Windows 10: Windows 10 Minimizing Games to Desktop

Discus and support Windows 10 Minimizing Games to Desktop in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi! I've had my custom built desktop for a few months now. It has Windows 10 Pro installed as the OS. The issue I am having is that when I try to play... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Snowie, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Snowie Win User

Windows 10 Minimizing Games to Desktop

Hi! I've had my custom built desktop for a few months now. It has Windows 10 Pro installed as the OS. The issue I am having is that when I try to play games in fullscreen mode, they will periodically be minimized to the desktop. It appears they are still running in the background, as I can hear the game sound even when it is minimized. I can re-open the games as I could if I had just tabbed out, but within a few minutes they will minimize again. I have tried disabling background programs such as Skype, Curse Voice, Origin, Steam, Windows Firewall, and Bitdefender, but the games will still minimize. If I have the games in windowed fullscreen mode, they will not actually minimize, but from time to time the edges of the window will be visible (as if I had tabbed out) until I click into the game again.

Obviously playing games in windowed fullscreen is a sort of band-aid for the issue, but not all games have the option of windowed fullscreen, so I can't just wait for a fix to come up anymore. I have looked for solutions to this problem, but haven't found anything that helps.

On a possibly related side note, when using Open Broadcaster Software to record gameplay, OBS will record only a black screen in "game capture" mode. I have to use "monitor capture" mode to force it to always record everything that happens on my screen. This might be related to the games minimizing, or might be something completely different. I only added this in case it was relevant to the games minimizing.

:)

Snowie, Nov 15, 2015
  2. .Monkey Win User

Keeping Game Fullscreen

When I have a game on fullscreen mode on Windows 10 and then I switch to a different desktop and then come back to the game's desktop, the game becomes minimized and takes a while for it to go back into it. Is there any way to keep it from minimizing when
    switching desktops so I can get back to the game instantly without waiting ~10 seconds?

Thank you

.Monkey, Nov 15, 2015
  3. ALT+TAB to desktop no longer an option?

I used to be able to ALT+TAB back to my desktop and have all windows minimized on that monitor using windows 8.1. Now I can't do this with windows 10 and say when I'm playing a game , I cant see my desktop to do another function so i have to close out
    of the game and minimize all windows that are in front of the desktop because ALT+TAB doesn't give me an option to go straight to the desktop. I feel like there is just some option that I just don't have checked in my settings and need a bit of help.

AlexParkison, Nov 15, 2015
  4. batlhilz Win User

try running SFC /scannow and see what happens
    are you running some citrix stuff like citrix receiver? try also to remove the game launch icons from the desktop *Wink

batlhilz, Nov 16, 2015
  5. mlnevese Win User
    If you can try to edit the game configuration to match your desktop resolution. The problem is in the new Windows 10 high dpi scaling.

mlnevese, Nov 22, 2015
  6. Snowie Win User
    I'm not running any citrix stuff, and the only icon on my desktop is the recycle bin (empty). I'm still working on the sfc /scannow, so I'll be sure to update once I run it.

I have all my games set to match my desktop resolution :/

Snowie, Nov 22, 2015
  7. mlnevese Win User
    Try turning of the scaling in compatibility settings. This and the insane slow downs after the latest windows 10 update is almost convincing me to return to windows 8....

mlnevese, Nov 22, 2015
  8. Windows 10 Minimizing Games to Desktop

it didn't slow down for me at all.. not trying to go off topic but you should try doing disk cleanup and deleting the old windows.old folder.. would probably improve your performance.

BrandonR188, Nov 23, 2015
  9. mlnevese Win User
    mlnevese, Nov 23, 2015
  10. batlhilz Win User
    did you tried to remove the game icons from desktop? theres some random crashes/minimizations when you "mouseover" the game icons itself?

batlhilz, Nov 23, 2015
  11. Snowie Win User
    I don't have any game icons on my desktop. The only icon I have on my desktop is the recycle bin

Snowie, Nov 24, 2015
  12. LeeLYn Win User
    install new game for window *Biggrin

LeeLYn, Nov 24, 2015
  13. Snowie Win User

Do you mean the game files might be corrupted or something with an upgrade to windows 10? Unfortunately the OS that we bought for this desktop is windows 10, it hasn't had anything else on it. So all my games were installed with windows 10 as the OS.

Snowie, Nov 24, 2015
  14. I have this happen with several games I play full screen. I have zero icons on my desktop. Sometimes I can play without issues for hours. Sometimes it will minimize the game window about every 30 seconds. I've shut down just about everything possible and it still does this. Testing various compatibility mode settings has no effect either.

Game files are not corrupted. Have run full scans on all system files and the catalog as well. Zero change.

SylenThunder, Nov 25, 2015
  15. Snowie Win User
    So, my update is that SFC /scannow didn't find anything, and the issue has nothing to do with launch icons. The only icon I have on my desktop is the recycle bin, and I keep my launch icons on my taskbar. I tried hiding it and seeing how that would affect the issue, but the games still minimize, even when I'm using a controller and the pointer is "frozen" in the top left of my screen.

Snowie, Nov 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Minimizing Games to Desktop - Similar Threads - Minimizing Games Desktop

2. windows 10 keeps minimizing my games to desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 keeps minimizing my games to desktop: This just happens recently. If I play a game at Fullscreen, it minimize / alt tab to desktop. If I'm on windowed mode, I see flickering color change on the top of the tab color. I tried solutions like disabling Xbox game bar and rolled back graphics driver. submitted by...
  3. Windows 11 - games minimize to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - games minimize to desktop: There are many threads about this, going back more than a decade. I had this problem in Windows 10, and now I have it on a new machine with Windows 11. I have tried every solution that has been suggested, and nothing fixes it. The biggest problem is that it is impossible to...
  4. Windows 11 - games minimize to desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - games minimize to desktop: There are many threads about this, going back more than a decade. I had this problem in Windows 10, and now I have it on a new machine with Windows 11. I have tried every solution that has been suggested, and nothing fixes it. The biggest problem is that it is impossible to...
  5. Games keep minimizing to desktop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Games keep minimizing to desktop.: Hey everyone! So Ive started having this issue with my pc where all games just keep minimizing to the desktop randomly on their own. Its really annoying and I dont know whats causing it. Are any of you guys experiencing this at the moment? I havent changed any of my settings...
  6. Stop games from auto-minimizing to desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop games from auto-minimizing to desktop?: This issue has popped up within the last few weeks and I've never had it happen before in the years I've played games. While I am playing a game, anytime I leave the game idle for a minute or two as get up and walk away from my desk it automatically minimizes to the desktop....
  7. Games minimizing to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games minimizing to desktop: This is just a heads up in case you're suddenly finding your games minimizing to the desktop within the last couple of days. Up till yesterday, all my games ran great. Today, much frustration as games would open for 2 seconds then minimize, no matter which game I opened....
  8. Games minimizing to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games minimizing to desktop: It just started today. I haven't done anything, updated, downloaded, nothing along those lines. I've checked my keyboards, used 3 different ones. All have the same result. I do the same thing I've always done not closing background applications or windows on other...
  9. Minimize Games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minimize Games: i can't minimize games in win10, when the game have same resolution from desktop. anyone know how fix ? 24572
  10. Windows 10 Minimizing to Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Minimizing to Desktop: Hi Guys, Sorry for my first post to be a query. Having a really persistent issue with windows minimizing to desktop whilst gaming, or watching movies etc. Each time I notice a few blank icons quickly load up and disappear on the taskbar - so it is obviously whatever...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 minimizing game to desktop