Windows 10: Windows 10 - Need help to stop games launching in 4k resolution by default

Discus and support Windows 10 - Need help to stop games launching in 4k resolution by default in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My first recorded incident of this is 12th June 2020, this has never been an issue before and nothing regarding hardware has changed. My HDTV is 1080p... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BrendanatorX, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Windows 10 - Need help to stop games launching in 4k resolution by default

My first recorded incident of this is 12th June 2020, this has never been an issue before and nothing regarding hardware has changed.

My HDTV is 1080p 60hz, 1440p 30hz and 4k 30hz capable.

My GPU is a Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB G1 Gaming.

My Desktop, all games, and everything I have ever touched have only ever been set to 1080p 60hz, this is intentional, I do not want to run more than 1080p and struggle with fps.

Furthermore, I usually set my games to Borderless Windowed.

On 13th May 2020 I was messing around with the Nvidia Control Panel to solve graphics issues in the game Anthem, this did include trying to get DSR working, which in theory should have caused a 4k resolution but didn't. After failing to get any benefit out of my changes, I reset all my graphics changes to default and saved. I have done this a few times since even as well as uninstalling and reinstalling nvidia control panel and nvidia drivers.

As far as I can tell, DSR is by default turned off, all my settings are at default and set to allow programs/apps/games decide graphics settings.

As far as I can see in Registries, any mention of resolutions are set to 1080p for displays and graphics drivers but when I launch games since around 11/12th june, they change their settings to be Fullscreen and to run at 4k resolution, which I then have to change back to 1080p. These are games which I have run at 1080p prior to this date even the day before, the week before, the month before, and all of a sudden are acting as though they're being run by a new PC/Device and having to auto-adjust settings.

I have also checked GeForce Experience, which detects my 'optimal settings' to be 1440p with medium settings, and admittedly it was set to auto-optimize detected games, but I have also since disabled that, and made it undo any GeForce Experience optimizations for games, and yet I am still running into this issue with games.

If this is something to do with windows or a registry problem I can fix, someone please let me know.

:)

BrendanatorX, Jul 3, 2020
  2. JoyConte Win User

4k Resolution on the new may update

So i tried installing the new may update for windows 10 and when i go to 4k options i cant set it to 4k it just says "windows cannot set it to this resolution" i roll back the update to the previous one that i had and it lets me set it to 4k again. i tried
    reinstalling drivers in the new update and everything but i cannot set it to 4k. also i need the new update in order to play some games from the microsoft store.

JoyConte, Jul 3, 2020
  3. Steam games won't launch on Windows 10?

Hi Oaasfari,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Which are all the Steam games you are unable to launch?
    • Do you get any error message/code when you try to launch the game?
    If the Steam games are not working in Windows 10 then, I would suggest you to contact the Games manufacturer for further assistance and check if the Game is compatible with Windows 10.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Reply with necessary information and we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jul 3, 2020
  4. Windows 10 - Need help to stop games launching in 4k resolution by default

Game not launching on Windows 10

Hi InvincibleHawk8,

There's a lot of possible reasons why you're unable to launch your game on Windows 10. To help you resolve this concern, I need to gather more information. Kindly answer the questions below:

• When did the issue start?
    • Are you experiencing this concern with all of your games?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the affected game?

In the meantime, I recommend that you perform the troubleshooting steps below:

Step 1: Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps using the link below. This can help remove problems with an app from Microsoft Store.

Click here

Step 2: Check for updates for apps and games from Windows Store. Kindly click the link below to proceed:

Check for updates for apps and games from Windows Store

Step 3: Delete Temporary files. This will help delete temporary files that have been stored on your computer.

1. Click Start and click Settings.
    2. Select System.
    3. Select Storage.
    4. Select This PC.
    5. Click Temporary files.
    6. Choose Temporary files.
    7. Click Remove files.

Step 4: Reset the game from the Settings menu.

1. Click Start and click Settings.
    2. Select System.
    3. Select Apps and features.
    4. Find the game and click Advanced options.
    5. Click Reset. You need to restart your computer to let the changes take effect.

Kindly update us with the results, so that we can assist you further.

Wilfred Mac, Jul 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - Need help to stop games launching in 4k resolution by default

1. Windows 10 - Need help to stop games launching in 4k resolution by default - Similar Threads - Need help stop

2. game in fullscreen resolution change to 4k

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game in fullscreen resolution change to 4k: Hi, I connect my laptop to an external monitor using HDMI cable. Both laptop and external monitor resolution is set to 1920x1080 with 120hz refresh rate on the external monitor. Currently I'm using the external monitor as the main display.The problem is whenever I opened some...
  3. game in fullscreen resolution change to 4k

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    game in fullscreen resolution change to 4k: Hi, I connect my laptop to an external monitor using HDMI cable. Both laptop and external monitor resolution is set to 1920x1080 with 120hz refresh rate on the external monitor. Currently I'm using the external monitor as the main display.The problem is whenever I opened some...
  4. 4k resolution on 1080 display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    4k resolution on 1080 display: I have a 1080p display but when i tried to change it to see what resolutions i have it showed i have 4k but when i put it its blurry but i don`t know why it showing 4k cause my display doesn`t support 4k i tried searching it online but nothing its not a problem that i should...
  5. I need a little help with launching a game

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need a little help with launching a game: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BrettRyder100 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/tpysb6/i_need_a_little_help_with_launching_a_game/
  6. 4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution: Hi, I have a 4K 2160 x 3840 monitor for my Windows 10 PC.If i use windows display scaling set at 100%, all the icons are tiny, but when i do a screen resolution test using various websites, the results come back as 2160 x 3840.I used websites such...
  7. 4k resolution

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    4k resolution: Hi there, I'm upgrading my computer with a new graphics card and monitor to accommodate 4k images and want to know if the daily colourful images that appear on Microsoft Edge and my lock screen that Microsoft put there are going to appear as 4k images? Thank you, Robert....
  8. Gaming and Resolution with a 4K monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gaming and Resolution with a 4K monitor.: I installed a new 4K monitor and Age of Empires went so small I could even read the writing or easily see the buttons. I went into steam and fairly quickly got directed to a post that told me to go to launcher.exe and right click and select compatibility and tick the overide...
  9. No 4K resolution after upgrade

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    No 4K resolution after upgrade: Hi all, I upgrade my Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro last night and lost my 3840x2160x30 setup, being reduced back to 1980x1200. *Mad I've since done a clean install and reinstalled the latest drivers for my Samsung U28D590D and My ATI Radeon HD 5770. Nothing i have done has...
  10. Mouse cursor with 4K-resolution?

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse cursor with 4K-resolution?: I am running 3840x2160 on my computer with 250% scaling. This generally looks ok, but the mouse cursor looks really bad. Are there some way to make it look better in very high resolution and scaling? 44673