Windows 10: Windows 10 media creation - filesystem issue

Discus and support Windows 10 media creation - filesystem issue in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all, My hard drive with Windows 10 has failed. I am trying to create a bootable USB drive so I can reinstall to a new SSD, but on startup the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Qodus, May 15, 2020.

1. Qodus Win User

Windows 10 media creation - filesystem issue

Hello all,

My hard drive with Windows 10 has failed.

I am trying to create a bootable USB drive so I can reinstall to a new SSD, but on startup the computer displays a black screen with a blinking cursor, it will not start Windows. I think this may be because the USB was formatted with NTFS. The only OS I have to work with is a live Linux, I was able to format a drive as exFAT, but it seems flaky and I cannot mount it to move the files from the Windows 10 ISO.

My question - am I right in thinking the bootable Windows USB needs to be exFAT and if so, how can I create it without a working Windows system?

I hope there is someone who can help, I have a client waiting and need to get my software back up and running

If I don't respond it is 2:15am here, not sure how much longer I will be up, but i will check if anyone replied in the morning

Thank you and regards,

Daniel

:)

Qodus, May 15, 2020

2. creation of windows 10 media

Hi Jithesh,

You might face this issue if the downloaded setup file is corrupted.

• Did you try to download the setup again?
    • Did you try to upgrade through Windows Update?

First, I would suggest you to try updating through Windows Update and check if you are able to upgrade to Windows 10. If you are unable to upgrade through Windows Update, then I would suggest you to download the Windows 10 ISO again and save it locally
    on the desktop and then try to run the upgrade.

Media creation tool

Windows 10 herunterladen

Let us know the results.

Rohit Siddegowda, May 15, 2020
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, May 15, 2020
  4. Windows 10 media creation - filesystem issue

Problems upgrading to Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool.

Hi Abel,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

To guide you in the right direction, I need more information from the computer by answering the following questions:

• What is the make and model of your computer?

• Which operating system are you currently running on your computer?

• Is you’re your anti-virus utility software disabled?

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

Meanwhile I suggest you to try the steps provided below and
    check if it helps.

Method 1

Perform a clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows
    10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Clean Boot:

Notes

• You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot.

• Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or
      experience the original behavior if the problem still exists.

• If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to change the advanced
      boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.
    I suggest you to try the steps provided in the link below, in order to perform a clean boot on your computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

I also suggest you to refer to the link below for more information about downloading Media Creation Tool.

Windows 10 herunterladen

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 media creation - filesystem issue

1. Windows 10 media creation - filesystem issue - Similar Threads - media creation filesystem

2. Windows 11 Media Creation issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Media Creation issue: Good afternoon. I am having an issue using the media creation tool for Windows 11.The tool stalls 71 percent progress.I have tried 3 different computers, 2 USB drives and no luck.I have tried running the tool as an admin with the same result.Also, I have formatted the USB's...
  3. Windows 11 Media Creation issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Media Creation issue: Good afternoon. I am having an issue using the media creation tool for Windows 11.The tool stalls 71 percent progress.I have tried 3 different computers, 2 USB drives and no luck.I have tried running the tool as an admin with the same result.Also, I have formatted the USB's...
  4. Media Creation for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation for Windows 10: How du I install from USB? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-for-windows-10/7156bd3d-1c34-46d6-ae9b-e1375070aa49
  5. Windows 10 media creation tool issues

Windows 10 media creation tool issues: I have a laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 1 terabyte standard hard drive. I'm trying to install Windows 10 home 64-bit using the Windows 10 media creation tool. I formatted my system Drive SSD and have made it active and selected it as the install location. Once I begin the...
  6. Issues with windows 10 update & media creation tool

Issues with windows 10 update & media creation tool: I'm trying to update my windows 10 for a game, When I get into the windows update folder and click search for updates it shows me I need to update but not a button to click for an update. I tried using media creation tool but it crashed my pc every time I opened the folder....
  7. Media Creation Tool Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Media Creation Tool Issues: I've been trying to use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to download an os for my new PC but it seems to force close after I answer the question about language and version. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to fix it?...
  8. Issue with downloading Windows 10 media creation tool

Issue with downloading Windows 10 media creation tool: I have tried to download it and redownload it and there is an error. There is a problem running this tool. Error code: 0x80042405 - 0xA001B....
  9. Windows 10 Media Creation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Media Creation: Hello, I was wondering how to get my external HDD back to normal. I installed the media creation tool to my external HDD, and now it is showing 31.9GB free of 31.9B free, but the original size of it is 1TB. How would I go about fixing this? Cheers, Tyler T....
  10. Issue with Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media

Issue with Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media: I need to recover my Desktop and downloaded the MediaCreationTool1809,exe from the MS Support pages. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 I run the tool with a freshly formatted 16GB USB drive and receive the following error: "There was a problem...