Windows 10: Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity

Discus and support Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to a new Windows 10 Pro desktop PC. It contains 1 SSD for the system drive (about 1 third full), and 2 large capacity mechanical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Glutenus Maximus, May 25, 2019.

1. Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity

I recently upgraded to a new Windows 10 Pro desktop PC. It contains 1 SSD for the system drive (about 1 third full), and 2 large capacity mechanical HDDs. I also have 2 external HDDs connected via USB. Apart from the SSD, all drives are from Western Digital.

What has started happening is that one of the internal drives and one of the external drives are exhibiting extended periods of the read/write heads moving (sound + vibration), yet when I check via the Windows Resource Monitor, it dispalys zero activity on those drives (!)

If this is due to a disk defrag for example, wouldn't that process and ascociated disk activity show up in the Resource Monitor?

Also, I ran Western Digital's disk diagnostics app on the drives, but there were no errors reported, so I'm assuming it's something in my software that is causing this.

I'm very confused and somewhat concerned.

BTW, when the ext. drive goes to sleep it stops making noises, but as soon as it wakes up, the heads start hammering again. It's harder for me to tell with the internal drive as its not so noisy and I can't put my hand on it to feel the vibrations like I can with the external drive.

I'd appreciate some insightful help with this.

:)

Glutenus Maximus, May 25, 2019
  2. little cat, May 25, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 25, 2019
  4. $immond$ Win User

Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity

Windowed Hard Drives

On the contrary, showing off "slow tech" by adding a window to a hard drive is a "dumb" idea. Do you really want to be showing off a whole "7200-10000 RPM of power" or would you rather show off a plain SSD drive? (If you really desire to "show off")

Adding any window to any drive is just stupid. I just suggested an easier option for you since manufactures don't put windows on the latest hard drives.

$immond$, May 25, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity

1. Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity - Similar Threads - Mysterious Hard Drive

2. Activating Windows 10 Home on a new Hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 Home on a new Hard drive: I installed a new hard drive. Now my windows 10 Home will not activate. According to my old drive "Windows 10 Home is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account." With the new Hard Drive I get the following message: "We found a Windows 10 digital...
  3. Dead hard drive with activated windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead hard drive with activated windows: Recently, my hard drive died with windows 10 home installed on it. I do not have the key for it however, because it was a laptop that included a copy of windows 10. I was wondering if there was any way that i would be able to install it on the new hard drive, which is taking...
  4. Windows 10 activation after changing hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 activation after changing hard drive: The hard drive broke down a few months ago.This PC had a license bound to this PC. I gave the PC to the service center and they changed the hard drive. Since that moment I have been facing issues with Windows activation - the system requires that I activate the Windows 10...
  5. Activating windows 10 after fprmat of the hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating windows 10 after fprmat of the hard drive: my hard drive got formatted and while I try to activate windows 10 I get a message the says the key is not good ,what can I do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activating-windows-10-after-fprmat-of-the-hard/c2568cf2-fbcd-4a9f-8a39-1c5c094b51de"
  6. activate windows 10 after hard drive replacement

activate windows 10 after hard drive replacement: How do I activate Windows 10 after replacing my hard drive. I tried windows key and X as suggested and find "no administrative" space to fill in. I have my old windows xp disc with a number on it....
  7. Mystery drive

Mystery drive: Available drives \\?\Volumes(22100F1af1f9-4a2d92. That is an extra drive that is showing. It shows protection settings off for also. And I noticed the shared PC account manager shows catastrophic failure. Can anyone help me out with this....
  8. Mysterious Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mysterious Drive: Installed Windows 10 Enterprise for my company. User logs in and when he open This PC he notices a mysterious drive (M) with a Blue Question mark over the drive. Right clicking on the drive and choosing properties reveals nothing but folder properties. A Google Search...
  9. Mysterious Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious Drive: Installed Windows 10 Enterprise for my company. User logs in and when he open This PC he notices a mysterious drive (M) with a Blue Question mark over the drive. Right clicking on the drive and choosing properties reveals nothing but folder properties. A Google Search...
  10. Mystery Hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mystery Hard drive: 1 TB hard drive had approximately 750 GB in use. Made an image of the 1 TB hard drive. Installed the image on a new 2 TB hard drive and now it shows only 488 GB in use. No, the new hard drive is not showing any compression being used. All programs, data, pictures and...