Windows 10: Windows 10 - Multiple Monitors - Virtual Desktop help

Discus and support Windows 10 - Multiple Monitors - Virtual Desktop help in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Today I noticed a problem with my applications moving off of my desktop and I had no idea what happened. Everything slid off to the left on all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by randomname00, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Windows 10 - Multiple Monitors - Virtual Desktop help

Today I noticed a problem with my applications moving off of my desktop and I had no idea what happened. Everything slid off to the left on all my monitors.

What made this really confusing is ALT+Tab would not show my programs I had open any more though they were still running. I had to use Task Manager to find the program and the Switch to function to bring back all of my applications.

Some searching has revealed this to be something with Task View and Virtual Desktops. However, I have no idea what triggered the computer to do this on its own something wonky going on with the software for my keyboard. None of the search results mention getting rid of the baked in Windows shortcuts for this "feature."

In short, how do I disable the shortcuts in Windows which work with virtual desktops. I do not want to activate any virtual desktop with any Windows shortcuts. I have multiple monitors and I can definitely say this feature does not work well with multiple monitors even if I wanted to use it.

:)

randomname00, Feb 20, 2020
  2. Mala_S Win User

virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Feb 20, 2020
  3. LKNY Win User
    Multiple Monitors and Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Often I'm using an extra monitor when working on my computer with Windows 10. I like to put on Netflix or some other form of video on the additional monitor. However, when I'm switching between virtual desktops, the Netflix window travels with the desktop
    it was originally associated with, causing me to have to pause my workflow to manually move it with me.

Is there any way to get a window to switch virtual desktops with me? Or better yet, a way to make the extra monitor have a virtual desktop all of it's own that can function when I switch between desktops on my primary screen?

Any suggestions appreciated.

4. [-Dan-] Win User

Windows 10 - Multiple Monitors - Virtual Desktop help

virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hi, my workspace use 6 display monitor from 1 PC

- 1 monitor for main PC display

- 5 monitor for business-related display (opening browser on different pages)

- 1 PC (i5 7th gen, windows 10 pro)

Those 5 displays are extended via HDMI splitter. My problem is moving windows by dragging them is hard & time consuming. those displays are at long distance and sometimes visually blocked by something.

Recently I find how virtual desktop works ( WINDOWS + TAB ) and it's so convenient if I could do the same for multiple monitor.

I want to do these things for example:

- sending windows from monitor 1 to monitor 5 without dragging them one by one.

- seeing preview what's on monitor 2 or monitor 3, etc.

- switching my main display to other monitor.

How can I achieve the virtual desktop functionality but instead with multiple monitor?

[-Dan-], Feb 20, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - Multiple Monitors - Virtual Desktop help

1. Windows 10 - Multiple Monitors - Virtual Desktop help - Similar Threads - Multiple Monitors Virtual

2. Multiple Monitors and Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple Monitors and Virtual Desktops in Windows 10: I bought a second monitor recently and everything was working as expected till I started switching between the Virtual Desktops. Whenever I switch the Virtual Desktops in one monitor, it switches in the other monitor as well, is there a way I can display a different virtual...
  3. Multiple monitor desktop background help.

Multiple monitor desktop background help.: Hi, I was hoping somebody knows how to set this up. I have two curved monitors on my desk. And then I have another monitor and a sketch tablet on another desk facing a different direction, they are all hooked up to the same machine. So 4 displays total. The two curved...
  4. Help with multiple monitors on windows 10

Help with multiple monitors on windows 10: Hi. I have a problem. Recently I installed 2 monitors on a office PC. But there's this problem. I click one app like chrome and opens in monitor 1. Then another one and opens in the second monitor. There's any configuration to change that? submitted by /u/Kittenro [link]...
  5. Multiple / Virtual Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple / Virtual Desktop: I have a Surface Pro 7, running Windows 10 2004. Why can I not get multiple Desktop's?? Is this because I have the home version?? Mark https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-virtual-desktop/5eb125ba-d29a-40c7-b926-8621ad167ad7
  6. Splitting virtual desktop in multiple monitors doesn't fit the screen

Splitting virtual desktop in multiple monitors doesn't fit the screen: Hi, I am trying to split my virtual desktopCitrix between my laptop and the monitor. When I drag the vdi in between both laptop screen and monitor and maximize it, It splits the desktop, however, the desktop comes only half on the monitor and half of the monitor keeps the...
  7. Switching multiple virtual desktops on external monitor

Switching multiple virtual desktops on external monitor: Hi everyone, I need some help with switching virtual desktops. I used to have a MacBook pro and I was able to switch between multiple desktops on both my laptop and the monitor external display. I wasn't to be able to do the same, however when I switch desktops on my...
  8. Switch virtual desktops independently on multiple monitors

Switch virtual desktops independently on multiple monitors: I was delighted to find Windows now has Virtual Desktops which I love. I like having all my work windows on one desktop and then any personal browsing and messaging applications on another. However and this is my use case I work on two monitors with my IDE Development...
  9. virtual desktop as multiple monitor

virtual desktop as multiple monitor: Hi, my workspace use 6 display monitor from 1 PC - 1 monitor for main PC display - 5 monitor for business-related display (opening browser on different pages) - 1 PC (i5 7th gen, windows 10 pro) Those 5 displays are extended via HDMI splitter. My problem is moving...
  10. Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops: Which would be the preferred option - W10 Multiple Desktops or a 3rd-party utility such as Dexpot...? T. 7293