Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official

Discus and support Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official in Windows 10 News on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Last month, not long after Windows 10 9860 was released, Neowin (and its forum users) uncovered that MKV support was natively included with the build.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Read more...

:)

Brink, Nov 4, 2014
  2. SubrataBhattacharya Win User

Unable to play music and videos on my 640xl windows 8.1!

What type of media file you are talking about? Ex: mp4 or mkv or other. As far as I know Win 8.1 cannot play mkv videos natively (most movies are using mkv format now a days). So if that is the case upgrading will help since Windows 10 have mkv support
    natively.

SubrataBhattacharya, Nov 4, 2014
  3. Andre Da Costa Win User
    Andre Da Costa, Nov 4, 2014
  4. unifex Win User

That's great, except that mkv is not a codec. Now the question is, which codec are they going to include?

For now, Windows (at leaset, my build 9860) cannot play mkv files encoded with H.264 ...

unifex, Nov 4, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Not quite working properly yet (Build 9860) with H264 (same as previous poster in this thread).

Also NO SUBTITLE SUPPORT at least not that I can see unless they are hardcoded which is what you don't always want - especially if you create subtitles for several languages -- not everybody's first language who uses Windows is English and also what about hearing impaired people who find subtitles useful too.

I can't see any competitor yet to VLC !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 4, 2014
  6. VBS
    VBs Win User
    MKV is container not format and still no subtitle support :/ as of now it's no good better to use VLC or third party codecs.

7. Fantail Win User
    jimbo; have you tried KMPlayer?
    It's feature loaded, can even capture with it.

Fantail, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official - Similar Threads - Native MKV support

1. Does Win10 have a native tool for sending files to an Android Phone?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does Win10 have a native tool for sending files to an Android Phone?: Is there a way to right click on a file in Explorer and send/share it directly to my phone or has this not been implemented yet by Microsoft? If not, I'd think that many Win 10 users would love to have this feature. I've been using an Android app to get this done but would...
  2. VLC launches native dedicated ARM64 app for Windows

in Windows 10 News
    VLC launches native dedicated ARM64 app for Windows: Last Month, at Build 2018 Microsoft’s annual developer conference, the company officially introduced the ARM64 SDK that allows developers to port their app to the native 64-bit app. And today, VLC becomes one of first ARM64 Windows application. VLC officially introduced the...
  3. Native Ads on the Microsoft Ad Monetization Platform

in Windows 10 News
    Native Ads on the Microsoft Ad Monetization Platform: We at Microsoft are committed to helping developers maximize their monetization through ads. The Microsoft ad mediation service along with the Microsoft Advertising SDK are the two key components of  Microsoft’s new ad monetization platform that dynamically optimizes ad...
  4. Pass Native file systems to GUEST OS's for better I/O

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Pass Native file systems to GUEST OS's for better I/O: Hi folks sometimes when running VM's - especially as servers (nothing wrong in using a VM as a server) you will considerably improve I/O throughput if you use the native file system for the OS instead of using Virtual HDD's. For instance if you run Windows Guests on a...
  5. Share Outlook.com Calendar with Native iOS Calendar App

in Browsers and Email
    Share Outlook.com Calendar with Native iOS Calendar App: I'm trying to separate my personal (iCloud) and work (Outlook.com) calendars. Because I work varying shifts and have a lot of work requirements (meetings, lectures, etc.), my wife needs to view these when she is scheduling things. I found the share calendar option (which...
  6. Create exe files from bat files using native windows commands

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create exe files from bat files using native windows commands: Came across this hidden Windows gem I have never seen about converting bat to exe files. I know there are 3rd party apps but was unaware you could do it from Windows iExpress: Convert BAT-files into EXE-files [How-To] | Maintenance and System Tools | Windows Tools, Help...
  7. native weather app on lock screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    native weather app on lock screen: Not that I use lock screen much but was just curious. Has anyone seen the weather on it? I've never seen it work on any PC. Other features work ok, like tips, or calendar and mail. But weather has never ever shown up. Maybe there is a special trick to it other than the...