Windows 10: Windows 10 Mail Client

Discus and support Windows 10 Mail Client in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I've noticed after trying the Win 10 Email client to access my hotmail accounts, if somebody attaches a picture to one of the emails and I download... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by storageman, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Mail Client

I've noticed after trying the Win 10 Email client to access my hotmail accounts, if somebody attaches a picture to one of the emails and I download that attachment, the resulting file is marked as "READ ONLY". Yet if I download the file while logged on to the outlook server, or use ThunderBird to download the attachment, the resulting file is NOT marked as "READ ONLY" ?

Does anybody have any ideas on how to stop the Win 10 Email client from creating "Read Only" files ?

:)

storageman, Jun 13, 2017
  2. XTuga Win User

Why Windows Mail are moving the "send mails" to the wrong folder?

Sorry guys, the information I provided was misleading

By Windows Mail, I'm referring to the Mail client that come with Windows 10 (Metro UI Mail), not the Mail client provided by the Windows Live suite

XTuga, Jun 13, 2017
  3. Mdup1219 Win User
    Cannot send email attachments using windows 10

I'm using two mail clients, @vodamail.co.za and @gmail.com and have been using them for many years without any problems. I'm having the same problem in windows 10 with both e-mail adresses in all these mail apps - windows 10 Mail, Mozilla thunderbird as
    well as Mailbird 10

Does not matter what the size of the attachments are cannot the smallest for eg 10kb cannot be send from windows mail and no attachments can be attached when I go straight onto the mail clients via internet.

This is not a mail client problem as I'm using my old computer with windows 7 to send the e-mails with attachments from both mail clients without any problems.

To prove that it is a windows 10 problem I did "PowerShell cmdlet, Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}" and this fixed the problem for that login but as soon as
    I restart my computer the problem is back.

Please look into this problem ASAP.

I see on the MS forum that many windows 10 Clients are having similar issues and you refer them to their mail clients without any luck. Please get an update to fix this issue for all the frustrated windows 10 Clients.

Regards

Marinda

Mdup1219, Jun 13, 2017
  4. Kelli Win User

Windows 10 Mail Client

you might try going to the settings/reading of Mail and try turning the "Image Preview" selection off. Not sure if this will do it on Windows Mail

Kelli, Jun 17, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. I'm running the same OS build and AV as you have listed. Not quite sure of your question so far as downloading, but I cannot duplicate your problem. I sign into 10 with MS account.

If I open Windows 10 Mail app I'm connected to the server and can sync at any time. If I'm on Outlook.com I'm "in" the server. Any which way I download or save an attachment it is open for editing, not read only, hidden, nor blocked as seen here.

Windows 10 Mail Client [​IMG]

I have > Windows Mail app > Settings > Reading > External content > Automatically download external images and style formats > Turned on. I only have Outlook accounts, so you may want to checkmark "Apply to all accounts" also if that be the case.

Windows 10 Mail Client [​IMG]

Tony K, Jun 17, 2017
  6. Helmut Win User
    Hi,
    It varies on mine, if I have produced the image or file the R attribute is not set, but if the source is from elsewhere that R attribute is set. At least that appears to be the case.

I think it is something to do where it's kept in the Mail App, presumably security.

Helmut, Jun 17, 2017
  7. Kelli Win User
    I am not familiar with Mail, this is the first that I have used it. There are not many setting options available and the one thing I dislike about it is that it provides no way to remove email address from it's autocomplete function. It also will perpetually store the email address of someone you may email only once.

Some poor married guy is going to email some girl and his wife will sooner or later find the email address. LOL

am wondering if uninstalling Mail and reinstalling will solve problem. I went to Outlook and removed old contacts but I would assume the mistyped ones would remain.

Kelli, Jun 17, 2017
  8. Windows 10 Mail Client

Kelli - Thanks for the response. I did reset the Image Preview, but I do not think that will fix the problem. Will update if it does fix it.

On your second post, Yes I may try that as a last response.

storageman, Jun 18, 2017
  9. Hippsie - I have that setting to download the external file automatically, so it can't be that. But Helmut posted after you that he also see's the Read only attribute on in his description.

storageman, Jun 18, 2017
  10. Helmut - thanks for getting back to me. Yes there must be a setting some place, but I'm confused with HippsieG's response, since he doesn't see the read attribute turned on ?

storageman, Jun 18, 2017
  11. Kelli Win User
    You're welcome.

I wasn't sure. I just started toying with the idea of using mail after I d/l the windows creator update. I'm not impressed with it all. I prefer Outlook. There is just not enough control or customization present in Mail to fulfill my requirements.

Is the folder where you actually download the file and saved to set as read only?

Kelli, Jun 18, 2017
  12. Tony K Win User
    At this point I'm thinking it has to be something in File Explorer settings as Kelli just mentioned.

Tony K, Jun 18, 2017
  13. Tony K Win User

Windows 10 Mail Client

When in Mail and you save the pic the default location should be in your Pictures folder.

Try right clicking on your Pictures folder and choose Properties. It should open to the General tab. In the Attributes section is the Read only box empty or filled?

Tony K, Jun 18, 2017
  14. Kelli Win User
    My Pictures Folder is marked Read only however every file within is not.

Kelli, Jun 18, 2017
  15. Tony K Win User
    Thanks for that, Kelli. Yes, same here, which is surprising and confusing me. *Confused

When attempting to clear that box, then re-clicking it a checkmark appears, then a fill square. There must be different levels of Attributes. I'm researching and learning that now.

Tony K, Jun 18, 2017
Thema:

Windows 10 Mail Client

1. Windows 10 Mail Client - Similar Threads - Mail Client

2. Microsoft Mail Client not Outlook - no such option to change layout to view bottom under...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Mail Client not Outlook - no such option to change layout to view bottom under...: Microsoft Mail Client not Outlook - no such option to change layout to view bottom of Preview Pane [Settings -> Reading Pane] unlike with Outlook.See attached Screenshots for Mal ver and Settings Option....
  3. Microsoft Mail Client not Outlook - no such option to change layout to view bottom under...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Mail Client not Outlook - no such option to change layout to view bottom under...: Microsoft Mail Client not Outlook - no such option to change layout to view bottom of Preview Pane [Settings -> Reading Pane] unlike with Outlook.See attached Screenshots for Mal ver and Settings Option....
  4. Where is the New Windows Outlook mail client sync button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is the New Windows Outlook mail client sync button: I am a long time user of the native Windows Mail client that comes be default with Windows.Specifically with respect to MSFT discontinuing support for the Windows default mail client and shifting to the New Outlook Windows client, there is no sync mail option to check for new...
  5. Where is the New Windows Outlook mail client sync button

Where is the New Windows Outlook mail client sync button: I am a long time user of the native Windows Mail client that comes be default with Windows.Specifically with respect to MSFT discontinuing support for the Windows default mail client and shifting to the New Outlook Windows client, there is no sync mail option to check for new...
  6. Windows 10 mail client sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 mail client sync: In the Windows 10 mail client now Outlook I have hooked up to my gmail account. If I delete a message in gmail, it still shows in the Outlook inbox. Is there some way I can sync the deletes?...
  7. Windows 10 mail client sync

Windows 10 mail client sync: In the Windows 10 mail client now Outlook I have hooked up to my gmail account. If I delete a message in gmail, it still shows in the Outlook inbox. Is there some way I can sync the deletes?...
  8. Windows 11 default mail client - Can not open biger PDF files recived from Xerox Scaner?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 default mail client - Can not open biger PDF files recived from Xerox Scaner?: Dear,In windows default email client i recived every document normaly, but when i sent pdf from Xerox scaner it shows attachment exist but blank with no pdf icon and i cannot open it, neather to download it. It is interesting thet some scaned documents from xerox scaner i am...
  9. Windows 11 default mail client - Can not open biger PDF files recived from Xerox Scaner?

Windows 11 default mail client - Can not open biger PDF files recived from Xerox Scaner?: Dear,In windows default email client i recived every document normaly, but when i sent pdf from Xerox scaner it shows attachment exist but blank with no pdf icon and i cannot open it, neather to download it. It is interesting thet some scaned documents from xerox scaner i am...
  10. When migrating mail into Outlook client from Windows Mail/Live Mail, do 'originals' stay...

When migrating mail into Outlook client from Windows Mail/Live Mail, do 'originals' stay...: In an attempt to recover old emails in Windows Live Mail, files that were 'corrupted' during a Windows Update, I've discovered that Outlook can easily open the WLM .eml files, although WLM no longer can. It's as if the headers, or whatever, that make up the WLM list of Inbox...