Windows 10: Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) on a USB Flash stick?

Discus and support Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) on a USB Flash stick? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Currently I installed Windows 10 Pro build 10586.0 from my USB flash drive created from the Media Creation Tool (MCT). My question is, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by win10freak, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) on a USB Flash stick?

Hello

Currently I installed Windows 10 Pro build 10586.0 from my USB flash drive created from the Media Creation Tool (MCT).
    My question is, I noticed that Microsoft has recently updated the MCT to the latest build.

Before I decide to put this latest build onto my USB flash drive using the MCT, do I need to reformat my USB or will the MCT do the whole process for me by overwriting all the current Win 10 boot and setup files that were on my USB?

So right now, I have all the Windows 10 bootable files created from the MCT, but the build that I have on there now is 10586.0.

So if I decide to create another Win 10 bootable USB using the MCT (Build 10586.36 or higher), will the MCT do all the reformatting automatically or do I need to manually reformat my USB myself before running the MCT?

:)

win10freak, Jan 15, 2016

2. Repair and Recovery

Many thanks for your response. I've installed Windows 10 so Setup has not failed nor have I had any setup or stop errors during installation.

The issue is that having installed, I cannot create a USB recovery drive via Control Panel\Security and Maintenance\Recovery. I've already posted on this issue. This current post, in trying to resolve myself, has identified that the installed O/S (windows
    10 Home) is (stated as being) incompatible with Start-up repair.

Edit :............

On desktop PC I ran the "Media Creation Tool" and choose to "create installation media for another PC".

Having selected language, architecture and edition, choose to create a "USB flash drive" as opposed to "ISO file" (previously created OK). This method requires a minimum 3Gb USB flash drive. I installed an 8Gb device. This device was auto detected on
    clicking "next" as "H: (no label)"

Process started..........Pleased to say I got the message "Your USB flash drive is ready".

Question now becomes...........Why does creation of USB Recovery drive work via the Media Creation Tool (MCT) and not within Windows 10 itself via Control Panel\Security and Maintenance\recovery\create a recovery drive ??. Looks like code of MCT needs
    integrating into Windows 10 core.

majestic100, Jan 15, 2016
  3. Windows 10 update is stuck

Hi Alecia,

This may be a silly question but here goes. Did you download the Media creation tool onto the USB drive or did you download the Media Creation Tool onto the device HDD and then use the tool to create the installation media to be placed onto the USB stick
    as to make it a bootable USB installation media drive?

When using the Media Creation Tool for this purpose you would follow the instructions for "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC" found on the

MCT download page

More detailed information and tutorials can be found at the links below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

Overcoming Windows 10 Upgrade and Version Update Failures

How to Download Official Windows 10 ISO files Using Media Creation Tool or Directly Using your Web Browser

Hope this can help,

-Richard

RichardEiler, Jan 15, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) on a USB Flash stick?

davidhk, Jan 15, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    MCT will reformat the USB for you.

NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2016
  6. I know its extra work *Smile
    But I was just curious, that's all.

Thanks!

win10freak, Jan 15, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    To : win10freak,
    By all means download the MCT to a bootable media for future reinstallation if needed.
    But if 10586.63 is what you want, let Windows Update do the work.

davidhk, Jan 15, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I just downloaded the ISOs from Tech Bench. Those ISOs are still 10586.0. Can anyone confirm that MCT downloads something else? This is the version for the MCT exe file:

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) on a USB Flash stick? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2016
  9. Thanks for the quick responses.

But all I need to know is the following >>

So, if I do decide to download the latest MCT build onto my USB flash stick, the MCT will reformat and overwrite the current Windows boot and setup files in which I currently have on my USB now?

win10freak, Jan 15, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes. I'm downloading the ISO file now with MCT to see what version it gets.

NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2016
  11. Just would like to know if the MCT will reformat the USB stick automatically and overwrite the current Win 10 files that I have on that stick now?

win10freak, Jan 15, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    I am not sure you can reupgrade same version eg 10586.0 to 10586.63 (keeping all files etc).

You can clean install 10586.35 of course (reinstalling all programs), but even then windows will still need to update to 10586.63.

Really a waste of time doing this, as the auto update does not take that long (far less than a reinstall cycle). The uodates are clever enough to install latest cumulative updates, who contains all previous updates.

Definite case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

cereberus, Jan 15, 2016
  13. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) on a USB Flash stick?

Yes, I know that the updates will do this.
    But this is just an overall general question for curiosity purposes.

For example, my USB bootable stick contains the Win 10 Build 10586.0 created from the MCT last month or so.
    So If I decide to clean install to the next build (10586.35) or whatever the next build version would be by creating another bootable USB stick, will the MCT do all the reformatting automatically by overwriting the current Win 10 Build which is on my USB stick now?

So basically my question would be do I need to have to reformat my USB stick manually myself or will the MCT do the formatting process automatically when creating those Win 10 setup files onto the USB stick?

I never do upgrades, only a clean install.

win10freak, Jan 15, 2016
  14. davidhk Win User
    2 of us are presently downloading MCT iso file.
    Once downloaded, we will know which version the current MCT iso contains.

Adding : why mark this thread as Solved while your main question has yet to be answered or confirmed ?

davidhk, Jan 15, 2016
  15. At this point, I don't really care what version it is.

My question being, will the MCT do all the reformatting process automatically during the creation of the bootable USB stick or will I need to do the reformatting myself?

Don't waste your times downloading the ISO just because of me. I really don't care what version is downloaded.
    All I am really asking is whenever I create a Win 10 bootable USB stick using the MCT, will the MCT reformat the USB automatically or will I need to reformat it again manually before running the MCT.

That's all.

Please don't waste time downloading this all because of me.

win10freak, Jan 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) on a USB Flash stick? - Similar Threads - Media Creation Tool

2. Can't download media creation tool on USB stick.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't download media creation tool on USB stick.: I am trying to download the Windows 11 media creation tool for when i get my new PC on a USB stick with a size of 16GB. Whenever I open the wizard it says that there is not enough storage on Local Disk C:, even though I am trying o download it on the Kingston USB which is...
  3. Can't download media creation tool on USB stick.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't download media creation tool on USB stick.: I am trying to download the Windows 11 media creation tool for when i get my new PC on a USB stick with a size of 16GB. Whenever I open the wizard it says that there is not enough storage on Local Disk C:, even though I am trying o download it on the Kingston USB which is...
  4. Can't download media creation tool on USB stick.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. USB-Stick nach Windows Media Creation Tool nicht nutzbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB-Stick nach Windows Media Creation Tool nicht nutzbar: Guten Tag allerseits,wollte Windows 11 neuinstallieren, also Windows Media Creation Tool ordnungsgemäß genutzt: Beschreiben des Sticks nicht erfolgreich. Stick wird vom PC nicht mehr erkannt. Also neuer Versuch auf dem Laptop: Dort wird er erkannt. Versuch zu formatieren...
  6. USB-Stick nach Windows Media Creation Tool nicht nutzbar

USB-Stick nach Windows Media Creation Tool nicht nutzbar: Guten Tag allerseits,wollte Windows 11 neuinstallieren, also Windows Media Creation Tool ordnungsgemäß genutzt: Beschreiben des Sticks nicht erfolgreich. Stick wird vom PC nicht mehr erkannt. Also neuer Versuch auf dem Laptop: Dort wird er erkannt. Versuch zu formatieren...
  7. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  8. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  9. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT)?

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT)?: Hi guys, A while back ago, I had downloaded and performed a clean install of Win10 using the MCT. I performed the following command to check which version of Win10 is being installed and it only says the build number and not the version number which should be 1511. Thats...
  10. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT: Several months ago, I downloaded the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT). I created a bootable USB flash drive from this tool back around end of December or January. Then I ran the following command as shown in the output of my print images here that the description is...