Windows 10: Windows 10 May 2021 Update new features: What you need to know

Discus and support Windows 10 May 2021 Update new features: What you need to know in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 May 2021 Update was announced earlier this year and released to consumers on May 18, but it takes time to roll out to all eligible PCs.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, May 18, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 May 2021 Update new features: What you need to know

Windows 10 May 2021 Update was announced earlier this year and released to consumers on May 18, but it takes time to roll out to all eligible PCs. Later this year, new Windows 10 devices will start shipping with the new operating system pre-installed too.

As you may be aware, Microsoft has already confirmed that this year’s first “feature upgrade” for Windows 10 is virtually identical to the already available “October 2020 Update”.

Windows 10 version 21H1 and version 20H2/2004 share the same servicing content. Users can install the same monthly cumulative update package and you won’t notice any difference. In short, it is a barely modified, fixed or improved version of the last feature update.

Windows 10 May 2021 Update new features are aimed at businesses and enterprise customers, and there’s nothing really changed for consumers. However, if you use Windows Hello on your personal computer with an external camera, Microsoft says it has enabled support for multi-camera setup.

List of new features in Windows 10 May 2021 Update (version 21H1)

1. Ships with Chromium-powered default browser: Microsoft Edge legacy is no longer available.
    2. Ships without Adobe Flash Player.
    3. Windows Hello gets multi-camera support.
    4. Windows Defender Application Guard is now faster.
    5. To support remote work, Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Group Policy Service (GPSVC) has also received performance enhancements.
    Chromium Edge in, legacy out

Windows 10’s default browser was originally based on EdgeHTML (Microsoft’s own rendering engine). In January of last year, Chromium-based Edge was officially released for Windows and other platforms.

Microsoft said that it is designed to replace Edge Legacy which was released way back in 2015.

Windows 10 May 2021 Update new features: What you need to know Microsoft-Edge-migration.jpg

While Microsoft began shipping Windows 10 October 2020 Update with Chromium Edge, the legacy browser was still accessible like Internet Explorer. Enterprise customers were allowed to run the two Edge browsers side-by-side and some even uninstalled the Chromium version.

Now when users install the Windows 10 May 2021 Update (version 21H1), Edge Legacy based on EdgeHTML will be removed entirely from the systems. If you don’t have Chromium Edge already, it will be installed automatically.

The good news is that Microsoft won’t change your default browser settings and your browsing data from old Edge will be migrated automatically.

Adobe Flash Player is no longer pre-installed

Microsoft is slowly killing off Adobe Flash Player in all older versions of the operating system. On older versions, we’re seeing a phased approach where optional and monthly updates arrive for users at intervals and Flash Player is removed. Once the player has been uninstalled, users will not be able to restore it.

Windows 10 May 2021 Update new features: What you need to know Windows-10-May-2021-Update-Flash-Player.jpg

In Windows 10 May 2021 Update, otherwise known as version 21H1, Adobe Flash Player is not pre-installed and users cannot play flash content.

If you want to enable support for Flash Player again, you’ll need to roll back the May 2021 Update and click on the pause updates button to prevent its installation.

However, if you installed Flash Player manually, it won’t be removed when you apply the May Update. You will have to remove it manually.

Windows Hello gets multi-camera support

Windows 10 version 21H1 enables support for external Windows Hello cameras when built-in camera support is already included. This is particularly useful when you’ve large monitors or multiple monitors with a built-in camera, but the quality is not good enough for Windows Hello.

In Windows 10 version 21H1, users can connect their external IR-equipped webcam and use it for Windows Hello authentication while still using the built-in webcam for other work, such as video conferencing.

In theory, any Windows Hello compatible camera is automatically used for Windows Hello and it will be available for log-in even after you reboot.

Windows Defender Application Guard is now faster

In the enterprise environment, Windows Defender Application Guard advanced features are used to protect computers when web content and documents are launched. This feature ensures that the contents are in a secure hypervisor-backed environment and it also acts as a thin virtual machine.

The problem with the security feature is that it is slower than running apps normally. In isolation, performance issues with apps are observed.

In version 21H1 of Windows 10, Microsoft is speeding things up significantly and the company claims that users will notice performance increment when they open documents and navigate between pages in isolation.

Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)

Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), which happens to be another enterprise feature, is getting faster in the latest update too.

What happened to the redesign and other features?

Windows 10 May 2021 Update is not the flagship feature update of the year and it’s completely aimed at enterprise customers.

Bigger changes including the new Action Center, floating menu and brand new optional Start Menu are expected to arrive with Windows 10 version 21H2 “Sun Valley Update” in the fall.

The post Windows 10 May 2021 Update new features: What you need to know appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, May 18, 2021
  2. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, May 18, 2021
  3. MrGenius Win User
    Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

Defer feature updates in Windows 10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, May 18, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 18, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 May 2021 Update new features: What you need to know - Similar Threads - May 2021 Update

2. Window 10 update May 2021

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 10 update May 2021: I have a problem with my window 10 update. I doing update with window 10 update assistant. While doing update, in first restart my laptop screen stucked at loader page without preloader....
  3. Window 10 update May 2021

in Windows 10 Customization
    Window 10 update May 2021: I have a problem with my window 10 update. I doing update with window 10 update assistant. While doing update, in first restart my laptop screen stucked at loader page without preloader....
  4. Windows 10 May 2021 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 May 2021 Update: Another update, and since this is a personal PC, i won't use whatever they're yapping about. If i ever do have a business PC it never have any games or social media programs on it. And it be set on it own dedicated internet and not a shared one.Windows Hello multicamera...
  5. Problem in new Windows 10 update May 2021

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem in new Windows 10 update May 2021: After installing the May 2021 update, I am facing the following problems:1. Unable to switch between applications using Alt+Tab.2. Unable to do multi-tasking by simply dragging an application to one side and open another on the other side....
  6. Problem with the new May 2021 Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with the new May 2021 Windows 10 update: After updating to the latest version of Windows as of today 13th May 2021, my second monitor keeps on flashing when I connect it via HDMI to my laptop, making it unusable. The laptop works fine without a second monitor hooked up, however. I tried installing new graphics...
  7. Windows 10 May 2021 updates: What’s new and fixed

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 May 2021 updates: What’s new and fixed: Windows 10 May 2021 update “Patch Tuesday” (not to be confused with version 21H1) is now rolling out for those using supported versions, such as version 20H2 and version 2004. This month’s Patch Tuesday release comes with quality improvements and it also fixes an issue that...
  8. Windows 10 May 2020 Update: Everything you need to know

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 May 2020 Update: Everything you need to know: Windows 10 May 2020 Update will start hitting computers later this month. If you join the Insider beta program today, you can get the new build right this minute. In 2019, Windows 10 version 1903 was released with major changes and new features, but another feature update...
  9. Windows 10 May 2019 Update: Everything you need to know

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 May 2019 Update: Everything you need to know: Microsoft has officially kicked off the rollout of Windows 10 May 2019 Update and many users have already upgraded to the new OS. Windows 10 May 2019 Update was actually finalized last month and Microsoft tested the update for another month to address all big issues. It’s...
  10. Windows 10 May 2019 Update: Everything you need to know

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 May 2019 Update: Everything you need to know: Microsoft has announced that the next big release to its desktop operating system is called Windows 10 May 2019 Update. Microsoft doesn’t want a repeat of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update debacle and as a result, the next big update will begin rolling out to advanced users...