Windows 10: Windows 10 Memory Compression

Discus and support Windows 10 Memory Compression in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] With the announcement of the Memory compression feature, we have received a lot of queries from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 Memory Compression

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date[/quote]

Brink, Aug 20, 2015

2. System and compressed memory, messing up everything help please Windows 10  Memory Compression :(

I've tried all the suggestions listed, but the usage is still high. system
    and compressed memory

simontezzo, Aug 20, 2015
  3. DenetteBoyd-King, Aug 20, 2015
  4. Rocky Win User

Thanks, that is a good read.

Rocky, Aug 20, 2015
  5. That;s interesting. I have come to love yet hate some of the new hidden items in win10

69matrix69, Aug 20, 2015
  6. Rocky Win User
    Welcome to the forum.

Rocky, Aug 20, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    Yes indeed thanks, a very interesting read. I hope it makes it to the RTM soon.

8. LEE
    Lee Win User

. . .no big deal, along with no problems. . .*Smile

9. danielson Win User
    Will this help Firefox to startup faster and be more performing on the web too?

danielson, Aug 20, 2015
  10. Victek Win User
    "In summary, Memory compression allows Windows 10 to make better use of available memory on all systems by reducing physical memory utilization, resulting in fewer pagefile IO operations and a reduced reliance on disk. Furthermore, it improves the speed of writing to and reading from disk when MM determines paging must be enacted. In sum, we expect users to experience improved overall responsiveness and usability on all devices running Windows 10."

The universal "no free lunch" principal implies that there must be a trade-off here. I'm assuming that memory compression is going to add to CPU load ( ? ) Also I would think that the benefit of memory compression would be seen mostly on systems with less installed ram.

Now that this feature is available in the latest insider build I'm looking forward to third party reviews.

Victek, Aug 20, 2015
  11. Traijan Win User
    Isn't the average lifespan of flash based hard drives already something like 87 years?

Can we safely assume that if one has a lot of RAM (16GB or more) that this memory compression really isn't going to mean much to them?

Traijan, Aug 20, 2015
  12. danielson Win User
    I find their statement a bit ambiguous since it doesn't explicitly mention Windows 10 Preview.
    They've introduced it to Windows 10, what else could it be except for Windows 10 or Windows 10 Preview?

Memory Manager Improvements:

In Windows 10, we have added a new concept in the Memory Manager called a compression store, which is an in-memory collection of compressed pages...
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10525 | Blogging Windows

danielson, Aug 20, 2015
  13. Jairus24 Win User

It was introduced in Windows 10 Insider 10525. If you compare it in task manager/resource monitor, the way Windows 10 handles RAM in build 10525 is a little bit different than 10240, it uses less page file and build 10525 is more snappier while doing the same task. Results may differ from user to user but in my case it is snappier.

Jairus24, Aug 20, 2015
  14. So Windows 10 still heavily relies on pagefile?! My system is at 120 kB with pagefile disabled. *Rolleyes

TairikuOkami, Aug 20, 2015
  15. LMiller7 Win User
    The pagefile is and has always been an optimization allowing RAM to be used more efficiently. It is a place used to offload rarely used data so more RAM is available for more important purposes. Disabling the pagefile forces such data to remain in memory at all times, even if it is hardly ever used, even if it will never be used again. That is a crime against performance.

Compression allows this rarely used data to take up less space in RAM. And in the event that this data is written to the pagefile more data can be read or written in less time. This is a good thing. Yes, it will take time to compress this data but the extra CPU load is quite small and the benefits well worth the cost.

LMiller7, Aug 21, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Memory Compression - Similar Threads - Memory Compression

2. In use Compressed Memory using all of my ram.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In use Compressed Memory using all of my ram.: My compressed ram keeps increasing to use all of my ram. When I restart, it my computer works for a while then becomes unusable. I have had ram issues in the past bluescreens, crashing, pc shutting down without warning but I replaced my motherboard and RAM which seemed to...
  3. In use Compressed Memory using all of my ram.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In use Compressed Memory using all of my ram.: My compressed ram keeps increasing to use all of my ram. When I restart, it my computer works for a while then becomes unusable. I have had ram issues in the past bluescreens, crashing, pc shutting down without warning but I replaced my motherboard and RAM which seemed to...
  4. Windows 11 Memory Compression

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Memory Compression: My memory compression is turned on but when i open "TERMINAL" as administrator or powershell + cmd , all of them say "Invalid Namespace" so i cannot disable it. I have also tried "Get-MMAgent" and it is the same thing , the cmd I used to try disable it was "Disable-MMAgent...
  5. Windows 11 Memory Compression

Windows 11 Memory Compression: My memory compression is turned on but when i open "TERMINAL" as administrator or powershell + cmd , all of them say "Invalid Namespace" so i cannot disable it. I have also tried "Get-MMAgent" and it is the same thing , the cmd I used to try disable it was "Disable-MMAgent...
  6. Windows 11 standby list and memory compression

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 standby list and memory compression: Win 11I9 - 12900KF @5.0Ghz32 GB DDR5 @5200MhzRTX 3080Original thread:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-standby-list-and-memory-compression/4cc5956b-a8d2-42a3-8d4e-9e280bbc7699per the steps in the original thread on the last reply,"As a temporary...
  7. Windows 11 standby list and memory compression

Windows 11 standby list and memory compression: Win 11I9 - 12900KF @5.0Ghz32 GB DDR5 @5200MhzRTX 3080Original thread:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-standby-list-and-memory-compression/4cc5956b-a8d2-42a3-8d4e-9e280bbc7699per the steps in the original thread on the last reply,"As a temporary...
  8. memory compression

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  9. memory compression

in Windows 10 Gaming
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  10. memory compression