Windows 10: Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered

Discus and support Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Here are a few more answers to some nagging questions about Windows 10 upgrades and activation in the post-Anniversary-Update era. Phasing out the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered

Read more: Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered | ZDNet

See also: Your Windows 10 Activation Questions, Answered - Thurrott.com

Brink, Aug 10, 2016

2. Interesting reading. Thanks.

:)

alphanumeric, Aug 10, 2016
  3. Will I be able to upgrade from the Windows 10 Insider Preview to the final release?

Original Title: I have a question. Please answer me anyone who know about this. Correct Answer is very helpful for me.

I am an Insider Program user of Windows 10. I know that, I can free upgrade to Windows 10 RTM. But my question is, Shall I need a genuine license key for activate Windows 10 RTM after upgrade? Or Will it totally free/no activation required for me that I
    can use Windows 10 RTM/final version? Please help me a correct answer.

Md. Nur-E-Alam Siddique, Aug 10, 2016
  4. John582n Win User

Fresh Full Install

Answer to your first question is No. The free version does not use product keys

To get an activated free version of Windows 10 you must first upgrade the existing Windows 7 or 8. Once that is done, and it is activated, in most cases you can then do a clean install and retain activation.

The answer to your second question is yes, from the Microsoft Store and some retail outlets.

John582n, Aug 10, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User

Your Windows 10 Activation Questions, Answered - Thurrott.com

We see:

"Can I activate my free Windows 10 upgrade after the July 29 cut-off date?

Yep. Assuming you downloaded the Anniversary Update download before August 1, you can start and finish Setup, and activate successfully, at any time in the future.
    “If the download finishes and they are in the install phase, the install will finish and they will in fact be activated and be just fine,” the documentation notes. “The deadline cuts off the download only.”

This indicates that the download available to Insiders (the one I saved) is in some way different from the upgrade offered for general release after August 2nd - is this so?

Fafhrd, Aug 10, 2016
  6. Wynona Win User
    But the Anniversary Update wasn't available for download until August 2, so how can this be a true statement???

Total confusion and disbelief for me. Although I don't have to worry if it's true or not, since I upgraded way back when . . .

Wynona, Aug 10, 2016
  7. DavidY Win User
    I'm guessing that's an error - if it said "downloaded the Windows 10 Upgrade before 1 August" (or 30 July, but maybe the weekend didn't count) it would make a whole lot more sense.

But it also suggests that there will be a perpetual way to upgrade, and I also wonder if the gatherosstate tool method will continue to work because I assume that's related.

DavidY, Aug 10, 2016
  8. Fafhrd Win User

It seems to depend on the 1607 update available to Insiders on 20th July (available for download before 01 August 2016) being subtly different to the 1607 update available to all users after 02 August 2016. and the truth of Thurrot's statement.

Fafhrd, Aug 10, 2016
  9. What the anniversary update is is the latest of the Redstone 1 builds. Several RS1 Insider Preview builds also qualify as permanent activation with the August 2nd 14393.10 being the general RTM type release of same. If you already saw 10 activated before/by the July 29th deadline the Redstone 1 Anniversary build simply becomes as easy as previous versions saw service packs applied and retain the activation status. The hardware profile of the system was already recorded into the MS Activation data base.

Night Hawk, Aug 10, 2016
  10. AndreTen Win User
    Indeed (regarding the difference of 1607 builds), but why is Thurrot (or MS) limiting ability of upgrade (we are talking 7,. 8 to 10 and not 10 RTM to AU) to 1607 release and not to all releases before?

AndreTen, Aug 11, 2016
  11. pigpenz Win User
    have some nice computers that I couldn't upgrade to 10

pigpenz, Aug 11, 2016
  12. The Anniversary update didn't even arrive on any pc here first being the main where the Get insider builds option was canceled for the 385 buiild while the second testing system still sees that option enabled. A 3rd desktop previously upgraded from 7 HP x64 to 10 Home as well as recently brand new 10 laptop never saw it either. I had to manually mount the iso downloaded by way of MC Tool to manually start the upgrade to update process.

The Insider Preview builds are far from over with however. Within the next few weeks perhaps the next build will be announced when the next developer build which is mostly what those are is ready for testing updates to come on.

Be aware of one odd issue being seen for some with a new error about Insider settings needing attention following the Redstone 1 Anniversary update going on. Suddenly this one has been surfacing not only on a thread here but at the MS discussion sites as well.

Night Hawk, Aug 11, 2016
  13. jshaw42 Win User

Do I need to be online when I install the Anniversary update?

jshaw42, Aug 11, 2016
  14. To activate, yes.

alphanumeric, Aug 11, 2016
  15. Lost track of what thread I was in, lol. You may also have to be online to upgrade, all depends on how your doing the upgrade. If you have created install media, you can upgrade offline. It won't activate but you can upgrade with no Internet connection. If your doing an upgrade now from the Media Creation Tool, you need to be online at least until it downloads the setup files and reboots for the first time.

alphanumeric, Aug 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered - Similar Threads - More free upgrade

2. Answer the question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Answer the question: Is there for once someone from Microsoft who can give a straight answer:People have asked: What is aggregatorhost.exe and what does it do ?What we see is a lot of **** answers which is useless.So!! What is it and what does it do ?...
  3. Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.: I have an old machine that was originally running Windows 7 Pro(Retail) and I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro through the free upgrade process. I believe I tied it to an MS Account with my email, but cannot remember. I logged onto my account from another computer and see my...
  4. Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Activation.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Activation.: So, many Windows 7 and 8.1 users started getting the notification to reserve their free copies of Windows 10. But what about those insiders who clean installed the Insider Preview? (Not upgraded from an existing system). How will activation work? Gabe Aul said on...
  5. Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question

Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question: I have a few questions relating to the license terms for the Free Windows 10 Upgrade from 7. 1) Does the license require that Window 7 be replaced on the computer with Windows 10? For example, can I create an image of my existing Win 7 system, recover it to a second hard...
  6. technet activations & free Win 10 upgrade question

technet activations & free Win 10 upgrade question: I used to subscribe to Technet before Microsoft discontinued the program. I have a legal, retail, Windows 7 Premium package that was an upgrade to Vista. I just used one of my Technet Windows 7 Ultimate keys that I had saved from my Technet subscription to upgrade...
  7. Free upgrade to Windows 10 installation question

Free upgrade to Windows 10 installation question: To introduce myself, I am a 75 year old, grey haired wrinkly with a little computer knowledge but not too much. Please forgive me if this question seems trivial to some of you. Like many of you, I have the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 and, I intend to do it once...
  8. Free upgrade question

in Windows 10 Support
    Free upgrade question: Hi, I have been reading the free upgrade FAQ on here and stuff on other sites but still unsure about one point. Once my PC has downloaded the files for doing the free upgrade do I have to perform the upgrade within the first year since Win 10 launch or can I do it at a later...
  9. Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired?: @Kari, @simrick, Ok. So there's this "rumor" floating around that the free upgrade has been "extended" by Microsoft. So I did a little experiment on my custom built computer that has never had Windows 10 Home on it before. Here's the results: Clean install of Windows 10...
  10. Windows 10 Pricing: Some questions answered, more info coming soon

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Pricing: Some questions answered, more info coming soon: On January 21, Microsoft held a press conference where they discussed the next chapter of Windows, and showcased a lot of cool new features that are coming in Windows 10, such as Cortana integration, a new web browser codenamed Spartan, and even new hardware that's going to...