Windows 10: Windows 10 May 2019 Update announced, and major update changes

Discus and support Windows 10 May 2019 Update announced, and major update changes in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft announced major Windows Update related changes today; the company wants more time to test the next feature update for Windows 10 and has made... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 4, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 May 2019 Update announced, and major update changes

Microsoft announced major Windows Update related changes today; the company wants more time to test the next feature update for Windows 10 and has made the decision to release it at the end of May 2019 instead of March / April 2019. Starting with that release, feature updates won't be downloaded and installed on compatible systems anymore immediately after availability (in other words, they are not forced onto systems immediately after release anymore).

Mike Fortin, Corporate Vice President Windows, explains that Microsoft wants "to be confident in the quality of the May 2019 Update" and that the decision was made to extend the time the update will be tested before release.

The May 2019 Update will be available in the Release Preview Ring starting next week. Microsoft plans to make it available to a broader audience from late May onward (note that this includes admins who use "check for updates" this one last time).

Windows 10 Feature Updates changes

What may be even more interesting from a user's and administrator's point of view is that the company announced a major change in regards to feature updates.

Feature updates were released twice a year previously; when Microsoft deemed that a system was ready for update, it would push out the update to the system automatically. Users could start the update to the new version manually by clicking on the "check for updates" button in the Windows Update interface, or by using other tools to upgrade.

Starting with the May 2019 update, "users will be more in control of initiating the feature OS update" according to Mike Fortin.

Means: Microsoft plans to change how and when feature updates are delivered to (home) customer devices.

The company plans to split feature updates from general update checking on Windows 10 devices that run the May 2019 update or newer versions.

Windows 10 May 2019 Update announced, and major update changes windows-update-feature-updates-changes.jpg

The "check for updates" option won't check for feature updates anymore so that only monthly quality and security updates are downloaded and installed on Windows 10 devices when the button is used by a system administrator.

Windows Update displays when new feature updates are available separately. Administrators may select to download and install these feature updates but they don't have to according to Microsoft so that they may stay on the current version as long as it is supported. Windows 10 version 1803 and 1809 will feature that option "by late May" as well according to Microsoft.

Microsoft says that there won't be any pressure to upgrade until the particular version of Windows 10 reaches end of support. Windows 10 may still notify users when new feature updates are available for the machine.

The May 2019 Update introduces other major update-related changes. Administrators may pause updates for a period of up to 35 days separated into chunks of seven days at a time.

Active Hours, a feature designed to block automatic restarts by Windows Update may adjust the time range based on device usage patterns. The default time period, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. worked well for Office workers but not so well for home use.

New Windows release health dashboard

Windows 10 May 2019 Update announced, and major update changes update-dashboard.jpg

A new Windows release health dasbboard will be released in April 2019 to provide system administrators and users with "near real-time information on the current rollout status and known issues (open and resolved) across both feature and monthly updates".

Details for each Windows 10 version will be represented on one page that can easily be searched by keyword, including important announcements, new blog posts, service and support updates and other news.
    Closing Words

The changes make a lot of sense. Microsoft needs to get the May 2019 Update right the first time it is released to avoid another feature update release disaster. The Windows 10 version 1809 feature release went terribly wrong which delayed the full rollout of the new version of Windows 10.

Delaying the release for some additional testing is the right decision; most users, admins and companies would not mind, probably, if the testing would even take longer than that provided that the final release version is as stable as it can be.

Removing feature updates from the check for updates functionality and no longer enforcing the installation of feature updates when they become available are two important steps as well to improve reliability and quality.

While I would like to have seen a reduction to one feature update per year instead of two, the changes are a step in the right direction.

Now You: What is your take on all of that?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 May 2019 Update announced, and major update changes appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 4, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, Apr 4, 2019
  3. btarunr Win User
    Next Major Windows 10 Update Named "Spring Creators Update"

The next Windows 10 service pack major update has been named "Spring Creators Update." Windows Insider Program users toying with Build 17618 of the operating system spotted a listing of all the major updates of Windows 10 known to the build, when running "Get-VMHostSupportedVersion" in Power Shell. The last entry reads "Microsoft Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803." The version number (1803 in this case), often coincides with the public release date of the update. The Fall Creators Update 1709, released in 2017-09 (September) to Insiders. Going by that convenion, Spring Creators Update could see a "branded" Insider preview build this month, 2018-03 (March), with a public release usually 3-4 weeks after, presumably before Summer kicks in.

Windows 10 May 2019 Update announced, and major update changes pEBOXRTl55rNtJHh_thm.jpg

btarunr, Apr 4, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Two major Windows 10 updates scheduled for 2017

Windows 10 May 2019 Update announced, and major update changes windows-10-hp-stream-100566481-large.jpg

It may come as no surprise, but Microsoft won't release another major update for Windows 10 in 2016. The good news is you can expect two big updates to Microsoft’s latest operating system in 2017.

Microsoft let the information slip in a TechNet blog post published earlier in the week. “Windows 10, version 1607 is our third Windows 10 feature update released,” Microsoft said in the blog post. “Based on feedback from organizations moving to Windows 10, this will be our last feature update for 2016, with two additional feature updates expected in 2017.”

The blog post appears to confirm reports from the Windows rumor mill about the timing of the next two updates for Windows 10. The first update, dubbed Redstone 2, is expected to roll out in early 2017 with the second, Redstone 3, landing in the summer or early fall, similar to the timing of the recently released Anniversary Update (previously known as Redstone 1).

This schedule would put Microsoft back on a two updates per year schedule similar to the initial rollout of Windows 10, as Windows Central first pointed out. In 2015, Microsoft released Windows 10 (also known as Threshold) in July and then the November Update(dubbed Threshold 2) three months later.

This time around, Redstone 2 is expected to roll out in the spring and then Redstone 3 should hit about four to six months later.

The impact on you at home: Of the two updates, Redstone 2 looks to be the most interesting so far. Not necessarily because of the features, which are believed to be largely things that weren’t ready for the Anniversary Update. The big deal is that the early 2017 update is expected to roll out in concert with new hardware from Microsoft, asZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley first reported back in March.

Early builds of Redstone 2 are expected to roll out to Windows Insiders in the coming weeks.

Two major Windows 10 updates scheduled for 2017

P4-630, Apr 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 May 2019 Update announced, and major update changes - Similar Threads - May 2019 Update

2. A major problem with Windows 10 May 2020 update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A major problem with Windows 10 May 2020 update.: Hey, so this is regarding the new May 2020 update not insider program the one that revolves around version 2004. Why are we going back is beyond my understanding. However, One major problem with this update is that some of the very important support applications like bang &...
  3. Is the May 2020 Update a Major or Minor Update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is the May 2020 Update a Major or Minor Update?: Could someone confirm whether the May 2020 update for Windows 10 is a major update that basically installs a new version of Windows which usually results in some settings being lost like the exact layout of the task manager, etc. Or is it a minor update which is just a...
  4. May 2019 Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    May 2019 Windows 10 Update: At start up, Tips for the update were on my screen. Where do I find them again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/may-2019-windows-10-update/0afc9357-6c27-4b57-8f34-ba392a3f47f9
  5. May 2019 update for windows 10

May 2019 update for windows 10: Hoping someone can help with this issue. I use a usb device for wifi. I don't have any other usb devices connected to my pc. I have tried numerous times to upgrade to the May update with no success. Keeps telling me "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using...
  6. Windows update MAY 2019

Windows update MAY 2019: Hello , I want to know that when 1903 update will be released for India and what will the size of the update. Thanks in advance.........
  7. May 2019 update on windows 10

May 2019 update on windows 10: I did the may 2019 update: next day when I tried to sign on, windows does not recognize my password, opens as if I am a new Microsoft/windows account ( home screen with a window) and all folders/photos (and some apps) missing. I'm asked to set up new account because it says...
  8. Windows 10 May 2019 Update

Windows 10 May 2019 Update: [ATTACH]Hello, I am using Windows 10 and currently on version 1809 May 2019 update. While everyone else is on Version 1903 May 2019 update. Why am i still stuck on Windows 10 Version 1809 while other people are on Windows 10 Version 1903?...
  9. May 2019 update

May 2019 update: Hello. I was wondering when the 1903 of windows will be released? How many weeks? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/may-2019-update/e1ff5233-7c1c-4c7f-8fe3-cd9d0089c39c
  10. Microsoft announces Windows 10 May 2019 Update for late May release

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft announces Windows 10 May 2019 Update for late May release: Microsoft today announced Windows 10 May 2019 Update, along with a new strategy for Windows Update release schedule and more transparency in this regards. Microsoft also officially announced the release date of the next feature update for Windows 10 and it won’t arrive this...