Windows 10: Windows 10 needs to tell users which Windows SKU the license key they're attempting to use...

Discus and support Windows 10 needs to tell users which Windows SKU the license key they're attempting to use... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had a pretty bad situation happen over the weekend: I have a Dell PC that shipped with Windows 7 Home. In 2015, I updated it to Windows 10 Home using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Judah_Richardson, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Windows 10 needs to tell users which Windows SKU the license key they're attempting to use...

I had a pretty bad situation happen over the weekend: I have a Dell PC that shipped with Windows 7 Home. In 2015, I updated it to Windows 10 Home using the free Windows 7 to Windows 10 update process.

I recently acquired a secondhand PC with no hard drive or OS that had a Windows 7 Pro license sticker. I tried to apply that license key to my Windows 10 Home installation, hoping it would allow me to upgrade to 10 Pro.

Here's the problem: the product key was accepted and the dialogue said the upgrade could continue. I thought everything was fine so I let it complete. Now it's saying the PC was upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise, and per Microsoft phone support there's no way to revert to my previous license; I'll have to clean install.

This could have been avoided entirely if Windows 10 told me the key was an Enterprise one; if it had, I would not have proceeded with the SKU upgrade.

:)

Judah_Richardson, Dec 31, 2018

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 31, 2018
  3. P4-630 Win User
    DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Click to expand... Yeah I went to that site, why do I need to buy a key?
    I won't buy a key, stupid.

I'll revert back to windows 7 then.

When I still was on windows 7, about a year ago I added 4GB extra ram which is a total of 8GB now,
    is that causing the problem?

P4-630, Dec 31, 2018
  4. Windows 10 needs to tell users which Windows SKU the license key they're attempting to use...

windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Dec 31, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 needs to tell users which Windows SKU the license key they're attempting to use...

1. Windows 10 needs to tell users which Windows SKU the license key they're attempting to use... - Similar Threads - needs tell users

2. Is the windows 11 Pro SKU hav-00162 a transferable license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is the windows 11 Pro SKU hav-00162 a transferable license?: So I bought Windows 11 Pro SKU hav-00162 on Amazon and I'm interested if this is a FPP and transferable license?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-the-windows-11-pro-sku-hav-00162-a-transferable/55c8832b-aeb0-45b1-87c8-09f41270809b
  3. Used a product key which is a FPP but now the license says OEM in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Used a product key which is a FPP but now the license says OEM in Windows 10: Hello Everyone, I have a query regarding an activated Windows 10 Pro license key. Scenario: Earlier the PC had Windows 8.1 Pro OEM on and thereafter I clean installed Windows 10 Pro. This Windows 10 Pro is 'Win Pro FPP 10 P2 32/64-bit Eng Intl USB' which I had bought from an...
  4. Used a product key which is a FPP but now the license says OEM in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used a product key which is a FPP but now the license says OEM in Windows 10: Hello Everyone, I have a query regarding an activated Windows 10 Pro license key. Scenario: Earlier the PC had Windows 8.1 Pro OEM on and thereafter I clean installed Windows 10 Pro. This Windows 10 Pro is 'Win Pro FPP 10 P2 32/64-bit Eng Intl USB' which I had bought from an...
  5. Used a product key which is a FPP but now the license says OEM in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. MS Licenses SKU for Win10

MS Licenses SKU for Win10: Dear Sir,Please help me to suggest correct MS SKU if Customer wants to run Win10 Pro on VMware environment notVDI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-licenses-sku-for-win10/adea875c-1478-4bfe-93dd-762bec946027
  7. Which windows license do I need to use on a VM?

Which windows license do I need to use on a VM?: Hello everyone, I would like to ask which license do I need to use if: I have a VM with 8 cores. On this VM I run 4 Docker containers from 1 Docker image with Windows 10 VM. This is necessary to run tests on MS IE/Edge. Schema is: Big VM (8 cores) -> Docker container...
  8. How to tell which license I have?

How to tell which license I have?: Hi, I have a windows laptop with operating system partition wiped. How can I tell which OS should I install? Only clue I have is a sticker in the bottom of the computer saying "Pro Windows" Laptop is Dell Latitude E7450...
  9. Previously used license keys, which one to re-use for a VM

Previously used license keys, which one to re-use for a VM: I always been buying retail versions of Windows. Right now I have a few licenses from v7/8/8.1 upgraded to W10 and a single new retail license (USB thumbdrive) of Windows 10. The new retail version I use on my host pc. The 'upgraded' versions I have...
  10. Which Windows 10 home SKU to choose

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which Windows 10 home SKU to choose: Hi, i am in the process of installing Windows 10 over 8.1 Single Language. Which Home SKU should i choose to download via media creation tool? Thanks in advance. 10546