Windows 10: Windows 10 Missing/Broken EXE Icon

Discus and support Windows 10 Missing/Broken EXE Icon in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Just the other day an icon for a game I just installed disappeared only a couple days after installing it. The Change Icon screen shows the actual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Norak Drogan, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Missing/Broken EXE Icon

Just the other day an icon for a game I just installed disappeared only a couple days after installing it. The Change Icon screen shows the actual icon, but both the EXE and shortcut show a blank/white icon. However, here's the strange part, making acopy of the EXE shows the icon properly. But when naming the copy to the original name it's broken again. See attached image. I've had this happen to another icon before, but that one somehow got fixed. For this one I have done the rebuild icon cache method multiple times. I have updated everything as suggested on other forums and sites. No luck. Can someone at least explain this and maybe offer a fix if possible? Thanks.

Windows 10 Missing/Broken EXE Icon 6dd4c068-6402-4ddc-8692-11bdb687afa1?upload=true.png

:)

Norak Drogan, Mar 10, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Mar 10, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    App Icons Missing

Hi Donna,

Corrupted applications are the possible causes why your program icons are missing after an update. To isolate your issue, we'd like to clarify a few things:

• When you hover your mouse over your taskbar or Start menu, are you seeing the icons for your apps?
    • Have you tried searching for a specific app and check if it will appear on the search results?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you repair and reset your applications using the steps shared by Meliton Dec on this

thread
    about restoring missing apps.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Mar 10, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 Missing/Broken EXE Icon

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Mar 10, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Missing/Broken EXE Icon

1. Windows 10 Missing/Broken EXE Icon - Similar Threads - Missing Broken EXE

2. Icons are broken on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Icons are broken on Windows 10: hi all, please see screenshot attached to see how icons on my Windows 10 system are broken.I have tried everything I can find online, including:- Reinstall all apps with PowerShell- Clearing IconCacheI want to avoid doing a PC Reset Recovery.Edition Windows 10 Pro Version...
  3. Icons are broken on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons are broken on Windows 10: hi all, please see screenshot attached to see how icons on my Windows 10 system are broken.I have tried everything I can find online, including:- Reinstall all apps with PowerShell- Clearing IconCacheI want to avoid doing a PC Reset Recovery.Edition Windows 10 Pro Version...
  4. Icons are broken on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. exe file missed icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    exe file missed icon: I have a exe file missed icon.The exe file of the program Exact Audio Copy in the folder C:\Program Files x86\Exact Audio Copyhas missed it's icon as what my screenshot has shown.I have uninstall the program and reinstall it many times but still not work.If I install the...
  6. exe file missed icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exe file missed icon: I have a exe file missed icon.The exe file of the program Exact Audio Copy in the folder C:\Program Files x86\Exact Audio Copyhas missed it's icon as what my screenshot has shown.I have uninstall the program and reinstall it many times but still not work.If I install the...
  7. EXE files are broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    EXE files are broken: So I looked up a tutorial on how to fix a exe file because I was having trouble with one, but no I cant open any of them submitted by /u/Sufficient-Start7680 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/khk0rf/exe_files_are_broken/
  8. broken .exe filetype association

in Windows 10 Customization
    broken .exe filetype association: I can't open any .exe programs. I've looked around in the forums and the solution seems to be to fix the registry keys, however I can't open regedit. I also can't open command prompt or task manager. Another solution was to tweak the registry without opening regedit either...
  9. Missing/broken icons in search results

in Cortana
    Missing/broken icons in search results: [ATTACH] Hello community! I am having the problem represented in the annexed image: some program icons are missing/not displayed in the results of the search tab. The problem seems to affect mainly Windows apps office suite, Groove Music, Calculator, Calendar and others, but...
  10. Windows 10 Icons Missing and File Explorer broken

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Icons Missing and File Explorer broken: My desktop show only the labels with no icons. Start menu and Taskbar icons is fine. The file explorer is also broken. But it only happens on my first account [ATTACH] [ATTACH] What i just do is installed Winaero tweakers to try aero lite, but i don't like it and disabling...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. broken exe icon