Windows 10: Windows 10: Middle Mouse Button is somehow being mapped to open the Windows Start Menu!!??

Discus and support Windows 10: Middle Mouse Button is somehow being mapped to open the Windows Start Menu!!?? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm actually a Unix programmer and most of my utilities, such as terminal emulators, and the applications I run via an X-Server, require middle-button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Swiss Frank, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Windows 10: Middle Mouse Button is somehow being mapped to open the Windows Start Menu!!??

I'm actually a Unix programmer and most of my utilities, such as terminal emulators, and the applications I run via an X-Server, require middle-button to do a "paste" operation.

My Windows 10 Enterprise VErsion 1709 OS Build 16299.1451 PC has two human interface devices. The first is a Lenovo ThinkPad-style SK-8855 USB keyboard with a TrackPoint "mouse" and three buttons. Without any special drivers, the middle button of this keyboard works as expected.

The second is a Logitech T400 USB blutooth mouse. Again, without any special drivers it works fine as a mouse, with left and right buttons and the scroll wheel works as well. (And of course, moving the cursor!)

However, the middle button on the mouse only is causing the Windows Start Menu to open!!??!!

I've tried the much-respected utility program X-Mouse Button Control. This program allows button events to be remapped. It seems to be working fine. I can remap right-button to generate a left-button event, and it takes effect with both the Lenovo and the Logitech. But if I use it to remap the middle button to the left-button, it works on the Lenovo... while the Logitech is still causing the Windows Start Menu to open.

Basically it acts like there may either be Windows 10 functionality, or, something that my firm installs by default but forget they install, which is turning middle-button mouse events into Left Windows Key events.

So my questions:

1) Is there any Windows 10 functionality that might do this by default?

2) Is there any PC manufacturer functionality that could be doing this? How do I find out my PC vendor? (It's locked under my desk and I can't see it.)

3) How can I investigate whether there are any utilities that would be changing events, as X-Mouse Button Control is doing, but that are already installed and thus mapping this event before any other application can get it?

4) Is there any way to examine the user event stream and see the specific messages being generated when I hit the middle button? For instance on X-Windows there's a utility called xev that logs all the events taking place.

Any other ideas?

:)

Swiss Frank, Oct 29, 2019
  2. scevism Win User
    scevism, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Jetster Win User

Windows 10: Middle Mouse Button is somehow being mapped to open the Windows Start Menu!!??

Jetster, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10: Middle Mouse Button is somehow being mapped to open the Windows Start Menu!!??

1. Windows 10: Middle Mouse Button is somehow being mapped to open the Windows Start Menu!!?? - Similar Threads - Middle Mouse Button

2. Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab: I have a Steelseries Aerox 3, recently the middle click has completely stopped working and I am wondering if its Windows or the mouse, I've looked on various sites for a fix to this but none work or even apply to me. I know ctrl click and other stuff like that exist, but its...
  3. Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab: I have a Steelseries Aerox 3, recently the middle click has completely stopped working and I am wondering if its Windows or the mouse, I've looked on various sites for a fix to this but none work or even apply to me. I know ctrl click and other stuff like that exist, but its...
  4. Windows button works but won't open start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows button works but won't open start menu: Recently my windows key has stopped working. I know for a fact it is not disabled or broken as I can press the windows button and it closes the start menu but it just won't open the start menu. Also whenever I hit the windows key it makes the blue circle spin on my cursor. I...
  5. Windows button works but won't open start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows button works but won't open start menu: Recently my windows key has stopped working. I know for a fact it is not disabled or broken as I can press the windows button and it closes the start menu but it just won't open the start menu. Also whenever I hit the windows key it makes the blue circle spin on my cursor. I...
  6. Windows button works but won't open start menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Windows button won’t open the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows button won’t open the start menu: At first my bluetooth can’t be turned on there’s no button to switch it so I searched for solutions so I updated my windows. Afterwards when I’’ clicking my windows button on the keyboard, the windows tab won’t open same with the one on the screen. I already tried sfc...
  8. Mouse button mapping to keyboard?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse button mapping to keyboard?: In Windows 10, can mouse buttons be mapped to the keyboard, or if not, is there a reputable app that can do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-button-mapping-to-keyboard/5d623ad7-0f28-40c1-949d-00d6810e0eaf
  9. Open Windows 10 start menu on mouse click not on release?

in Windows 10 Support
    Open Windows 10 start menu on mouse click not on release?: is it possible to tweak Windows 10 to open the start menu on mouse click not on release? Like Windows 7 148163
  10. Mouse scroll button opens Windows Start menu when clicked

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse scroll button opens Windows Start menu when clicked: I understand that this is some sort of a hotkey which opens up the start menu but I would like to disable it. I've tried to go into control panel, mouse settings, wheel, etc, and after poking around everywhere in the settings I wasn't able to find the settings that...