Windows 10: Windows 10 Media USB Install option wiped all existing usb files

Discus and support Windows 10 Media USB Install option wiped all existing usb files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i downloaded the "Windows 10 Media Installation" https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10files onto a USB option and when I open the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nora_09, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Nora_09 Win User

Windows 10 Media USB Install option wiped all existing usb files

i downloaded the "Windows 10 Media Installation" https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10files onto a USB option and when I open the USB file folder it appears to have wiped out all my previously stored files as well as changed the capacity of the drive from 128GB to 31.9GB. I've never seen this occur before, I've tried restoring via the CMD function, Viewing All Hidden files option...nothing seems to bring them back.

:)

Nora_09, Aug 16, 2019

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Aug 16, 2019
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Aug 16, 2019
  4. HiTrends Win User

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool wipe my USB driver -look for a solution of data recovery on the USB

I lost my data after launching Media Creation Tool for windows 10 installation from a USB drive. However, this application didn't give me any warning and directly wiped out all data saved in the USB. I have tried to use some applications to scan which
    files still exist, and many have missed file names, which are also important information to me. I have not perform any recovery for the USB because I am afraid it will ruin the opportunity to get the full recovery. Is there any way to get the data/file names
    back? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

HiTrends, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Media USB Install option wiped all existing usb files - Similar Threads - Media USB Install

2. usb instalation media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb instalation media: need to know proper settings in bios to make usb installation media to work right https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-instalation-media/93ff205c-55ce-47af-9b16-f12dd5eb03dc
  3. usb instalation media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb instalation media: need to know proper settings in bios to make usb installation media to work right https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-instalation-media/93ff205c-55ce-47af-9b16-f12dd5eb03dc
  4. usb instalation media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows installation wiped my USB

Windows installation wiped my USB: Are you kidding me? I installed windows installer into my USB flash drive with MediaCreationTool and it completely wiped and formatted my USB. There was no alert or warning about this in installer. I had very important stuff on that flash drive - data there cost actual money....
  6. USB Boot installation media - can't select USB in BIOS Select media files

USB Boot installation media - can't select USB in BIOS Select media files: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 7559 with Windows 10 Home. It came with a 1TB hard drive and I recently bought a WD blue 3d nand sata SSD m.2 500gb on which I would like to install a new Windows 10 boot. I have been following the instructions of...
  7. Install Windows 10 media onto USB

Install Windows 10 media onto USB: I am trying to update laptop windows 7 to 10. It failed on the laptop so I tried to update by downloading onto USB on a different computer and got this error. The USB has around 32 GB of memory and seems to be relatively new blue USB. The USB is completely empty. The laptop...
  8. Creation of Installation media for WIndows 10 in USB

Creation of Installation media for WIndows 10 in USB: Currently, I had to clean install everything after the SSD upgrade. But I couldn't create Installation media in a USB drive. Every time i try to create the installation media it says not enough space. I'm running Linux and tried to create USB installation media with...
  9. Cloning a Windows 10 installation USB media

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning a Windows 10 installation USB media: Question for all you Windows 10 vets, I have made a Windows 10 installation USB media and I need to clone the USB to 5 more USB keys. This is so I can update 6 PC at one time from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. I am using StarTech Standalone 1:5 USB Flash Drive Duplicator...
  10. Installing windows installation media to a USB.

Installing windows installation media to a USB.: I'm using a friends laptop to install windows to my new SSD, by installing the boot media to a USB. However, in the installation steps, after I select the USB/DVD option, instead of it giving me the option to select which drive to install it to in my case the USB it simply...