Windows 10: Windows 10 Mail App using own Sent Folder instead of IMAP's

Discus and support Windows 10 Mail App using own Sent Folder instead of IMAP's in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I stopped using Outlook 2010 because of it's relatively clunky behaviour and it wasn't mapping IMAP folders very well, so I was over the moon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Finest Scientist, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Mail App using own Sent Folder instead of IMAP's

Hi,

I stopped using Outlook 2010 because of it's relatively clunky behaviour and it wasn't mapping IMAP folders very well, so I was over the moon when I gave the Windows 10 Mail app a go and found it to be relatively lightweight and actually seemed to be behaving quite well. However, I later figured out that the App creates its own folders: the biggest problem is mail from the Mail App ends up in "Sent Items" while every other system is more than happy to use a standard "Sent" folder, and the only way to get it back together is to manually move mail.

Drafts and deleted items do the same thing as well (though these are less of an issue, it's still fundamentally unhelpful). Is there any way to point the Mail App at the correct folders?

Also let me get ahead of the inevitable questions here:

• IT IS NOT A SYNC PROBLEM, mail goes up, mail goes down, it just does not go to the places I want on the IMAP, it goes to its own predefined folders
      • From what I can tell there is nothing "wrong" with the Mail app as it's doing what it thinks is right, so there is nothing for the troubleshooter to pick up
    • I have removed and re-added my mail account since and that hasn't sorted the issue

I was hoping to try and cheat the issue and get the IMAP server to just automatically move the items as they come in, but it seems I can't quite do that right now.

Is this a hopeless situation? If so, is there a better alternative to using Outlook or Mail?

:)

Finest Scientist, Nov 14, 2018

2. Windows 10 Mail App not using correct IMAP sent folder

Hi there,

I'm trying to use the included Mail/Calendar app with an IMAP account. While setting things up isn't a problem at all, there is a really annoying bug. It seems that the App isn't using the correct folders already present on the IMAP server:

My mailbox is configured using the standard IMAP folders:

• INBOX
    • INBOX.Drafts
    • INBOX.Sent
    • INBOX.Junk
    • INBOX.Trash
    This config used to work with Thunderbird, and also my Android Phone haves no problem using it.

Now, after setting up my mailbox using IMAP in Windows 10 Mail app it seems like the app is not using the right folders:

• Sent mail is stored within "Sent Items", instead of INBOX.Sent
    • It seems that drafts aren't syncing at all - at least a created draft isn't showing up in the IMAP folders
    Haven't collected more samples now for junk and trash, but there might be a problem with these as well. However, my biggest problem at the moment is the "Sent" issue...

So, what to do now?

It seems like the app isn't offering any option to config a proper IMAP folder mapping. The auto mapping isn't working correctly. Any workarounds? Registry hacks? Whatever?

Really crazy. IMAP folder mapping was possible in older versions of Outlook (e.g. 2010) and also Mozilla Thunderbird is offering such an option. Is it really true that the brand new Windows 10 calendar app lacks this basic functionality? To me it seems that
    simplicity ("lets keep the UI simple, because we want also monkeys to be able to configure it") overrules functionality? Crazy...

Any hacks or workarounds? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Martin

This is totally annoying.

Ohcomeonwhatacrapisthisnamepicking, Nov 14, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Mail App not using correct IMAP sent folder

I have the same problem and observed a sent mail message existing for about a second and then disappearing. It appears that Google / Gmail does not store any messages in IMAP/Sent or IMAP/Sent Mail. It appears Google moves IMAP sent message to its own
    Sent Mail folder a.k.a. in:sent

The issue I see is Windows 10 Mail does not sync in:sent or I can not add this Google folder as a Favorite.

What is really weird is I have some Gmail accounts working fine, but one account that is having the above problem. Deleting and re-adding the account does not solve the problem. In the accounts where sent mail is working, sent mail messages are in the
    same place as in my Gmail account is not work.

Therefore I believe there is a recent Microsoft Mail 10 bug: When an account is added to Mail, MS is looking at the wrong Gmail Sent Mail account (imap/sent mail) instead of Sent Mail (in:sent)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Regards,

Bob

BobSkowron, Nov 14, 2018
  4. 5imon Win User

Windows 10 Mail App using own Sent Folder instead of IMAP's

Configuring IMAP sent folders in Windows 10 mail app

I have exactly the same issue and am stumped as to why Microsoft can't understand it.

My IMAP folders are as follows:

• Inbox
    • Inbox.Archive
    • Inbox.Drafts
    • Inbox.Sent
    • Inbox.Spam
    • Inbox.Trash
    My webmail, ipad, iphone and Outlook all sync correctly: sent mail goes in Inbox.Sent, drafts go in the Inbox.Drafts folder deleted mail goes in Inbox.Trash.

But, the Windows 10 Mail app does not sync correctly. Instead of saving sent mail to the Inbox.Sent folder it creates a new top level folder and saves them there. Same with drafts and deleted items.

If this is default behaviour for the Mail app then it is extremely frustrating and pretty much makes it useless as it fragments my email and makes it hard to find anything.

There must be a way to tell Mail where to save things, rather than defaulting to its own created folder.

Thanks,

Simon

5imon, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Mail App using own Sent Folder instead of IMAP's

1. Windows 10 Mail App using own Sent Folder instead of IMAP's - Similar Threads - Mail App using

2. Sent mail not showing in sent folder on Windows mail app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sent mail not showing in sent folder on Windows mail app: I have just purchased a new laptop windows 11, and used the windows mail app to set up my 2 gmail accounts. I have an issue however that when i send a mail, it is sent and received without issue, however the sent email does not save into the sent folder.I have logged into the...
  3. Sent mail not showing in sent folder on Windows mail app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sent mail not showing in sent folder on Windows mail app: I have just purchased a new laptop windows 11, and used the windows mail app to set up my 2 gmail accounts. I have an issue however that when i send a mail, it is sent and received without issue, however the sent email does not save into the sent folder.I have logged into the...
  4. Custom "sent" and "deleted" IMAP folders for Windows 10 mail?

Custom "sent" and "deleted" IMAP folders for Windows 10 mail?: When I add an existing IMAP account, it automatically uses "Sent Items" and "Deleted Items" folders, alongside my existing folders. Is it possible somehow to change these to use my existing "special" folders? Thanks....
  5. windows 10,Mail app,sent mail.

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10,Mail app,sent mail.: i could not get updated cannot see the sent mails, that i am sending them using Mail app, neither i could see them in any other gmail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10mail-appsent-mail/37a02e20-4d0e-4559-9128-c090ccc909a2
  6. Windows 10 mail app - Sent Mail folder problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 mail app - Sent Mail folder problem: This problem started about a week ago. This problem is happening on my desktop computer and a Surface Pro X. The desktop was updated to win 2004 about a week ago but the Surface is still version 1909. I use the Windows 10 mail application. I have two gmail accounts and a...
  7. window 10 sent mail app

window 10 sent mail app: I would like to email adviser philc43,to thank him,I saw a reply to someone with same problem I had with mail app,sent items,I followed what he wrote,now app working ok,so if someone has his email address I would be grateful,or pass on my thanks,after trying many other...
  8. Windows 10 Mail not saving sent mail in Sent Mail folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Mail not saving sent mail in Sent Mail folder: Over the past week we wife & I have noticed that Windows 10 Mail is not saving our sent mails in the Sent Mail Folder. This was working previously. Has anyone else noticed this? Has there been a recent system update which may have introduced this problem?...
  9. Using Gmail on the Windows 10 Mail App - sent items do not appear in Sent folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using Gmail on the Windows 10 Mail App - sent items do not appear in Sent folder: I have been using the Windows Mail App to send emails, and while all previous email I had sent appear in my Sent folder, two emails I sent today don't show up. They didn't show up in the Windows app, but they also didn't show up in Gmail online when I cheked seperately. I...
  10. Windows Mail Sent folder

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Mail Sent folder: When I send a mail ,using the Windows Mail App, it sends OK but instead of seeing it in the Sent folder it appears in the Spam folder instead. Also if I click on "not spam" it then appears in my Inbox. This only occurs when sending with my Gmail address. Sending with either...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 mail app sent folder empty

2. mail app keep sent mail in sent item instead of sent folder

3. windows 10 mail app imap folders

4. Configuring IMAP sent folders in Windows 10 mail app,
  5. app for win 10 phone imap,
  6. windows 10 sent repository imap,
  7. windows 10 mail sent folder imap ,
  8. windows 10 mail imap folders,
  9. windows mail imap folders sent,
  10. windows 10 mail app imap folder,
  11. Mail Windows 10 IMAP folder,