Windows 10: Windows 10 - Modifiable WindowsApps Folder keeps resetting permission

Discus and support Windows 10 - Modifiable WindowsApps Folder keeps resetting permission in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Path: F:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps Effect: It disable the inheritance of the entire 'Program Files' folder and sub folders, virtually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rikuddo, Dec 5, 2020.

1. rikuddo Win User

Windows 10 - Modifiable WindowsApps Folder keeps resetting permission

Path: F:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps

Effect: It disable the inheritance of the entire 'Program Files' folder and sub folders, virtually locking me out of any modification (creating new files/folder ...)

Methods I've tried:

1st Method: I tried using the 'Take Owernship context menu' and it works as long as Windows is running, as soon as I restart, the permission get reset again after about 30 sec - 1 min.

2nd Method: So, I took ownership of Program Files folder and moved all of the stuff to a new folder after that. Program Files was empty. Then I restarted and tried creating new folder in 'Program Files' which I did without any issue, but after few seconds I saw that 'ModifiableWindowsApps' was automatically created in Program Files and the inheritance was automatically disabled right after that.

I have all of my games in F:\Program Files, but when I run steam it fails to detect the installed game in that directory unless I run 'Take Ownership' command on every single logon.

Is there any way to either remove the folder or move the directory to somewhere else. It's just an empty folder, so I won't be losing any thing along with it.

:)

rikuddo, Dec 5, 2020

2. Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

I have been tearing what little hair I have left out of my head trying to copy a file from my desktop to the appropriate folder in the Kodi folder buried in the XBMC… folder in Windowsapps in a brand-new fairly high-end laptop running Windows 10 Pro. I cannot get beyond first what appears to be a UAC “Destination Folder Access Denied” error message saying “You’ll need to provide administrative permission to copy to this folder.” If I click on the UAC “continue” button I get another “Destination Folder Access Denied” error box saying “You need permission to perform this action.” The second error box has only “Try Again” and “Cancel” buttons. Nothing is listed under “More details” in either error box.

Here is most of what I have tried:

1. changing ownership of Windowsapps and all folders below it to my Microsoft account user and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    2. changing ownership to administrators group for Windowsapps and all folders below it and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    3. enabling the “hidden” administrator account, going back to my Microsoft user account and granting full-control rights to the administrator account, returning to the administrator account, taking control with that account, granting full control permission to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    4. creating a new administrator account and repeating 3;
    5. completely disabling UAC through the registry, once in the default administrator account and once in my Microsoft account user.
    6. adding and using the “Take Ownership” context option on a Windowsapps folder as described in the Tutorial at Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 ; and
    7. running the following commands in an administrator command window:

Code:
    as suggested at: Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders... - Windows 10 Forums
    In fact, even if I do an explicit copy from an administrator command window, I get an “access is denied” notice.

None of the many sources I have looked at online are of any help in dealing with this blockage. Please help — not only do I need to get full-control access to Windowsapps and its subfolders for this purpose, I also need to get full-control permission to Windowsapps folders in order to get rid of an annoying McAffee startup.exe which pops an error box on every boot up even though I removed McAffee in the normal way.

How can I get assured access to Windowsapps folders???

jedpaquette, Dec 5, 2020
  3. WindowsApps folder permission

Hello, how are you?

Welcome to the Microsoft community!

My name is Paloma B., I'm an independent advisor, I'm here to help you in the best possible way.

I understand that you are trying to access the WindowsApps folder and do not have permission to open it.

1. To gain access to the WindowsApps folder, right-click and click Properties to open the Windows Properties dialog box.

2. Switch to the Security tab. On the Security tab, click the Advanced button. This will open the advanced security settings for the WindowsApps folder.

3. Click the Change link next to the owner. Click the Yes button when you see the User Account Control dialog box. If you are prompted to enter the password, enter the administrator account password to proceed.

4. You can now see the permissions for the WindowsApps folder. Since you want to access the folder, you need to change the current permissions. To do this, click on the Change link.

5. Clicking the Change link will open the Select User or Group dialog box. In the Enter the name of the object to be selected field, type administrators and click the Check Names button. Click the OK button.

Alternatively, if you are using a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 10, in the “Enter the name of the object to be selected” field, enter your Microsoft email address and click the Check Names button. When you do this, Windows 10 will verify that the
    account exists on the computer and automatically show the actual Microsoft account username in the same field.

Click the OK button.

6. Finally, in the Advanced Security Settings window for WindowsApps, check the option Replace owner in subcontainers and objects.

In Permissions (see the image below), in the Access column, you should see Full Control.

Click the Apply button. Windows 10 will begin to change WindowsApps folder permissions now.

7. Double-click the WindowsApps folder and then click the Continue button when you see the confirmation dialog to open the WindowsApps folder.

I await news.

If these procedures helped you in any way, please click on "I solved my problem" and also mark as an answer, so you can help others users.

We will always be available for whatever you need!

Paloma Bianchini, Dec 5, 2020
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Getting full access to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Hey x509,
    IIRC ... it's not actually a corrupt entry, but a special permission/condition (Exists:WIN://SYSAPPID) for Users(Pc-Name\Users) and shouldn't be removed. If you must change permissions on the WindowsApps folder and/or sub folders/files .... I suggest you get familiar with ICACLS first and save the current WindowsApps Folder / Sub Folders / File permissions to a acl.txt file, so you can restore them in case you break something (which is very likely when messing with permissions)

ICACLS - iCacls - Modify Access Control List - Windows CMD - SS64.com

Eagle51, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - Modifiable WindowsApps Folder keeps resetting permission - Similar Threads - Modifiable WindowsApps Folder

2. WindowsApps folder permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WindowsApps folder permission: After following the instructions from = WindowsApps folder permission - Microsoft Community , I keep getting this error I'm using Windows11 by the way...I'm actually trying to copy a game downloaded from Microsoft Store to my external hard drive as I want to perform a clean...
  3. WindowsApps folder permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WindowsApps folder permission: After following the instructions from = WindowsApps folder permission - Microsoft Community , I keep getting this error I'm using Windows11 by the way...I'm actually trying to copy a game downloaded from Microsoft Store to my external hard drive as I want to perform a clean...
  4. windowsapps folder permissions denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windowsapps folder permissions denied: I tried the method with security and change Owner but it doesnt work at all. I keeps saying "You have been denied permission to access this folder" I only want to change a game's path without downloading over 100 gb again...
  5. windowsapps folder permissions denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windowsapps folder permissions denied: I tried the method with security and change Owner but it doesnt work at all. I keeps saying "You have been denied permission to access this folder" I only want to change a game's path without downloading over 100 gb again...
  6. windowsapps folder permissions denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. WindowsApps Folder Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WindowsApps Folder Permissions: After more work than I'm willing to admit, I managed to acquire almost full access to the WindowsApps folder. My issue now is that while I can overwrite and copy files except for executables, for some reason from the folders within such as...
  8. Windows 10 - ModifiableWindowsApps Folder keeps resetting permission

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - ModifiableWindowsApps Folder keeps resetting permission: Path: F:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps Effect: It disable the inheritance of the entire 'Program Files' folder and sub folders, virtually locking me out of any modification (creating new files/folder ...) Methods I've tried: 1st Method: I tried using the 'Take...
  9. WindowsApps folder permission

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WindowsApps folder permission: I have a WindowsApps folder taking up a LOT of space on my E:\ external hard drive, I'm fairly certain that the data is not being used by either my laptop or desktop windows OS's as this drive is only used for storing media. Currently I cannot access or delete or otherwise...
  10. WindowsApps reset default permissions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    WindowsApps reset default permissions: Is there anyway to reset the permissions back to Account Unknown() for the WindowsApps folder? I wanted to have a look in it, I changed the ownership to myself and now I just want to reset it back to the default. The default was Account Unknown(sequence of some kind), but you...