Windows 10: Windows 10 Mandatory Profiles

Discus and support Windows 10 Mandatory Profiles in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi I have setup a demo of Azure Lab Services for my Windows 10 Image I need to lock this image down with mandatory profile, once all has been locked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/irus76, Aug 8, 2020.

1. /u/irus76 Win User

Windows 10 Mandatory Profiles

Hi I have setup a demo of Azure Lab Services for my Windows 10 Image

I need to lock this image down with mandatory profile, once all has been locked down, I need to ensure only 1 application is available - ie. Adobe CC Suite.

So when my student users login to the RDP Session of the Azure Lab Services VM - all they get is the Adobe CC. Suite.

Once they log off, the image is refreshed immediately and nothing is saved on the desktop.

submitted by /u/irus76
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/irus76, Aug 8, 2020
  2. johnpaul Win User

Mandatory Profile (.v5)

Hi
    Has anyone successfully got mandatory profiles working with Windows 10 (currently running Win10 Enterprise 1511).

Essentially, I have it 99% of the way there, but whilst the start bar is clickable (which it previously wasn't), it now shows a blank start menu - ignoring either the Mandatory Profile Start Menu, or the XML Start Menu imported via Group Policy.

My steps are based on having a dedicated "mandatory" local account to do all user customisations before copying it up to the netlogon share rather than using the default profile - which works fine but has none of our app customizations built in - unless I start look at importing reg keys etc;

So here are my steps;

Login to the gold image machine as .\mandatory
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Right Click on HKCU and give the following full permissions – logging in as a domain admin first
    a. Everyone
    b. All Application Pools
    c. Authenticated Users
    4. Close Regedit
    This is essentially instead of doing it via loading the hive - which seems to really help the start menu (I think)

5. Reboot the machine
    6. Login as domain administrator – run Windows Enabler
    7. Copy the profile to \\%domaincontroller%\netlogon\profiles\.v5 with everyone as permissions
    8. Change a user to use that as their profile
    9. Reboot the computer (giving AD enough time to replicate)
    10. Login as that user
    11. Start Menu is clickable and edge works on the task bar

However!.

It does not pull in the start menu xml that we have configured, nor the start menu contained within the mandatory profile, but the start menu is fully clickable!

I think other ways I have read on mandatory profiles about loading the hive from another machine didn't work because the DeviceAccess registry key seems to be permanantley locked even if I give everyone full permission - if I do it locally and then export the full mandatory profile it works.

In anticipation

John Paul

johnpaul, Aug 8, 2020
  3. ath1975us Win User
    Windows 10 Mandatory Profile Configuration

Hello,

I'm trying to configure Mandatory Profiles in a Windows 10 Environment.

I'm following this article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/mandatory-user-profile

Everything works correctly if I specify the mandatory path in the properties of the user account in Active Directory Users and Computers.

I have the share

\\server\share\manny.v6

and the profile specified in the user properties as

\\server\share\manny

If I try to configure this in Group Policy it does not work. I tried under Computer Config | System | User Profiles.

Can you still configure the Mandatory Profile path through Group Policy?

ath1975us, Aug 8, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Mandatory Profiles

Windows 10 Mandatory Profile Path

Hello,

Has anyone configured mandatory profiles for Windows 10 v1607? It works if I specify the mandatory path in the properties of the user account, but it does not work if I specify the path in Group Policy under computer configuration | System | User Profiles.

hostedshared, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Mandatory Profiles

1. Windows 10 Mandatory Profiles - Similar Threads - Mandatory Profiles

2. Windows 10 Mandatory Profile no longer loading profile from the share

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Mandatory Profile no longer loading profile from the share: When logging in using a mandatory profile none of the files from the share location profile copy locally. The profile has worked for years in Windows 10 and I just recently noticed it was no longer working correctly.Followed Microsoft's instructions for creating a mandatory...
  3. Windows 10 Mandatory Profile no longer loading profile from the share

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Mandatory Profile no longer loading profile from the share: When logging in using a mandatory profile none of the files from the share location profile copy locally. The profile has worked for years in Windows 10 and I just recently noticed it was no longer working correctly.Followed Microsoft's instructions for creating a mandatory...
  4. Windows 10 Mandatory Profile no longer loading profile from the share

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Issue locking down Windows 10 Pro via Mandatory Network Profile & GPO

Issue locking down Windows 10 Pro via Mandatory Network Profile & GPO: I've been trying to lock down some network Windows 10 Pro machines via Mandatory Network Profile & GPO. When I apply StartMenu and Taskbar restrictions, force the gpupdate/restart and log in to the machines I'm getting a Critical Error on the Start button. I disable the...
  6. How do I make a mandatory profile (desktop, user setting, etc) as default for all users...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I make a mandatory profile (desktop, user setting, etc) as default for all users...: Hello! My question is in the title I have to create a new image for Win10 laptops which will be installed on 48 tablet PC I'm kind of new at this job so I'd rather ask first I'm planning on using clonezilla, but I'm not really sure it will make the desktop the same for all...
  7. Mandatory Roaming profile users stuck at logoff after kb4522355 - any fix?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mandatory Roaming profile users stuck at logoff after kb4522355 - any fix?: After installing the above update or any cumulative after that one, my mandatory profile users get stuck logging of. It sits ans spins and says "Please wait for user profile service". It will sit there for hours. Other user types are not affected. I do note in the notes...
  8. How to create Mandatory User Profiles in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create Mandatory User Profiles in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Many a time system admins need to create a pre-configured user account which works with fixed settings. These profiles are called mandatory user profiles (one of many Unique profiles) in Windows 10. In this guide, we will share how you [...] This post How to...
  9. What is mandatory profile

What is mandatory profile: Hello, On windows 10, when you copy a profile 'exemple : default profile to C:\users\profile.v6 ' , there is a new select case 'mandatory profile' What does it mean ? what is the difference beteween older version and this, What's difference to rename ntuser.dat to...
  10. how to create mandatory 10 user (local not share profiles)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    how to create mandatory 10 user (local not share profiles): Hello I have a problem creating the mandatory profile with windows 10 version creators update, with past versions i was taking the hidden file (ntuser.dat) by putting it in regedit and editing it (change user name with% username%) just by doing this Procedure once i...