Windows 10: Windows 10 Mail program won't open embedded links, says "Unable to open"

Discus and support Windows 10 Mail program won't open embedded links, says "Unable to open" in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I tried the fix suggested by Andre Da Costa (in January 2018) in the Windows Forum but it didn't resolve the issue. The thread was locked so I couldn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by G M R, Sep 30, 2019.

1. G M R Win User

Windows 10 Mail program won't open embedded links, says "Unable to open"

I tried the fix suggested by Andre Da Costa (in January 2018) in the Windows Forum but it didn't resolve the issue. The thread was locked so I couldn't post the solution I found that did work.

The solution is detailed here

https://psychlinks.ca/when-windows-10-wont-open-links-from-your-email-in-your-browser/

:)

G M R, Sep 30, 2019
  2. Suman_B Win User

Windows 10 Mail - Unable to open links

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to open links in emails on Windows 10 Mail app, In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, we would need some information.

1. Is the issue specific to Mail app? Are you able open hyperlinks from other applications like Word?
    2. Did you try accessing different links through Firefox?
    3. May I know if you have set Firefox as the

default program
      ?

I suggest you to try the following method and check:

Method 1: Update Windows 10.

Suggest you to
    update the Windows 10

Method 2: Update Firefox.

Check if there is an updated version of Firefox as you are able to open the links through Edge.

Please reply with details and we'll be happy to assist you.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Suman_B, Sep 30, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Mail program won't open embedded links, says "Unable to open"

I love this program otherwise; it's fast and looks great, and much easier to find things in than gmail, for example. BUT I can't open any embedded links, so I can't post to Facebook from this program and can't visit recommended websites unless I copy the
    URL and paste into my browser (or go to gmail....). Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I think there must be a setting I can change, but I can't find it.

Thanks

Windows 10 Home user

MaxineKaufman-Lacusta, Sep 30, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Mail program won't open embedded links, says "Unable to open"

p.s. After I tried these steps with no result, I tried the virtual assistant. I didn't really expect "her" to be helpful, but one of the links "she" sent described a similar problem, and one of the responses worked for me, too: i.e., the person explained
    that it isn't the Mail app but Windows that opens the links, and it does so in your designated default browser. Well, I had designated Chrome as my default browser but had subsequently uninstalled Chrome. So I changed my default browser to Edge, and now
    it works like a charm. Thought you'd like to know, in case someone else asks this question. Cheers and thanks.

MaxineKaufman-Lacusta, Sep 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Mail program won't open embedded links, says "Unable to open" - Similar Threads - Mail program won't

2. Unable to open Links

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open Links: When trying to open a LINK blue alpha-numeric text an error message appears: "Unable to open https:// XXXXXX" This happens on the home page, in mail and in instruction text. However within a single application, the link will be accessed. I am using Windows 10 - 64 bit....
  3. Unable to open file links in Mail app Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open file links in Mail app Windows 10: When I want to open a file link in email which is in my local C drive folder, it shows "unable to open file:///file location". I cannot open it in the mail app in Window10 but I can open it in Microsoft Outlook app. At the same time I can open all http or https links, I just...
  4. Windows 10 mail links not opening correctly

Windows 10 mail links not opening correctly: If I receive an email with with either a web link or an attachment and click on it does not full open the associated app Edge, Picture, Adobe, Word but it does cause the app to appear on the tool bar and to be highlighted indicating that the app has been selected. Clicking on...
  5. Links won't open through email in mail app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Links won't open through email in mail app: Since a recent update I can no longer open any links provided in any email I get. I've had to right click and copy link to another browser to open it instead. How can I fix this? This only happens on my laptop and not on phone....
  6. unable to open links

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unable to open links: About 2 weeks ago microsoft did a big update, since then I have been unable to open links in my gmail account, is there a solution to this problem? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-links/be8e0675-9283-46fe-af13-d8f98b7748f1
  7. Unable to open links in Windows 10 mail app after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to open links in Windows 10 mail app after update: After update I faced an issue that is specific to Firefox browser. I cannot open links in e-mails on Windows 10 Mail app. How to sort it out?...
  8. Unable to open web links on Windows 10 Mail

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to open web links on Windows 10 Mail: The subject line pretty much says it but upon clicking any article that comes into my mail box that I wish to view I get a window that says click or tap on the link but when I do it states it cannot open the link. This only happens on Windows 10 desktop. Android phone and...
  9. Windows 10 Mail - Unable to open links

Windows 10 Mail - Unable to open links: Since i updated my Windows 10 to the latest build version 17763.557, I'm unable to open links in e-mails on Windows 10 Mail program using my standard browser Firefox. Although if I use another browser like for example, Edge, it opens normally like it did before this new...
  10. MY GAME WON'T OPEN,SAYS AN EMBEDDED PAGE,GO TO JAVASCRIPT

MY GAME WON'T OPEN,SAYS AN EMBEDDED PAGE,GO TO JAVASCRIPT: HOW DO I FIX AN EMBEDDED PAGE SO MY GAME APP. WILL OPEN https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-game-wont-opensays-an-embedded-pagego-to/3f079a35-4269-488c-aa2b-8badad86978e

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Unable to use hyperlinks in Windows mail and browsers

2. I cant open things that to save you and it says click or tap to open and when it opens it says unable to open

3. Windows 10 Mail program wont open embedded links says Unable to open