Windows 10: Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings

Discus and support Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Why is it exactly that every time Windows 10 has a "major update", all of my carefully set settings are wiped out and reset??? Let me first point out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bob jones 2, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings

Why is it exactly that every time Windows 10 has a "major update", all of my carefully set settings are wiped out and reset???

Let me first point out that this is NOT the same as some of the other posts on this site, where the system has created a copy of the profile folder, or the registry entry in ProfileList having the .bak extension. Neither of those is the case here.

It makes no sense, the level of things that are "changed back". For what purpose are they changed? Why so many things? And why even allow settings to be set at all if you are going to just wipe them out? Does that not defeat the purpose? Is it unintentional that they are reset? Is it because they are apps, for some reason? I really just want an answer; some reason for this.

It changes my Start Menu settings, including program links I've renamed, folders I've created, and new links I've added.

It changes default programs and apps back to Microsoft Programs, and removes any custom default apps I've assigned previously.

And it interrupts my work day, which is long enough as it is! It is bad enough that I am typing this when I should be finishing today's report, which won't happen now because when I came in, all my settings, which were set to increase my workflow, have been wiped ONCE AGAIN by a major update this time, version 2004. I am the IT staff here, and many of my staff are upset about it, as well. What good is Windows 10 "Pro" if you cannot set it the way you need it to work?

Thank you for your time in reading and answering me.

:)

bob jones 2, Jun 2, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, Jun 2, 2020
  3. Erik Win User
    Is it possible to prevent Windows to reset many system settings to default after a major update (Fall Creators Update)?

I recently installed the Windows 10 Creators Update on many of my PCs, and as with previous "major" update releases, I noticed that many of the system settings, including things like:

• Energy options in device manager ("allow device to wake the computer from sleep"
      re-enabled for mice and keyboards which is annoying because I
      intentionally turned these off)
    • basic mode of displaying the taskmanager and many more get reset to
      their defaults.

Since major updates are coming approximately twice a year, I was wondering: why does Windows do that, and is there a way to turn this behavior off? It is especially annoying if you install a computer for a novice user, and after an update you have to redo all these customization steps again.

On the other hand, many things like explorer settings stay the same, for example things like "show hidden files" or "show file extensions".

So the main questions are:

• which settings are reset after an update, and what's the criteria behind that selection, where others aren't?
    • is there a list of the things that are reset during a
      major update for reference?

Erik, Jun 2, 2020
  4. btarunr Win User

Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings

Next Major Windows 10 Update Named "Spring Creators Update"

The next Windows 10 service pack major update has been named "Spring Creators Update." Windows Insider Program users toying with Build 17618 of the operating system spotted a listing of all the major updates of Windows 10 known to the build, when running "Get-VMHostSupportedVersion" in Power Shell. The last entry reads "Microsoft Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803." The version number (1803 in this case), often coincides with the public release date of the update. The Fall Creators Update 1709, released in 2017-09 (September) to Insiders. Going by that convenion, Spring Creators Update could see a "branded" Insider preview build this month, 2018-03 (March), with a public release usually 3-4 weeks after, presumably before Summer kicks in.

Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings pEBOXRTl55rNtJHh_thm.jpg

btarunr, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings

1. Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings - Similar Threads - Major Updates Resetting

2. Major Issues With Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Major Issues With Windows 10 Update: I've tried what seems like everything and nothing has worked. My Windows REFUSES to update and I have no idea what could be wrong. When I run sfs scan it says I need to restart my pc so Ill do that but it just says it again after; It gives me this error notification when I...
  3. Major Issues With Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Major Issues With Windows 10 Update: I've tried what seems like everything and nothing has worked. My Windows REFUSES to update and I have no idea what could be wrong. When I run sfs scan it says I need to restart my pc so Ill do that but it just says it again after; It gives me this error notification when I...
  4. Major Issues With Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Major Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing my Registry Settings, Driver Settings, and More

in Windows 10 Customization
    Major Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing my Registry Settings, Driver Settings, and More: Upon updating to the most recent version of Windows 10 Pro for Workstation 2004, a lot of changes that I have previously made to the registry either get changed or completely deleted. One I know right off of the top of my head are...
  6. Windows 10 Updates causing major changes to my settings.

Windows 10 Updates causing major changes to my settings.: I am aware that this is not a new issue but I need to make my view known in this discussion. Given the security issues with windows 7 , I upgraded my laptop to windows 10 Pro version. I spent some time getting the settings the way I need them for my use of the laptop. I...
  7. My backup settings are resets after every Windows major update

My backup settings are resets after every Windows major update: I use "Backup using File History" feature to backing up folders to another drive, and after every Windows major update their settings will resets. I mean what my folders are no longer backing up after update anymore. Is it normal behavior? If yes, so, it is possible to make...
  8. Feedback: Screen saver settings getting reset on every major update

Feedback: Screen saver settings getting reset on every major update: This isn't a question. I just finished looking all over this site for a place to simply leave feedback on Windows 10. Failed to find any such place. Does Microsoft not want user feedback? Getting some anyway. Every time Microsoft sends out a major update to Windows 10...
  9. Will I receive major updates under these settings?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will I receive major updates under these settings?: Hello In the following screenshot I show how I have set Windows Update on my main Windows 10 Home installation. I always use a local account and I do not wish to use a Microsoft account on this installation. 1) Will I still receive the major updates? 2) Will I still...
  10. Mouse settings still not saving after Windows 10 major update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Mouse settings still not saving after Windows 10 major update: I was more than disappointed to find after downloading this major update for Windows 10, that the Mouse settings have still not been addressed. Apparently, this is one of those flaws that will go on and on. I am using an ASUS Rupublic of Games Laptop with an ELAN Input...