Windows 10: Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official

Discus and support Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Last month, not long after Windows 10 9860 was released, Neowin (and its forum users) uncovered that MKV support was natively included with the build.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official

Read more...

:)

Brink, Nov 3, 2014
  2. SubrataBhattacharya Win User

Unable to play music and videos on my 640xl windows 8.1!

What type of media file you are talking about? Ex: mp4 or mkv or other. As far as I know Win 8.1 cannot play mkv videos natively (most movies are using mkv format now a days). So if that is the case upgrading will help since Windows 10 have mkv support
    natively.

SubrataBhattacharya, Nov 3, 2014
  3. Andre Da Costa Win User
    Andre Da Costa, Nov 3, 2014
  4. unifex Win User

That's great, except that mkv is not a codec. Now the question is, which codec are they going to include?

For now, Windows (at leaset, my build 9860) cannot play mkv files encoded with H.264 ...

unifex, Nov 4, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Not quite working properly yet (Build 9860) with H264 (same as previous poster in this thread).

Also NO SUBTITLE SUPPORT at least not that I can see unless they are hardcoded which is what you don't always want - especially if you create subtitles for several languages -- not everybody's first language who uses Windows is English and also what about hearing impaired people who find subtitles useful too.

I can't see any competitor yet to VLC !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 4, 2014
  6. VBS
    VBs Win User
    MKV is container not format and still no subtitle support :/ as of now it's no good better to use VLC or third party codecs.

7. Fantail Win User
    jimbo; have you tried KMPlayer?
    It's feature loaded, can even capture with it.

Fantail, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official - Similar Threads - Native MKV support

2. Firefox is getting support for Windows 10 native notifications

in Windows 10 News
    Firefox is getting support for Windows 10 native notifications: Just like any other web browsers, Mozilla Firefox has support for push notifications built in. Windows 10 has a notification system called Action Center, but Firefox doesn’t utilize it. It appears that we can soon expect to see Firefox notifications delivered through Windows...
  3. Classic Shell 4.2 officially supports Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Classic Shell 4.2 officially supports Windows 10: I won't use it, but here it is... Classic Shell 4.2.0 beta is released. You can download it from: http://www.mediafire.com/download/r3...etup_4_2_0.exe Here's what's new: Improved support for Windows 10 New ability to apply settings from XML files from command...
  4. Quick Discussion of native RAID 0 support in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Quick Discussion of native RAID 0 support in Windows 10: On the Microsoft Forums Someone wrote: Again, not one single post in thousands I've helped with in forums about RAID that was positive - every single one was either a problem or a disaster. And if you already knew the answer then why did you ask? I qualified my...
  5. I thought MKV format was to be supported

in Windows 10 Support
    I thought MKV format was to be supported: Did I misunderstand? I thought somewhere it was reported that the new build Media Player was to support .MKV files? Neither Media Player or the Metro app do, 3761
  6. Microsoft Makes it Official: Becomes Sponsor of Open Source Initiative

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Makes it Official: Becomes Sponsor of Open Source Initiative: After years of increasing involvement and engagement in open source software projects and communities, Microsoft takes what may be their most dramatic step, joining the home of the open source software movement. PALO ALTO, Calif. - Sept. 26, 2017 -- The Open Source...
  7. Windows 10: 9901 has native FLAC support

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: 9901 has native FLAC support: We knew it was coming and in the latest build of Windows 10 that leaked, FLAC support is now native to the OS. This shouldn't come as a major surprise as Microsoft already teased support for FLAC and now you can test it out for yourself. FLAC stands for 'Free Lossless...
  8. Intel announces official support for Vulkan graphics API on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Intel announces official support for Vulkan graphics API on Windows: Vulkan* targets high performing real-time 3D graphics applications, like games, while giving low-overhead hardware control over GPU acceleration to developers. Vulkan* utilizes many open-source libraries and utilities, and promises great performance and predictability, while...
  9. Windows 10 will support FLAC natively

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 will support FLAC natively: For media enthusiasts, Windows 10 is shaping up to be a good OS for your next media player as Microsoft has announced that FLAC support will ship with Windows 10. This codec is widely used and will be a welcomed addition to Windows 10. FLAC stands for 'Free Lossless Audio...
  10. Windows 10: MKV support out of the box

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: MKV support out of the box: In the latest version of Windows 10, Windows Media Player can play MKV files natively which will be welcomed improvement for those of you who do not like to download codecs. Read more... 2623