Windows 10: windows 10 media installer to upgrade from 7, computer shuts down

Discus and support windows 10 media installer to upgrade from 7, computer shuts down in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i downloaded windows 10 media installer to upgrade , frm 7 to 10 , problem is my computer keeps shutting down at various stages and keeps on so i have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jmenjhah, May 28, 2019.

1. Jmenjhah Win User

windows 10 media installer to upgrade from 7, computer shuts down

i downloaded windows 10 media installer to upgrade , frm 7 to 10 , problem is my computer keeps shutting down at various stages and keeps on so i have to restart frm scratch. any ideas?

:)

Jmenjhah, May 28, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, May 28, 2019
  3. windows 7 8 or 10

We can kick Windows 8.1 to the curb right away. Windows 10, in tablet mode, is effectively identical...not that I would recommend using tablet mode.

The only advantage Windows 8.1 has over Windows 10 is Windows Media Center. Windows 10 doesn't have it and likely will never support it. Microsoft wants you to buy an Xbox One and use that, instead of your computer, for media, and then stream it to your Windows 10 machine from the Xbox One. Windows Media Center on 7 seems to not be getting updates anymore (worked off of Vista guide info which shut down). Windows Media Center on 8.1 costs $10 to upgrade on Pro or $100 to upgrade on Home.

The Windows 7 upgrade (should still work for about 10 months yet) requires:
    1) Install Windows 7.
    2) Activate Windows 7.
    3) Upgrade to Windows 10.
    4) Activate Windows 10.
    At this point, you could either stay with Windows 10 or downgrade to Windows 7 by doing a clean install.

Personally, I would go with Windows 10. It has some bugs but it is pretty good overall.

FordGT90Concept, May 28, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, May 28, 2019
Thema:

1. windows 10 media installer to upgrade from 7, computer shuts down - Similar Threads - media installer upgrade

2. Installing Windows 10 from upgraded Win 7 on new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows 10 from upgraded Win 7 on new computer: Hello.My computer is something like 12 years old, and I am using an upgraded windows 7 to windows 10. I am planning to buy new parts to build a new computer I'll keep only the same case, DVD player and 2 mechanical data drives.My question is simple, Could I install Windows 10...
  3. Installing Windows 10 from upgraded Win 7 on new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 from upgraded Win 7 on new computer: Hello.My computer is something like 12 years old, and I am using an upgraded windows 7 to windows 10. I am planning to buy new parts to build a new computer I'll keep only the same case, DVD player and 2 mechanical data drives.My question is simple, Could I install Windows 10...
  4. Unknown program preventing my computer from shutting down Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown program preventing my computer from shutting down Windows 7: Hello,Description: Every night when I turn off my computer, an unnamed file prevents my computer from shutting down. I have tried everything I could to find the file. But since it is unnamed, the computer has no idea how to identify it. Note: In case you are wondering, I am...
  5. Unknown program preventing my computer from shutting down Windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown program preventing my computer from shutting down Windows 7: Hello,Description: Every night when I turn off my computer, an unnamed file prevents my computer from shutting down. I have tried everything I could to find the file. But since it is unnamed, the computer has no idea how to identify it. Note: In case you are wondering, I am...
  6. Computer shuts down during Windows 10 Installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer shuts down during Windows 10 Installation: I am building a Small Form Factor SFF computer. Every time Windows starts to install, it gets to 9-26% and the computer shuts down. I finally restored a Windows 10 prebuild 21322 image from my main desktop to the new SFF. It took over an hour to restore, so I don't think temp...
  7. Windows 10 upgraded and now the computer keeps shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 upgraded and now the computer keeps shutting down: Windows 10 went through an upgrade, but now the computer keeps shutting down with error messages such as Memory Management. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-upgraded-and-now-the-computer-keeps/f408d1e5-7332-4df4-b159-03def5e329a4
  8. Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 causing continued shut downs

Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 causing continued shut downs: I upgraded mu HP laptop, bought in 2016, from Windows 7 to Windows 10 after being informed by Microsoft that W 7 was no longer being supported. Since that time, and despite an expert from Microsoft helping me, my computer keeps shutting down over and over again. When this...
  9. PC upgraded from Win 7 to WIn 10, and shuts downs

PC upgraded from Win 7 to WIn 10, and shuts downs: I volunteer at a retirement community and help the residents with their computers. One lady has a Toshiba Satellite L675-S7018 laptop which came with Windows 7 several years ago. SHe was having several problems (including two viruses) so I did a clean install of Windows 10...
  10. Shut Down Computer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Shut Down Computer in Windows 10: How to: Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 How to Shut Down the Computer in Windows 10 If you don't plan to use your PC for a while, then you could shut down (turn off) the PC. A shutdown will close all apps, sign out all users, and completely turn off the PC. Hybrid...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 7 upgrade to windows 10 media