Windows 10: Windows 10 Mail - How see which address an email was sent from?

Discus and support Windows 10 Mail - How see which address an email was sent from? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I MUST be missing something here - but I got an email from someone I have several addresses for, with the Mail client showing just the name of the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by albdarned, Jan 7, 2016.

1. albdarned Win User

Windows 10 Mail - How see which address an email was sent from?

I MUST be missing something here - but I got an email from someone I have several addresses for, with the Mail client showing just the name of the sender, not the address the mail was sent from. I want to reply to a specific address, but also to know which address the email came from in the first place. In Live Mail I could check the email details and get lots of info about the email, including what address it was sent from. However, after poking around in Windows 10 Mail, I can not find any option to tell me what address the sender was sending from ... surely I am missing something obvious?!?!?!?!?!?

Thanks for the help!

:)

albdarned, Jan 7, 2016

2. Using E-mail aliases on Windows Phone 7

Hello

I use an alias e-mail address on Windows Live in the form *** Email address is removed for privacy *** This is a forwarding e-mail address and relies on a third party mail provider, in this case Windows Live to provide an e-mail address from which to receive, send and manage e-mails. The
    recipient of an e-mail that I send sees that it comes from *Email address* , though in actual fact I have sent it from *Email address*. This method gives me an e-mail address for life; if I move e-mail provider, I just point the address to another e-mail address,
    confirm that the address is mine and it works.

This works well in Windows Live on my PC, how can I get the same functionality on my HTC Trophy 7?

Chesterbelly, Jan 7, 2016
  3. JPappas Win User
    reply-to address won't be set in Windows Mail App

I have received an email through the Mail App in Windows 10 that contained a reply-to header with an email address.

Normally when I click on reply in the received email I should see the email address defined on reply-to header. I have checked the issue in Outlook and I works properly.

However in Mail App when I click on reply I still see the address of the original email sender and the mail cannot be sent to the address defined in reply-to header.

Is that a bug of the app or is extra configuration required?

JPappas, Jan 7, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

You can't show headers in the mail app unfortunately. If you want to see the header you would have to use webmail or a desktop mail program like Windows Live Mail (which still works fine in Windows 10, you can get it from here).

The only way within the mail app to tell the senders address is to click on reply. You can then right click to the address you are sending "to" and then "Show more". This will show their email address. Not very convenient... New features do keep appearing though (like linked inboxes recently) so perhaps they'll add it.

lx07, Jan 7, 2016
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    You really don't even have to use the Mail app that comes with Windows 10 at all. I answer all my email from the mail account on the web. Like Outlook.com for example It has lots of good features. I use a 3rd party program that monitors my mail accounts every 30 sec's and lets me know where ever I have new mail, then all I have to do is click on this small app, and it brings me right to my mail account. I also have Microsoft Office's Outlook mail program installed, but hardly ever use it now. So you do have other choices to consider.

OldMike65, Jan 7, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    You are not missing anything.
    That so-called Mail app is the most rudimentary, stone-age email program ever!
    You mentioned "Live Mail". I assume you meant Windows Live Mail. If so, please continue using WLM and ditch that Windows 10 Mail app.

davidhk, Jan 7, 2016
  7. albdarned Win User
    Thanks for the replies - seems like yet another instance where the whole 'dumbed-down' interface of Windows 10 has removed some basic functionality*Sad

I had tried the reply/more info (and just retried it) but it does not in fact provide me with any 'more info' than I had before pushing the button. It makes my taskbar icon flash for a moment is all. Perhaps the function should be renamed to 'icon flasher?'

Yes I was hesitant to return to Mail again after trying it at the Win10 rollout then quickly reverting, but all these 'upgrade or else' from Live messages convinced me to give it a try again as it had been a while.

So much for that!

Thanks again all*Smile

albdarned, Jan 7, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

Hmmm it works like this for me ....

Windows 10 Mail - How see which address an email was sent from? [​IMG]

but then still not a very practical solution (even if it was working)...

lx07, Jan 7, 2016
  9. albdarned Win User
    Just tried again - nothing but an icon flash here ... odd. I have the home version of Win10 if that's of interest...

albdarned, Jan 7, 2016
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    Using Outlook.com from the web works much better, more features, keeps all your msg's on the web, not on your hard drive. Catches 90% of junk mail and moves it to your junk mail folder, again on the web. Or could call it on the cloud.

OldMike65, Jan 8, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    I use Thunderbird on my laptop. It will show the headers. Any Webmail service will also show the headers.

The mail apps that come packaged with Windows. Have been nothing like the old Outlook Light was.

Just use Thunderbird and retrieve mail with imap. It will stay on the server, so that you can still retrieve it on the go.

bro67, Jan 8, 2016
  12. albdarned Win User
    I'll be looking in to that for sure.

Thanks again all for the help!

albdarned, Jan 9, 2016
  13. Slinky Win User

You guys are just doing it wrong, you can view the email address from the Sender simply by clicking the circle button shown below. Admittedly it still doesn't give the full properties but at least you don't need to click reply just to see it.

Slinky, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Mail - How see which address an email was sent from? - Similar Threads - Mail address email

2. I cannot see sent emails on my MAIL app.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot see sent emails on my MAIL app.: I cannot see sent emails on my MAIL app. How can I fix that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-see-sent-emails-on-my-mail-app/d56f163a-0589-4039-9cc6-b54c43f73065
  3. I cannot see sent emails on my MAIL app.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot see sent emails on my MAIL app.: I cannot see sent emails on my MAIL app. How can I fix that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-see-sent-emails-on-my-mail-app/d56f163a-0589-4039-9cc6-b54c43f73065
  4. Mail not syncing sent mail with exchange server email address

Mail not syncing sent mail with exchange server email address: Hello I have two email accounts set up for work purposes only. One is IMAP, the other one Exchange. The IMAP is syncing no problem. The Exchange email has stopped syncing my older SENT emails. Settings are correct and option to sync mail from any time is checked. This...
  5. How To Delete an Email Address from Windows 10 Mail Autofill

How To Delete an Email Address from Windows 10 Mail Autofill: I read some older forums. Has this issue been fixed yet? It looks like it has been an issue for a very long time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-an-email-address-from-windows-10/380b0671-418f-4657-9982-5ac257801bb3
  6. Sent Mail has strange From address *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Sent Mail has strange From address *** Email address is removed for privacy ***: Hi. Using Windows 10 Mail but has recently started to send emails with strange From addess. *** Email address is removed for privacy *** I managed amazingly! to track this address down under the Sync email settings under outlook.live.com I have made sure it is NOT the...
  7. email sent to gmail address

in Windows 10 Customization
    email sent to gmail address: I keep keep getting "DELIVERY HAS FAILED TO THESE RECIPIENTS OR GROUPS" for an email I am sending to gmail account. I KNOW it is the correct address. Please help. thank you...
  8. How delete an email address from Windows 10 mail autofill

How delete an email address from Windows 10 mail autofill: How do you delete an email address from the autofill file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-delete-an-email-address-from-windows-10-mail/52ab5a83-066a-4cde-a8ec-83a0831c28a4
  9. finding sent emails in mail for windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    finding sent emails in mail for windows 10: I sent an email using mail for windows 10 and now I can not find it or any others. My normal email is gmail which I should have used. Where can I find my sent email....
  10. How to remove an email address from windows 10 mail as shown

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove an email address from windows 10 mail as shown: I made contact with a company using their email address in the form of *** Email address is removed for privacy *** (- I have changed the name to protect the company concerned but the STYLE is the same form) Despite many attempts to remove the said address I am unable to...