Windows 10: Windows 10 Mail saving the wrong password for my account.

Discus and support Windows 10 Mail saving the wrong password for my account. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I recently decided to switch from a third-party software over to Microsoft Mail the windows app, NOT outlook. When I went to add an e-mail... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Dawn Violet Todd, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Mail saving the wrong password for my account.

Hi,

I recently decided to switch from a third-party software over to Microsoft Mail the windows app, NOT outlook.

When I went to add an e-mail account, though, it wasn't syncing any of my inbox. I decided to check, and sure enough, the app was saving a different password for that account than the one I typed in nearly 2x as many characters.

So, I tried deleting and re-making the account, and the same problem happened.

I used the "reset" function of the app, which is supposed to clear any kind of cache that the mail app has, and the problem STILL happened.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on?

:)

Dawn Violet Todd, Oct 16, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

windows 10 MAIL

Windows 10 Mail saving the wrong password for my account. [​IMG]
    Note Please notice: This is how it should work, in theory. However I have not tested this method and post this only as a non-tested idea.

When you sign in to Windows with an MS account and you have set that account up in the Mail app, you cannot delete the account. You can delete all other mail accounts in Mail app but not the first, initial account when signing in with an MS account.

In theory, this workaround should work and achieve what you want to, remove the IMAP account and set it up as a POP3 account:
    1. Enable POP3 for your Outlook.com / Hotmail.com email account, link in Cliff's post
    2. If you have set up the Two Step Verification for your Outlook.com / Hotmail.com account you need to set up an app password for that account account at https://account.live.com/proofs/Manage:

Windows 10 Mail saving the wrong password for my account. [​IMG]
    3. Switch to a local account (tutorial)
    4. Delete the IMAP account from the Mail app (tutorial, Option Two). When signed in to Windows with a local account you can delete even the initial mail account from Mail app, something not allowed when signed in with an MS account
    5. Set up your account as POP3 account (tutorial, Option One Step 13). Notice that if you have set up the Two Step Verification you need to use the app password set up in step 2 above instead of your real Outlook.com / Hotmail.com password; your Outlook.com / Hotmail.com password will still be what it is, it remains the same, but Windows Mail app cannot use that password if the Outlook.com / Hotmail.com account is set up as POP3 account and it is using the Two Step Verification. In that case it needs the so called app password
    6. Switch back to MS account (tutorial)

That's it. From this Microsoft help page you can find the required POP3 and SMTP servers: Set up an email app with Outlook.com - Outlook.com Help

3. Dilbert Win User
    Windows Live Mail by Windows 7

Dear All,

Core i3 with Windows 7 Home. Recently swapped the HD
    due to crash & reinstalled Win 7 including WLM (Windows
    Live Mail). I encountered 3 problems while configuring
    my account & restoring the (previously exported) inbox.

1/ A family member of mine used my system to check his e-mail.
    To do this he created a second account in WLM in order to read
    his hotmail e-mail traffic. I have now deleted the account but
    when WLM is launched i repeatedly get a login window
    containing the details of the family member's e-mail address
    instead of my details. How can i clear this and make sure that
    when WLM is launched only my e-mail addres is visible?

2/ Mijn account is configured to remember its password,
    and enable immediate access of my mails.
    Despite of this i get a login window when WLM is started.
    When i fill out e-mailaddress & password and press enter
    the account is not recognised and WLM pretends that e-mail
    address or password are wrong. Nevertheless i can see the headers
    of my e-mails and if i close the login window i can also access & read
    the e-mails.. How can i remove the login window permanently?

3/ I'd like to disable the option "leave copy on server" Where can i find
    this option in WLM?

Thanks in advance,
    Dilbert

Dilbert, Oct 16, 2020
  4. Hitman Win User

Windows 10 Mail saving the wrong password for my account.

E mail problem

Hello
    This is a weird thing going on with my wife's e mail a little hard to explain.
    We are with time.Warner/spectrum
    I have asked at there sites and searched on lone put no real info.
    Windows 10 e mail app is Windows live mail

Ok here we go
    I set it all up ports and security and ports it is all working
    DownLoads the required folders sends and recieves mail all is good.
    It will be working for days even weeks and then all of a sudden the whole account is gone.
    All folders emails saved and deleted all gone.
    This have happened a few times now at least 4 or 5 times 2 times in the last month.

Is there a virus or malware or something that is doing this. ?
    Every time it has happened I do change the password.
    She has another account with verizon that still works and have np with.

Any suggestions or advise please
    Thaks
    Ruben

Hitman, Oct 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Mail saving the wrong password for my account.

1. Windows 10 Mail saving the wrong password for my account. - Similar Threads - Mail saving wrong

2. Windows 10 Mail won't save my password correctly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Mail won't save my password correctly: As stated above, Mail keeps altering my password. I enter the correct 8 character password, and Mail insists on changing it to 16 characters. Here is a screenshot of the correct 8 character password I enter:But when I go back to verify, Mail has changed it back to 16...
  3. Windows 10 Mail app keeps changing my password to the wrong password

Windows 10 Mail app keeps changing my password to the wrong password: This question has come up before with 100's of confirmations, but no real answers from Microsoft. These people including myself need a fix, pronto. The mail settings stores the wrong password and cannot access mail....
  4. Mail Account Passwords

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail Account Passwords: I am attempting to enter email accounts on another device. When I try to get the passwords from the Mail account in windows 10, all I get is 16 dots. Is there a way to view what these passwords actually are?...
  5. Autofill passwords on mail accounts in windows 10

Autofill passwords on mail accounts in windows 10: I added an old AOL account to my Window 10 mailboxes. I then changed the password. Now the autofill function in windows 10 reverts to my old password. I have tried deleting the account and readding, I have cleared cookies....help please...
  6. Windows 10 services and account passwords being saved/not saved

Windows 10 services and account passwords being saved/not saved: I ma having trouble with my Adobe desktop apps account logging me out. When I shut down the computer and the restart, I need to log in again. Microsoft 365 Office Family does not log me out. One help screen I found said to look at the Credential Manager service. It is set...
  7. Password Protect my Account in Mail for Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Protect my Account in Mail for Windows 10: I use a shared computer on a shared account. We use Mail for Windows 10. Because of this, everyone's email accounts are visible to whoever is using the app. Is there a way to protect our accounts with our account password so this does not happen?...
  8. User account Windows 10 password always wrong?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account Windows 10 password always wrong?: Good evening, I bought a new notebook and set it up today. Right from the start it required entering the password of my Microsoft account on restart. But since I don't prefer to secure my password, I looked online for instructions and followed them: Wie kann ich meinen PC...
  9. Passwords for mail accounts and OneDrive not saved over Restarts after applying Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Passwords for mail accounts and OneDrive not saved over Restarts after applying Windows 10...: Hi, ever since applying Windows 10 update 2004, with every boot of my PC, I have to supply passwords for: all of my email accounts 4 gmail and one pop server when Outlook starts OneDrive Microsoft account This was not the case before update 2004. I would boot the PC and...
  10. Windows 10 not saving accounts and passwords

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 not saving accounts and passwords: I have a perplexing issue. My Windows 10 laptop does not save accounts and passwords for sites that I want to do so with. Now, my Windows 10 Desktop PC functions as it is supposed to with no problem, but not my laptop. I have it enabled to do so, but it does not. It asks to...