Windows 10: Windows 10 Metro UI shows blank squares instead of text

Discus and support Windows 10 Metro UI shows blank squares instead of text in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi guys Had this problem for a while now. Basically in any Metro app or the UI that uses Metro (for example printing from Edge) all i can see is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AndyCzUK, May 29, 2019.

1. AndyCzUK Win User

Windows 10 Metro UI shows blank squares instead of text

Hi guys

Had this problem for a while now. Basically in any Metro app or the UI that uses Metro (for example printing from Edge) all i can see is white rectangles where the text should be, as below:

This only affects Metro based dialogue boxes or apps. The rest of Windows is fine. I have a modern GFX card (1070 GTX) and all drivers are up to date. I have run sfc scan and all the main troubleshooting pieces. No obvious issues and i just cant work out why this is happening.

Windows 10 Metro UI shows blank squares instead of text 3d7bceb8-54ac-4bab-b843-8835e74dd4ef?upload=true.png

:)

AndyCzUK, May 29, 2019
  2. qubit Win User

Metro UI Tweaker: Make Windows 8 Look Like Windows 7

For those of you trying out the Windows 8 developer release who already hanker for the old Windows 7 look, help is now at hand! Enter Metro UI Tweaker from The Windows Club. From the screenshots below, you can see that things like the Explorer Ribbon and the Metro Start menu can be turned off. It can do a lot more, however.

Windows 10 Metro UI shows blank squares instead of text metro-ui-tweaker-windows-8_thm.jpg

Windows 10 Metro UI shows blank squares instead of text win8lookslikewin7_thm.jpg

Windows 10 Metro UI shows blank squares instead of text metro%20ui%20start_thm.jpg

Note: This application requires the enabling of .NET Framework 3.5.1 on the Windows 8 developer preview as follows:
    1 Fire up Control Panel then click on More Settings and go Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off
    2 Select .NET Framework 3.5.1 from the listing and click OK
    3 Windows will connect to Windows Update to download the required files
    4 When that’s done, you’re good to go

The tweaks currently being offered are:

1 Disable Metro Start menu: Disables only Metro Start menu screen. This function requires editing a system file. It does not remove the file
    2 Disable Metro Ribbon: Disables only the Metro Ribbon UI. It requires taking ownership of a system file. It does not remove this file
    3 Disable Metro Start menu and Ribbon: Disables the Metro Start menu UI, Ribbon UI, Metro Task Manager UI and the lock screen
    4 Enable Metro Start menu and Ribbon: Re-enables all available Metro UI options
    5 Add power options to the Metro Start menu screen: Logoff, Switch User, Lock, Sleep, Restart and Shutdown
    6 Add any application/file to the Metro UI Start menu screen: Some applications/files may not be available to you to add to the Metro Start menu screen. This program allows you to add those applications/files which would otherwise be unavailable

When first run, the program will generate a folder in your Windows directory labelled Metro UI Tools. This folder is there to keep your power option apps in place without worrying about them having to be moved. Once generated and the files are unpacked from the program, do not remove the folder or the power apps from this folder as these options will no longer be available and may generate errors. The program works on 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. It's constantly being refined, so check the Windows Club website regularly for updates.

Sources: ZDNet | The Windows Club | Microsoft Developer Preview Intro | Windows 8 Developer ISO download page

qubit, May 29, 2019
  3. tvganesh Win User
    Unable to enable Start screen Metro UI interface

Hi,

I upgraded to Windows 10. The upgrade was smooth and painless. But I see that I have the older Start Menu. I would like to enable the Metro UI also. I googled this and the procedure was to right click the task bar- Properties- and then

"Uncheck Use the Start menu instead of the Start screen option. To enable the Metro UI, Click
    Apply to accept the changes."

But I don't see the Start Menu at all. This is what I get. How can I re-enable the Metro UI in Windows 10. Please help.

Thanks

Ganesh

Windows 10 Metro UI shows blank squares instead of text 350fea4b-10aa-46fd-803a-a53aa5b0e15f.png

tvganesh, May 29, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Metro UI shows blank squares instead of text

File showing squares i/r/o hindi script

Thanks Mr. Arun BJ. Thanks for taking trouble. I tried my best to get my original script back through calls to MS toll free phone (but never got an access), also requesting known IT people for help but they too couldn't help and ultimately resorted to this
    method of asking the MS community.

Now the best part is that my own hit and make it idea got me through. I got an idea why not copy paste a page of blank squares of hindi script on the notepad. Lo my script was back in original form. It took me time (whole day today) to recover my original
    scripts through note pad by :- step 1 :- copy blank squares and paste it on notepad. Step 2:- text will be pasted in original .Copy text in original from notepad . Step 3 :- Delete blank squares on the page and paste the text from notepad. Lo you have the
    original text in hindi. Step 4 :- save the text. Step 5:- delete text from the notepad.

============= I am writing this for information to every member of the community. Some of whom may face same problem which I faced after upgrading the window 7 to window 10.

++++++++++++++Thanks once again to your kind trouble. Stay blessed. Tribhawan Kaul/India

TribhawanKaul, May 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Metro UI shows blank squares instead of text

1. Windows 10 Metro UI shows blank squares instead of text - Similar Threads - Metro shows blank

2. Why is notepad in Windows 11 showing weird squares instead of font

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is notepad in Windows 11 showing weird squares instead of font: Hi,I am using Windows 11 and Sans Serif Collection and Notepad is showing gibberish characters squares instead of real font. However fonts are showing correctly in toolbar when Im typing.It looks like this....
  3. Squares instead of circles

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Squares instead of circles: So the problem is whenever I open up something that loads, instead of showing the normal circle rotating, its a square/diamond. The same applies for any graph I see in excel or word. Does anybody know how to fix this? [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  4. Metro UI font is garbled or corrupted or glitchy in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metro UI font is garbled or corrupted or glitchy in Windows 10: Hi forum. I have a laptop where the text on the Windows 10 Metro UI elements Start menu, Windows Settings, Notifications, Lock screen, etc is unreadable. It was working fine for 1-1.5 years, then started to get a bit glitchy. Now it is very glitchy. I spent a few hours...
  5. Metro apps display blank tiles - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metro apps display blank tiles - Windows 10: I'm having trouble with the metro icons, in that instead of displaying the icon for the app, its showing nothing but the tile, empty. Its doing it for firefox and chrome, both, and they are the only ones showing this behavior. Here:...
  6. Metro style UI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metro style UI: New metro style UI is a big mistake and true piece of sh**t. Please kill it with fire. Pls send this message to Satya Nadella and Bill Gates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/metro-style-ui/323057de-38a5-487a-8ec6-d9435696b1ff
  7. Nothing in Metro UI Works

in Windows 10 Support
    Nothing in Metro UI Works: Hi all Recently I started having a problem where after my computer is on for awhile, nothing that operates in the Metro UI will open or function at all. This includes the Start menu, any Windows 10 apps including Settings, Task View, the alt-tab interface, etc. I also...
  8. Windows 10 Metro UI closes after opening any app.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Metro UI closes after opening any app.: Windows 10 Metro UI closes after opening any app. Start menu properties tab missing from taskbar properties window. Some say it has been removed... some show its usage in configuring Startup? Thank you 20131
  9. Desktop icons with blank square

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons with blank square: Installed W10 8 days ago Today after a restart some of my desktop icons have a white square in front of them I made the view on large icons , normaly i use smal then only the white square is showing I tryed an icon-cache-rebuild without success Solved by restoring a...
  10. UI's text rendering on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    UI's text rendering on Windows 10: Hi All, The following is a screenshot of the pop up menu when you right click on the desktop. In particular is the top part of it. I took it using the Windows 10's magnifier utility. [img] As you can see the text doesn't seem to be rendered correctly. That applies...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 rectangles instead of text