Windows 10: Windows 10 needs DNS Client for file and printer sharing WHY!

Discus and support Windows 10 needs DNS Client for file and printer sharing WHY! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ok so I don't expect to get a reply from MS just posting because I'm mad about this.Lets get one thing clear you don't need DNS Client enabled for DNS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Legacy_, May 15, 2021.

1. Legacy_ Win User

Windows 10 needs DNS Client for file and printer sharing WHY!

Ok so I don't expect to get a reply from MS just posting because I'm mad about this.Lets get one thing clear you don't need DNS Client enabled for DNS to work and in win xp and 7 you could disable it and file and printer sharing would WORK! But no not win 10 even by \\192.168.255.53 it needs to be enable!You might be thinking whats the harm in having it enabled? I run bind DNS and every now and then I get “query failed broken trust chain” never had a problem with win xp or 7 because I disabled DNS Client so I think thats the reason.

:)

Legacy_, May 15, 2021
  2. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, May 15, 2021
  3. LuvMyPC Win User
    Windows 10 and inability to share USB-attached printer

I have a Windows 10 computer, Version 1803 that is sharing a HP LaserJet 1022 USB-connected printer. When I attempt to access the printer from another computer, the error is Windows cannot access Computer1, You do not have access to the computer.

I have turned on all sharing for all types of networks and turned on services Network Location Awareness, Network Connections, UPnP Device Host, DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, and SSDP Discovery. I have also turned on Windows Feature
    SMB 1.0.

Does anyone have any suggestions on next steps please?

Thanks!

LuvMyPC, May 15, 2021
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Can't share printer—getting error message

Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 needs DNS Client for file and printer sharing WHY! - Similar Threads - needs DNS Client

2. Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start: Hello,We are using Windows 10 V1809. "Application Publishing Service" and "Remote Desktop Services" cannot start. I checked Event Logs and show this logs that happens often."The DNS client service terminated with the following error. The specified module could not be found."I...
  3. Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start: Hello,We are using Windows 10 V1809. "Application Publishing Service" and "Remote Desktop Services" cannot start. I checked Event Logs and show this logs that happens often."The DNS client service terminated with the following error. The specified module could not be found."I...
  4. dns client site

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dns client site: When i go to a certain site my computer comes up with dns_probe_finished_nxdomain. the wierd thing is i shut off automatic restart of the dns client in the services via the registery and the site worked. It's just one site. should i leave dns client disabled because...
  5. dns client site

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dns client site: When i go to a certain site my computer comes up with dns_probe_finished_nxdomain. the wierd thing is i shut off automatic restart of the dns client in the services via the registery and the site worked. It's just one site. should i leave dns client disabled because...
  6. DNS Client error

in Windows 10 Customization
    DNS Client error: Been having trouble getting into calls recently. Checked event viewer and it says "Name resolution for the *** timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." Censored part changes between wpad and some other applications that are running at the time. Ran sfc...
  7. NO File or Printer Sharing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NO File or Printer Sharing in Windows 10: Recently, I purchased a new Windows 10 laptop, and my wife also has a Windows 10 laptop (see specs below.) However, after following EVERY known tutorial on file and printer sharing, Windows 10 refuses to cooperate. FYI... each laptop gives a different error message when...
  8. DNS Client

in Windows 10 Customization
    DNS Client: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client Date: 16-04-2020 15:47:58 Event ID: 8020 Task Category: 1028 Level: Warning Keywords: User: NETWORK SERVICE Computer: Hostname Description: The system failed...
  9. File & Printer Sharing with Windows 10 is broken...HELP needed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File & Printer Sharing with Windows 10 is broken...HELP needed: Please help as I'm losing the will to live. My scenario... In my business I have a network of 9 PC's on a Peer to Peer basis. They are not connected via a Server or use a Domain. With Windows 7, everything could be seen, shared and accessed with no problem whatsoever...
  10. Why enable file and printer sharing?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why enable file and printer sharing?: Why enable file and printer sharing ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/why-enable-file-and-printer-sharing/c186817e-7957-45d2-adab-aa9fa38ef923"