Windows 10: Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official

Discus and support Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Last month, not long after Windows 10 9860 was released, Neowin (and its forum users) uncovered that MKV support was natively included with the build.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official

Read more...

:)

Brink, Nov 3, 2014

2. Unable to play music and videos on my 640xl windows 8.1!

What type of media file you are talking about? Ex: mp4 or mkv or other. As far as I know Win 8.1 cannot play mkv videos natively (most movies are using mkv format now a days). So if that is the case upgrading will help since Windows 10 have mkv support
    natively.

SubrataBhattacharya, Nov 3, 2014
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 3, 2014
  4. unifex Win User

That's great, except that mkv is not a codec. Now the question is, which codec are they going to include?

For now, Windows (at leaset, my build 9860) cannot play mkv files encoded with H.264 ...

unifex, Nov 4, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Not quite working properly yet (Build 9860) with H264 (same as previous poster in this thread).

Also NO SUBTITLE SUPPORT at least not that I can see unless they are hardcoded which is what you don't always want - especially if you create subtitles for several languages -- not everybody's first language who uses Windows is English and also what about hearing impaired people who find subtitles useful too.

I can't see any competitor yet to VLC !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 4, 2014
  6. VBS
    VBs Win User
    MKV is container not format and still no subtitle support :/ as of now it's no good better to use VLC or third party codecs.

7. Fantail Win User
    jimbo; have you tried KMPlayer?
    It's feature loaded, can even capture with it.

Fantail, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official - Similar Threads - Native MKV support

2. Why is Windows Official Support...?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Windows Official Support...?: Why does Windows Offical Support page NEVER have the correct answer? Honestly, this is a legitament question. Every time I have even the simplest question related to Microsofts own OS, the answsers are truly never within the Microsoft communtity forum. You would figure the...
  3. Why is Windows Official Support...?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Windows Official Support...?: Why does Windows Offical Support page NEVER have the correct answer? Honestly, this is a legitament question. Every time I have even the simplest question related to Microsofts own OS, the answsers are truly never within the Microsoft communtity forum. You would figure the...
  4. Why is Windows Official Support...?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Official Microsoft Support

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Official Microsoft Support: I have a few questions related to Microsoft Support:Is there an official Microsoft support for Windows or Windows Apps area? If yes, is it free or paid?Can someone provide the link if it does exist?The only area I found for support provides "how to" information for the...
  6. Official Microsoft Support

Official Microsoft Support: I have a few questions related to Microsoft Support:Is there an official Microsoft support for Windows or Windows Apps area? If yes, is it free or paid?Can someone provide the link if it does exist?The only area I found for support provides "how to" information for the...
  7. supporting .mkv files

supporting .mkv files: Hello, I am an aspiring youtuber that does not have software and uses Photos. recently i have been using OBS studio and saw that Photos does not support .mkv fileswhat obs saves recordings as. I am wondering if you guys could start supporting .mkv files! -thirtymoredays...
  8. Official support for Windows 10 on ARM development

in Windows 10 News
    Official support for Windows 10 on ARM development: Today is an exciting day for Windows 10 on ARM. With the official release of Visual Studio 15.9, developers now have the officially supported SDK and tools for creating 64-bit ARM (ARM64) apps. In addition, the Microsoft Store is now officially accepting submissions for apps...
  9. Windows 10 will support FLAC natively

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 will support FLAC natively: For media enthusiasts, Windows 10 is shaping up to be a good OS for your next media player as Microsoft has announced that FLAC support will ship with Windows 10. This codec is widely used and will be a welcomed addition to Windows 10. FLAC stands for 'Free Lossless Audio...
  10. Windows 10: MKV support out of the box

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: MKV support out of the box: In the latest version of Windows 10, Windows Media Player can play MKV files natively which will be welcomed improvement for those of you who do not like to download codecs. Read more... 2623