Windows 10: windows 10 may upgrade kills image on monitors

Discus and support windows 10 may upgrade kills image on monitors in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Upgraded to May 2020 refresh of Windows 10 after second announcement of its availability became solid on Windows upgrade. The first upgrade did not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rboris, Jul 23, 2020.

1. rboris Win User

windows 10 may upgrade kills image on monitors

Upgraded to May 2020 refresh of Windows 10 after second announcement of its availability became solid on Windows upgrade.

The first upgrade did not work at all and I thought that this new one would.

Compared to the first upgrade it did in that it completed perfectly.

BUT

Then my problems started and to deal with these I have to back up a bit and tell you about my video connections because that is where the problems lie, I believe.

I have two NEC P242W-BK monitors.

And I have two identical computers: ASRock X79; 16 GB; Samsung SSD; Several hard drives. Only one computer is attached at a time.

Each has a display port and an HDMI port along with a DVI port.

My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680. That card has three ports corresponding to the display’s: display port; HDMI; DVI.

There is also a MacBook PRO, about 5 years old.

The ASRock computers are attached to the display port and to the HDMI port. And Windows has always found these ports.

The MacBook PRO is attached to the spare port on each monitor again, display port and HDMI to the Mini Port on the MacBook.

SO, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

Windows starts very, very slowly from a cold start with the dotted circle taking five minutes before booting into Windows, which eventually happens. N.B.: I shutdown normally but ever since I've installed Windows 10, I can restart the computer by taping the keyboard. I think the computer is in some halfway space between real hard shutdown and hibernation.

After shutdown I have no images at all on my screens although it is clear that Windows is “there” has booted.

If I hold the left shift key when I shutdown the computer really shuts BUT then I get acold start with all of its problems.

I think the computer can’t find the video ports.

Any help would be more than welcome.

Thank you.

:)

rboris, Jul 23, 2020
  2. rboris Win User

Upgraded to May 2020 refresh of Windows 10 after second announcement of its availability became solid on Windows upgrade.

The first upgrade did not work at all and I thought that this new one would.

Compared to the first upgrade it did in that it completed perfectly.

BUT

Then my problems started and to deal with these I have to back up a bit and tell you about my video connections (because that is where the problems lie, I believe).

I have two NEC P242W-BK monitors.

And I have two identical computers: ASRock X79; 16 GB; Samsung SSD; Several hard drives. Only one computer is attached at a time.

Each has a display port and an HDMI port (along with a DVI port).

My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680. That card has three ports corresponding to the display’s: display port; HDMI; DVI.

There is also a MacBook PRO, about 5 years old.

The ASRock computers are attached to the display port and to the HDMI port.
    And Windows has always found these ports.

The MacBook PRO is attached to the spare port on each monitor (again, display port and HDMI) to the Mini Port on the MacBook.

SO, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

Windows starts very, very slowly from a cold start with the dotted circle taking five minutes before booting into Windows, which eventually happens.
    N.B.: I shutdown normally but ever since I've installed Windows 10, I can restart the computer by taping the keyboard.
    I think the computer is in some halfway space between real hard shutdown and hibernation.

After shutdown I have no images at all on my screens although it is clear that Windows is “there” has booted.

If I hold the left shift key when I shutdown the computer really shuts BUT then I get a
    cold start with all of its problems.

I think the computer can’t find the video ports.

Any help would be more than welcome.

Thank you.

rboris, Jul 30, 2020
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jul 30, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

windows 10 may upgrade kills image on monitors [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

1. windows 10 may upgrade kills image on monitors - Similar Threads - may upgrade kills

2. trying again: no image after may upgrade

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    trying again: no image after may upgrade: Upgraded to May 2020 refresh of Windows 10 after second announcement of its availability became solid on Windows upgrade. The first upgrade did not work at all and I thought that this new one would. Compared to the first upgrade it did in that it completed perfectly. BUT...
  3. Image on the Monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Image on the Monitor: The image on the monitor is "pinched" on the left & right by 1.5-2.0 inches. I need to fix this. How ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/image-on-the-monitor/e977edb7-0f35-48f3-8168-55ceceef33c0
  4. windows 10 monitor image fractured

in Cortana
    windows 10 monitor image fractured: Just installed windows 10 pro 64bit, everything looked good until I attached an external Toshiba hard drive. On reboot the monitor image was fractured and unreadable. Any ideas on a fix...
  5. Download Windows 10 May 2019 Update ISO images

in Windows 10 News
    Download Windows 10 May 2019 Update ISO images: Microsoft is finally rolling out Windows 10 version 1903 to millions of compatible PCs. The company has also published Windows 10 May 2019 Update ISO files and you can use the package to upgrade your PC. You can also download ISOs of Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903)...
  6. Forced windows 10 upgrade has killed two HDD's

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Forced windows 10 upgrade has killed two HDD's: Hi, I was using Macrium Reflect to clone a HDD when windows update shut down and updated the computer half was through the disk clone. I now cannot read the mechanical drive nor the brand new SSD that I was cloning to. Do you have a compensation program for people who...
  7. Win 10 upgrade killed my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 upgrade killed my PC: Two days ago, a Win 10 upgrade occurred and my Dell Studio will not boot. Macrium Reflect got me to the DOS prompts and most files seem to be there. I backed them up to a 4TB Seagate external drive. Microsoft acknowledges that they shot my PC with a mandatory Win 10...
  8. Upgrade Killed My Sound !

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade Killed My Sound !: I just ran that Windows Upgrade thing on my system disk to see if it would fix a problem I've got. It didn't. And now there's no sound at all. It's win10, of course and the mobo is an Asus H170 pro using the onboard sound. What do you think? Ive got to go back to...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade killed wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 upgrade killed wifi: I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 last night on my laptop. The laptop is a Lenovo Z570 with an i7 processor. My basic problem is that I do not have the capability to turn on my wifi and search for networks now. The hardware switch does nothing. I went into device...
  10. Use image to upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use image to upgrade to Windows 10: I have several machine running Windows 7 Professional that I want to upgrade to Windows 10. Question is can I upgrade 1 machine add my other programs Office etc , take an image and then use that image to upgrade the other machines. Adding a new machine using Win7 image was...