Windows 10: Windows 10 needs to add ZFS or btrfs support or add their features to ReFS and make ReFS...

Discus and support Windows 10 needs to add ZFS or btrfs support or add their features to ReFS and make ReFS... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Problem Statement: Storage Spaces' performance is horrific ReFS is available only on Windows 10 Enterprise/Pro for Workstations and above... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Judah_Richardson, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Windows 10 needs to add ZFS or btrfs support or add their features to ReFS and make ReFS...

Problem Statement:

• Storage Spaces' performance is horrific

• ReFS is available only on Windows 10 Enterprise/Pro for Workstations and above

• btrfs and ZFS have better performance

• btrfs and ZFS have more features

• btrfs and ZFS are available on Linux and BSD consumer desktop builds

• Many consumer users have large (double digit TB) storage requirements, especially in terms of backup (see r/Datahoarder, r/homelab, and r/HomeServer)

• *Windows users are currently very shortchanged when it comes to filesystems that can meet the above needs*

Mitigating factors for solutions:

• Linux (kernel) on Windows shows it's possible to implement *nix features in a Windows context

• The above is supported on the Windows 10 Pro SKU

Proposed solutions:

Solution Set 1

• Make ReFS available on all Windows 10 SKUs

• Fix Storage Spaces performance problems. ZFS and btrfs don't have them

• Add ZFS and btrfs features to Storage Spaces

Solution Set 2

• Add ZFS support to Windows 10

Solution Set 3

• Add btrfs support to Windows 10

There is a matching request in the Windows 10 subreddit.

:)

Judah_Richardson, Jun 8, 2019
  2. lx07 Win User

Why use ReFS?

Pretty pointless app really. Any recent version of Windows can read/write ReFS just fine - you just need Workstation (or Enterprise or Server or even PE) to format the volume after that functionality was removed from Pro. You can even just set the registry to pretend it is PE, format the volume and then set it back.

I don't use it as it doesn't support compression or deduplication so whether it is better than ZFS or Btrfs at auto-repair idk. Hard to test I suppose but presumably they did try.

lx07, Jun 8, 2019
  3. ReFS support for Windows 10 Pro Fall Creators update and forward

I cannot find the definite answer if ReFS will be supported on the Fall Creators update and future versions of Windows 10 Pro. I've seen a few cached pages of the items that are schedule to be deprecated and/or remove in the Fall CU and ReFS support was
    listed for Home/Pro but there is no mention of it on the current pages.

However, support has been removed from both File Explorer and FSUTIL since the Spring CU was release.

I believe it's been removed as there might still need to be features ported over from NTFS to support the newest One Drive; which is way ReFS support is not there for One Drive and I've heard there are memory leaks related to ReFS and Windows 10 Fall CU.

So, does anyone know if ReFS will come back to Windows 10 Pro?

awesmdiver, Jun 8, 2019
  4. 'Mike P Win User

Windows 10 needs to add ZFS or btrfs support or add their features to ReFS and make ReFS...

'Mike P, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 needs to add ZFS or btrfs support or add their features to ReFS and make ReFS...

1. Windows 10 needs to add ZFS or btrfs support or add their features to ReFS and make ReFS... - Similar Threads - needs add ZFS

2. Windows 11 is getting ReFS support

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 is getting ReFS support: Recent Windows 11 Insider builds include support for ReFS, the Resilient File System. The file system is currently only available in Windows server operating systems, but not in client systems. [ATTACH] Resilient File System is designed to "maximize data availability, scale...
  3. Ref For PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ref For PIN: What is my PIN Number . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ref-for-pin/8ee132d7-ba56-4ba7-8c7e-56133a6e9ff7
  4. Ref For PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ref For PIN: What is my PIN Number . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ref-for-pin/8ee132d7-ba56-4ba7-8c7e-56133a6e9ff7
  5. Ref For PIN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Windows Education and ReFS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Education and ReFS: I have a Windows 10 Education license. From what I heard, it contains the same set of features as Windows 10 Enterprise. Thefefore I would like to be sure about ReFS or RDMA support....
  7. Defragmentation of ReFS volume

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defragmentation of ReFS volume: Hello there everyone, I have created an ReFS volume on one of my 2.0TB hard drives, all is well, there is just a tiny bit of something that is getting me to worry. One: when I try to copy some files onto the drive the speed, occasionally, not all the time, drops to...
  8. ref-work

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    ref-work: ref-works program for Microsoft word will not run write-n-cite, the program is stating that Microsoft office is not installed. Office is installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ref-work/cc22941e-8c67-4623-9a89-4987209e691d"
  9. Incompatibility refs/Win10 and refs/Win2016

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Incompatibility refs/Win10 and refs/Win2016: Hi. Disks formated with refs under win10 Workstation couldn't be read by win2016. Over the more: refs-discs made with win2016 accessed by win10 couldn't be accessed by win2016 afterwards. Any idea? Peter...
  10. ReFS partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ReFS partition: Hi, I'm using my second drive for data and it's using the ReFS file system, but I ran into a problem - OneDrive wont work with it. Can I Strink / Split / Convert (NTFS) the drive, as i'm currently using 690GB on the drive so I don't think a backup would be possible?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reading zfs fs in win10

2. windows 10 and btrfs