Windows 10: Windows 10 Measures Drop in Bandwidth that Windows 7 Does not

Discus and support Windows 10 Measures Drop in Bandwidth that Windows 7 Does not in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I recently upgrade some of my managed sites to Windows 10 PC's. I monitor their bandwidth to my management Server. The new Windows 10 PC's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dr.Bio, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Dr.Bio Win User

Windows 10 Measures Drop in Bandwidth that Windows 7 Does not

Hello,

I recently upgrade some of my managed sites to Windows 10 PC's.

I monitor their bandwidth to my management Server.

The new Windows 10 PC's are measuring a 2/3's drop in Bandwidth as compared to a Windows 7 PC at the same location.

For example, two PC's running the same Hardware but one is Windows 7, and one is Windows 10.

I have a 25 Mbps connection from this site to my management server.

The windows 7 PC measures consistently between 20 and 25Mbps, depending on time.

The windows 10 PC consistently measures ~5 Mbps.
    I tested this using Windows Net Bios transfer (copy/paste), manual FTP, on-going iPERF measurement tool, and a few other freeware monitoring tools.
    I see the same drop, no matter the tool, and all these tools measure 20-25 Mbps on Windows 7.

Things I tried:

• All drivers are up to date. Tried the Windows Update drivers, as well as the Dell specific ones
    • Installed a USB NIC - Same results
    • Replace the whole PC - Same results
    • Turned off/on too many settings to list on the NIC - Same results

Relevant Info:

• All these PC's (Win 7/10) plug into a Cisco 5505 Firewall which establishes a VPN, and terminates on a Cisco 5516. I know this is a bit non-standard, but again, the Windows 7 PC doesn't have any issues.
    • Escalated to Dell, reached the top tier of their Support, and they couldn't solve it.
    • The network these PC's are on is a dedicated WAN, there is no Internet on them.

Why does Windows 10 measure less bandwidth, or utilize less bandwidth than Windows 7?

:)

Dr.Bio, Dec 2, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 2, 2019
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Measures Drop in Bandwidth that Windows 7 Does not

Windows 10 Snipping Tool on Windows 7

All it is is one extra step beyond what is native to windows 10. Yes, technically it would be easier to have the functionality of print built in to the Windows 7 version, but you just have to save it ,and right click on it ,and print.

As far as getting the windows 10 version into windows7. I know there was a way to get the old winpaint, so maybe there's a way to get the snipping tool into 10, I don't know.

im curious if i could compress, and upload the application to this post? 7zip doesnt seem to be allowed

jboydgolfer, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Measures Drop in Bandwidth that Windows 7 Does not

1. Windows 10 Measures Drop in Bandwidth that Windows 7 Does not - Similar Threads - Measures Drop Bandwidth

2. Startup impact "Not measured" in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Startup impact "Not measured" in Windows 10.: Task manager showing startup impact not measured in every enabled entries. I am running Windows 10 20H2 v19042.1110. The problem appeared after I clean installed Windows 10 today. I have tried the clean boot method, sfc command, dism command but no luck. I checked in the...
  3. Windows 10 20H2 Start impact not measured

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 20H2 Start impact not measured: Hallo, after CleanInstall Windows 10 20H2 19042.450 it was working, now i have the 19042.571. The Problem began with Update on 19042.508, all Autostarts Programs not measured. I think, it is a Bug on 20H2, because all other Win10 Versions create new ....xml Files in the...
  4. Windows 10 upgrades dropped Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 upgrades dropped Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home: Previously I had windows 7 Pro, when the upgrade to Windows 10 occurred the installation is for Windows 10 Home, how do I recover the key or features for Windows 10 Pro? RDP. In at least one case I upgrded from Windows 7 to Pro. The others were Windows 7 Pro. Thank you...
  5. Where/How does Windows Task Manager measure the network data rate? On Windows 10/ Windows...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Where/How does Windows Task Manager measure the network data rate? On Windows 10/ Windows...: Where does Windows 10/ Windows Server 2016 measure the network data rate for a Network Interface Card? How close to the hardware is it? Does it use the vendor driver for the NIC, or gets some information for the hardware directly using some common method supported by all...
  6. Low upload bandwidth in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Low upload bandwidth in Windows 10: The connection is a 40/10 mbps ADSL, connected to the PC using a DLink Modem + Router. The status page of the router displays [ATTACH] I get 4 times lower upload bandwidth under Windows 10 as compared to Ubuntu 18.04 (dual boot). Speedtest.net upload speed is limited to...
  7. Windows 10 market share increases as Windows 7 drops

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 market share increases as Windows 7 drops: StatCounter report claims that the market share of Windows 10 has increased to 50.07 percent from 48.19. Windows 7 dropped to 37.2 from 38.65 percent in the month of September. [ATTACH] On the other hand, the latest report from NetMarketShare reveals that the market share...
  8. Measuring Performance Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Measuring Performance Windows 10: How do i know if the changes im making to my Laptop are actually increasing or decreasing the amount of time it takes for windows to finish starting up. By windows starting up i mean when its finished loading the apps in startup apps as well. 114155
  9. Does Windows 10 reserve 80% of internet bandwidth for the system?

Does Windows 10 reserve 80% of internet bandwidth for the system?: I am currently struggling with an appallingly slow internet speed. In trying to resolve this I came across a Youtube video that claims that Windows 10 reserves 80% of internet bandwidth for the system, and shows you how to change this. The video quality is worse than...
  10. Anyone notice a network bandwidth/performance drop with 1803?

Anyone notice a network bandwidth/performance drop with 1803?: just tried in a linux and mac vm and got good speeds. Hrm. leading me back to it being a browser issue or windows issue. how could a specific browser impact download speeds relative to any other? Or is it more likely its something to do w/ windows itself? QoS? Even though i...