Windows 10: Windows 10 - Maximum Processor State isn't working

Discus and support Windows 10 - Maximum Processor State isn't working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It was fine before when I'm still using Windows 7. Now it doesn't matter how much I limit my CPU max state, it always at 100% under load. Funny thing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BlueVellFire, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Windows 10 - Maximum Processor State isn't working

It was fine before when I'm still using Windows 7.
    Now it doesn't matter how much I limit my CPU max state, it always at 100% under load.
    Funny thing is, when I raise the minimum CPU state to higher than 5%, it works without issue.

Perhaps this can help in some way :

Windows 10 - Maximum Processor State isn't working Untitled.jpg

CPU : i7-4790 [Non Overclock]

I usually keep it under 80% max state, I tried lowering to 10% max state, still the same.
    I'm on standard cooler which is the only thing keeping me going. [To avoid overheating]
    Can't afford a better cooler yet. [Might not needed if anyone can solve this issue !]

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank You.

:)

BlueVellFire, Jul 9, 2020
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Jul 9, 2020
  3. Spindrift Win User
    Maximum processor state?

Hi all,

I'm not a techie so please bear with me.

I just purchased a new laptop. HP with Windows 10 OS. AMD A6-9220 Dual-Core processor and 4 gig of ram. After it's initial setup and removing all the bloatware/crapware, most of the apps and disabling everything in the startup, I noticed that when the computer was not really doing much or much of anything, the fan was running a lot and on high, thus being noisy and annoying, and blowing out very warm air, with the corner area by the vents getting quite warm. At times the processor utilization was at or near 100% and at it's maximum burst (acceleration) speed of 2.9 ghz. Base clock speed is 2.5 ghz.

I checked some forums and on YouTube, and found one video in which the uploader talked about having a problem with his laptop's fan running almost constantly on high after he had updated from Windows 8.1 to 10.

He showed in the video that he seemingly had found a simple/quick solution. Go to Power Options, change Plan settings, change Advanced power settings, Processor power management, Maximum processor state ====>Change Plugged in setting default from 100% to 30%.

He said that immediately worked for him and the fan became barely audible and running normally. He mentioned he was not a gamer and didn't know if the change would affect gaming but for what he used his laptop for the change seemed to work fine.

Cut to the chase: I made the same adjustment and it worked as it did for him. I haven't noticed any real change in performance/speed, duly noting here that the laptop is a budget (entry level) model and isn't exactly zippy to begin with. I was wondering just exactly what minimum and maximum processor state means and what does lowering the maximum state to 30% actually do and is it in anyway harmful/deterimental or not, short-term or long-term?

Thanks in advance for any/all input.

Spindrift, Jul 9, 2020
  4. Windows 10 - Maximum Processor State isn't working

Could not able to change Maximum processor state

The options like Minimum Processor State and
    Maximum Processor State are not displayed under Processor Mangement in Advanced Power option. It displays only System cooling policy. I want to know the reason behind this and want to know
    How can I change my Maximum Processor State. Kindly help me please

Windows 10 - Maximum Processor State isn't working fc3f16f6-2698-4dc4-be58-cbbb3e66b2af.jpg

Sathish Selva, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - Maximum Processor State isn't working

1. Windows 10 - Maximum Processor State isn't working - Similar Threads - Maximum Processor State

2. Advanced Power Plan Setting "Maximum Processor state" and "Minimum processor state" not...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advanced Power Plan Setting "Maximum Processor state" and "Minimum processor state" not...: SPECS: Win 10 (obv) i7 10700F 16GB 3000mhz 1660 Super So I used to set my processor states to prevent overheating, as my processor runs at 4.6 ghz, and only a few games can get it beyond what I like in terms of temp (80c+ or 176f+), as it generally rests around 80c/174f...
  3. Maximum and Minimum Processor State missing in Power management settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum and Minimum Processor State missing in Power management settings: I tried the command prompt fix, downloading the registry file and running it and both didn't work to bring back those 2 options.I am running on Windows 10 20H2 version. Pls help asap...
  4. Maximum processor state setting not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Maximum processor state setting not working: Power options: Maximum processor state setting is not working *only* when laptop is plugged in. I set minimum and maximum to be 5% and 50% respectively for both plugged, and on battery. When it is on battery, CPU clock speed drops significantly but if I plug it in, there is...
  5. CPU speed throttling Maximum Processor State does not work anymore

in Windows 10 Customization
    CPU speed throttling Maximum Processor State does not work anymore: First, I used the CPU speed limitation and system cooling policy=passive to keep down the fan noise. This worked fine, for a long time. But now I suddenly get this behaviour: Maximum Processor State: 80% or less -> CPU speed does not exceed 1.6 Ghz anymore! Maximum...
  6. Is it safe to set Maximum Processor State to lower than 80%?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is it safe to set Maximum Processor State to lower than 80%?: Hello. Due to my need of turning on my desktop with an Intel i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz for 24/7, I have searched the internet and learnt to set my Maximum Processor State to a lower percentage in the Power Plan panel. It actually helped and my CPU temperate is around 36C - 41C...
  7. Windows 10 - Maximum Processor State isn't working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - Maximum Processor State isn't working: It was fine before when I'm still using Windows 7. Now it doesn't matter how much I limit my CPU max state, it always at 100% under load. Funny thing is, when I raise the minimum CPU state to higher than 5%, it works without issue. Perhaps this can help in some way :...
  8. How to change the maximum processor state?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to change the maximum processor state?: Hi all, I need to change the maximum processor state on my laptop Dell Inspiron 15 7559 and I do not have the option to under power settings. I've done everything that the other websites have told me but I still do not have the option to change this. Any help?...
  9. how to enable "maximum processor state"

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to enable "maximum processor state": I was trying to access the "maximum processor state" in the power options to adjust the percentage but found out that it's no longer visible. So I tried to follow guides on youtube and google to find a solution but to no avail. I was told by these guides to mess around with...
  10. Maximum processor state?

in Windows 10 Support
    Maximum processor state?: Hi all, I'm not a techie so please bear with me. I just purchased a new laptop. HP with Windows 10 OS. AMD A6-9220 Dual-Core processor and 4 gig of ram. After it's initial setup and removing all the bloatware/crapware, most of the apps and disabling everything in the...