Windows 10: Windows 10 Modern Apps not Running

Discus and support Windows 10 Modern Apps not Running in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So, I am using Windows 10 Version 1909. When I try to open Modern Windows Apps like the Settings, Microsoft Store, or The Xbox app which are based on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BoiBoi3, May 28, 2020.

1. BoiBoi3 Win User

Windows 10 Modern Apps not Running

So, I am using Windows 10 Version 1909. When I try to open Modern Windows Apps like the Settings, Microsoft Store, or The Xbox app which are based on the Windows Universal Platform, I get an error from explorer.exe and the message says "class not registered." I need to know how to fix this because I do use the Xbox App occasionally. I've tried troubleshooting from command prompt but to no luck. Would this be a problem with corrupt Windows files? Is this caused by a damaged registry key? Is there any way to fix this without doing a fresh install?

:)

BoiBoi3, May 28, 2020
  2. Jan Del Win User

Windows 10 Modern apps not working

Hi Mike,

Since you just freshly reinstalled Windows 10, we suggest resetting apps by following the steps below:

• Type Settings on the search box.
    • Click on Settings.
    • On the left pane, click on Default apps.
    • Click Reset button under Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults.
    • Try to open another app and check if the issue persists.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Jan Del, May 28, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Modern Apps not working

These procedures can be used to fix issues with These win 10 apps. Mail, Calendar, Cortana, Start menu, and Settings. It probably will work for others but I have only tested it with these.

Solution 1: Re-register this App:

• Run Windows PowerShell as Administrator.
    • Type Get-AppxPackage, press
      Enter
    • From the output list, find the Mail App and remember the
      InstallLocation.
    • Type this command: Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6120.42011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml"}
    • It would run as below:

Solution 2: If re-register App cannot resolve your issue, Please reinstall the App.

Step 1: Uninstall it completely

• Run Windows PowerShell as Administrator.
    • Type Get-AppxPackage, press
      Enter
    • From the output list, find Mail App package and remember its
      PackageFullName as below:
    • And then type the following command: Remove-Appxpackage –Package microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6120.42011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Note: After running this command in Windows 10, the Mail icon still appear in the App list and Start menu. However, you cannot click to launch it. Just ignore and continue next
    step.

Step 2: Reinstall the App from Windows Store

Thanks to ForumFaq@Technet.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), May 28, 2020
  4. wrakoski Win User

Windows 10 'modern' apps frequently hang

I have a Surface Pro 3 and have had constant problems with 'modern' apps and Windows 10. I have tried almost everything, here is my history:

• Bought a SP3 with Windows 8.1
    • Forced the upgrade to Windows 10 - began to have problems
    • 'Reset' my PC using the OS reset (keep files), still had problems
    • Completely reset to factory Windows 10, still having problems
    Here are the symptoms - happens mostly after waking up from standby:

• Desktops apps are fine (Skype)
    • Modern apps appear to be running, but are unresponsive. The window is visible, I can move it around, but the application does not work.
    • I can swipe down, close the app, and relaunch, and everything is fine.
    • Has happened with mail, calendar, money, One Note, Photos, store
    All drivers and updates are installed, but it continues to happen.

I have run the SFC /scannow on all of the above scenarios - with no abnormal results.

wrakoski, May 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Modern Apps not Running - Similar Threads - Modern Apps Running

2. modern apps crashing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    modern apps crashing: Do you have an approach that typically resolves the issue of modern apps (store, photos, etc.) crashing instantly? start menu and settings still work. reregistering affected appx packages, sfc, and typical dism commands do not typically resolve the issue for me. this issue...
  3. Modernize and customize Windows 10 with these stunning apps

in Windows 10 News
    Modernize and customize Windows 10 with these stunning apps: Windows 10 is a vastly more open platform than its competitors and you can do almost whatever you want within reason. There are a variety of free, paid and open-source apps that can modernize your Windows experience. To customize Windows 10, you can install themes from the...
  4. Modern Apps on Windows 10 Loading and then Disappear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Modern Apps on Windows 10 Loading and then Disappear: Modern Apps on Windows 10 Loading and then Disappear Seems that Applocker is causing the issue. Microsoft Store is blocked by design by Applocker. Can't turn it off via GPO. This affecting standard users only and there are no issues if the user is an administrator....
  5. OnePlus 6T with Windows 10 is able to run Modern Warfare

in Windows 10 News
    OnePlus 6T with Windows 10 is able to run Modern Warfare: A developer who goes by the alias NTAuthority recently showed off a OnePlus 6T handset running Windows 10 on ARM operating system. After some tweaks to the system, Windows 10 ARM on OnePlus 6T works without any major issues. NTAuthority has now shared more progress on this...
  6. Windows 10 19h1 Modern apps not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 19h1 Modern apps not working: Hi, I am a member of the Windows 10 insider program and have joined the slow ring. I have install build 18342.19h1_release.190215-1528. now a number of my 'modern ui' apps are not working including Settings Feedback Hub Get Help Deezer Films & TV The application...
  7. Modern Windows apps broken.

Modern Windows apps broken.: It all started when I tried to use the calculator. I pressed the calculator key on my keyboard but the calculator app didn't open. It just flashed on the screen. I tried again but no luck. I googled and found this. I re-registered the apps and reboot my computer. Calculator...
  8. Modern Photo App

Modern Photo App: Any way to shuffle photos in slideshow? 10327
  9. Windows 10 modern apps not working...

Windows 10 modern apps not working...: So, I had a problem this morning regarding the modern apps icons, they were all blank whichever app I ran. Then I tried to fix them following this article: BEST FIX: Windows 10 Store Icon Missing - Appuals.com But, it just made things worse and now I can't even open Windows...
  10. No "Modern" Apps Launching

No "Modern" Apps Launching: I'm running build 9879, and there's a pretty big issue. Whenever I try to launch any "Modern" app, the icon appears in the taskbar, and the loading screen appears for a flash of a second, then disappears. The icon stays, and when I try to click the icon it flashes again but...