Windows 10: Windows 10 Mail Indicates a Phantom Unread Message

Discus and support Windows 10 Mail Indicates a Phantom Unread Message in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; You saved my day! This worked for me! *Party Simply another bug in Windows 10 Mail app ..... *Thumbs Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mbratch, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

Windows 10 Mail Indicates a Phantom Unread Message

*Thumbs

Cliff S, Sep 6, 2016
  2. DeanoV6 Win User

For me, I resolved the problem by linking the effected inboxes together and then un-linking them again (making sure there are no unread emails before you unlink).

The issue seems to have been caused by linking/unlinking inboxes together when they have unread email in them - the count gets stuck on whatever the figure was when you last unlinked it.

DeanoV6, Jul 24, 2017
  3. Thanks! This worked for me as well. I created an account, to let you know. Many thanks!

Cuchulainn, Aug 2, 2017
  4. Windows 10 Mail Indicates a Phantom Unread Message

YES! This fixed the issue for me as well. Thanks, DeanoV6.

ExtremeRyno, Aug 10, 2017
  5. I have this exact same problem. I have tried re-synching, but that doesn't fix it. I also tried removing and re-adding the Inbox to Favorites, and that doesn't fix it. I only have one email account configured so I can't link or unlink email inboxes. Periodically, I keep getting "phantom" emails that disappear but leave a notification that my inbox has unread messages, though when I click show unread there is nothing. I am up to 5 right now. Any other thoughts?

scooter60624, Aug 10, 2017
  6. Amashelle Win User
    The linking of inboxes worked for me, too. It might be worth it to set up a secondary gmail account just to fix the problem.

I noticed that the numbers of imaginary unread e-mails were consistent with the number of emails I deleted directly from the notifications pop-up in the corner of the screen. It seems that, even if it's junk mail or something you know you don't want to read, it's still worth it to open Mail and delete it from your inbox.

Amashelle, Aug 15, 2017
  7. Phone Man Win User
    For the past week or so my taskbar icon showed unread e-mails in error also. I did the remove/add inbox from favorites and then unpinned icon from taskbar. I have pinned it back and it is clean. I suspect it will come back but time will tell.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Aug 15, 2017
  8. PhilC50 Win User

Yes, it will come back.I have found no permanent solution.

PhilC50, Aug 23, 2017
  9. JohnnyGui Win User
    I've got the same problem after the last Mail app update that I got through the Windows Store. Is there any fix for this yet?

JohnnyGui, Aug 27, 2017
  10. djbaxter Win User
    I'll be darned. That worked! *Smile

Thank you.

djbaxter, Sep 2, 2017
  11. Hello

I have found that if you open one of the messages totally by clicking on the open message in a new window then my phantom messages magically go away....lol

Hope this helps

Barnflyno1, Sep 22, 2017
  12. None of these work for me.

I have unlinked and then re-linked the inboxes. I have opened a message in a new window and closed it again. I have removed the inbox from Favourites and then replaced it. All the while opening and closing Mail too.

The counter on the taskbar icon seems to be resolutely stuck at "1" unread message. It doesn't disappear when I have no unread messages, and it doesn't increase when I have more than 1 message. It stays at "1" even when Mail is closed.

Has anyone found a proper cure yet?

ETA: I have turned off "Badges" in the Settings, Personalisation, Taskbar and the notification number 1 has therefore disappeared. I guess that means the correct term for it is a "Badge"

Keeping Up, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Mail Indicates a Phantom Unread Message - Similar Threads - Mail Indicates Phantom

2. Windows 10 Mail Icon Showing Unread Messages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Mail Icon Showing Unread Messages: This has just happened recently.Windows 10 taskbar Mail Icon was showing 1 or 2 messages unread when all are read.I discovered that when accessing mail by the Outlook button on msn.com,, the unread message indication remained.When accessing mail by clicking on the task bar...
  3. Windows 10 Mail Icon Showing Unread Messages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Mail Icon Showing Unread Messages: This has just happened recently.Windows 10 taskbar Mail Icon was showing 1 or 2 messages unread when all are read.I discovered that when accessing mail by the Outlook button on msn.com,, the unread message indication remained.When accessing mail by clicking on the task bar...
  4. Phantom error Message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phantom error Message: About three days ago I plugged my S21+ Samsung into a USB port to charge while I was working on my laptop. No I am continually getting error messages and I can't find where to clear something that will make it go away. I appreciate any help someone may have....
  5. Phantom error Message

Phantom error Message: About three days ago I plugged my S21+ Samsung into a USB port to charge while I was working on my laptop. No I am continually getting error messages and I can't find where to clear something that will make it go away. I appreciate any help someone may have....
  6. Phantom unread message in windows mail

in Windows 10 Customization
    Phantom unread message in windows mail: Go to "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\" Then backup et delete hxdxxxxx.xxx files. That's work for me...
  7. Unread Messages in Outlook

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unread Messages in Outlook: When I open my Office Outlook all of my messages show as already read. It only started this about a month ago. I have changed the settings numerous times just as the instructions say, but it just goes right back to showing all messages read. I want my unread messages to...
  8. Discovered Bug in Windows 10 Mail App - Phantom Unread Messages Icon in Taskbar & Start Menu

Discovered Bug in Windows 10 Mail App - Phantom Unread Messages Icon in Taskbar & Start Menu: I've discovered whats causing the phantom unread messages icon to show unread emails in the taskbar and start menu. Steps to reproduce: 1. New unread emails sitting in the Inbox (or any folder). 2. Click on the unread email, then quickly right-click. 3. Before the...
  9. Windows 10 Mail Indicates Phantom Unread Message

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Mail Indicates Phantom Unread Message: I am having a problem with Windows 10 Mail in which the icon in my task bar, and the icon in the start menu, indicates that there is one (1) unread message available. However, all messages have been retrieved and read. I had this problem before, quite some time ago, and...
  10. Select Unread Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Select Unread Mail: am i missing something or did we lose the ability to select all unread mail in the Mail app? seemd like a backward step if true. are thelNning to address this? i sent feedbback already. thanks. 8054

Users found this page by searching for:

1. phantom unread message in outlook

2. mail icon shows 1 unread windows 10

3. phantom notification email inbox

4. there is an unread message stuck in my junk mail?,
  5. how to fix the unread message count on the windows 10 email tile,
  6. windows 10 outlook email showing unread email but there is nothing there,
  7. mail app unread count stuck,
  8. mail icon in Windows 10 shows unread messages,
  9. windows 10 mail icon shows unread items,
  10. the mail box in the start menu indicates a i have a message but there is nothing there,
  11. windows 10 outlook unread email,
  12. windows mail unread messages icon,
  13. email icon showing on windows 10 start up page when no unread emails in outlook,
  14. win 10 inbox shows unread,
  15. windows 10 mail stuck showing unread message