Windows 10: Windows 10 needs to update every day no matter how many times I reboot, but "undoes changes...

Discus and support Windows 10 needs to update every day no matter how many times I reboot, but "undoes changes... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I own a Dell XPS 13 9300 laptop. Recently, I've gotten stuck in some kind of loop where every time I check for updates, it claims "your device is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ALindenhurst, May 26, 2021.

1. Windows 10 needs to update every day no matter how many times I reboot, but "undoes changes...

I own a Dell XPS 13 9300 laptop. Recently, I've gotten stuck in some kind of loop where every time I check for updates, it claims "your device is missing important security and quality fixes" without ever telling me exactly what needs to be updated. So I reboot to update it, and seemingly nothing happens. But it still says that.At first, I assumed that I was just really behind on updates. So at one point, I tried rebooting it ten consecutive times in a row to just let it install as many updates as it needed to... to no avail. It still needs to be updated no matter how many times I reboot it. E

:)

ALindenhurst, May 26, 2021

2. Windows 10 update being enabled.

Late to the party again... *Laugh :laugh:
    That would be incorrect. To disable updates, the service must be disabled. Windows Defender has a nasty habit of undoing users configs like that so you need to disable it first, then disable the update service.

If you're looking for an easy way to do this, see here;
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10
    There are all sorts of great config changes that can be made safely with that utility and all with just a couple of clicks. After setting changes a reboot will b e required, but that's to be expected.

lexluthermiester, May 26, 2021
  3. Change default reboot time for Windows 10 update

What I'd like to do is change the default time that Windows sets the reboot to occur

As you correctly noted in your question the default reboot time is 3.30 AM.

The following instructions show you how to change the reboot time.

Source How to Schedule Restarts for Updates in Windows 10

DavidPostill, May 26, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows 10 needs to update every day no matter how many times I reboot, but "undoes changes...

Window Update Undoing changes made to your computer issue

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, pleas reply with the details requested below:

• Do you receive any error message after Windows update?
    • May I know after which update do you see this message?
    • When you say, “this message appear about half and hour" does the computer boot to the desktop?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

If the computer doesn’t boot to the Desktop, I would suggest you to refer the suggestions provided by DaveM121 replied on April 7, 2019 in the thread

'Undoing changes made to your computer' in Windows 10

If you are able to boot the computer to the Desktop, I would suggest you to run the

Windows Update Troubleshooter
    and see if that helps.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to reset Windows Update components. Kindly refer the article by Sumit on

How to:Reset Windows update components in Windows

You may also want to refer the steps mentioned in the article
    Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost. Also, the last step in the article
    talks about Clean installation, please do not perform a clean installation of Windows.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 26, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 needs to update every day no matter how many times I reboot, but "undoes changes...

1. Windows 10 needs to update every day no matter how many times I reboot, but "undoes changes... - Similar Threads - needs update every

2. Microsoft Store won't open no matter how many times I click.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store won't open no matter how many times I click.: Microsoft Store won't open no matter how many times I click. At first, the problem was only with downloading the applications as they are only stuck for hours at the acquiring license stage, so I tried resetting the app from the settings. After resetting, the application...
  3. Every time I reboot...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Every time I reboot...: Every single time I reboot, my laptop resets itself to the default Windows 10 settings and logs me out of OneDrive, I have to set up my Outlook accounts all over again, I have to change all of my default apps, etc.Help, I'm going crazy with this....
  4. Time Zone switches back no matter how many times I change it.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time Zone switches back no matter how many times I change it.: [ATTACH] Greetings! I'm having a bit of trouble setting the time zone for my computer. I've had it for almost a year now and it has never bothered me before, but it's starting to get a little tiring having to convert the time my computer's clock is showing into the actual...
  5. Every time I reboot windows 10 issue.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Every time I reboot windows 10 issue.: When I get windows updates or have to reboot my pc it looks like my profile is reset. What I mean by this is that I start outlook and it asks me to re-enter my password considering that the remember password is check in the outlook configuration. Also same issue with one...
  6. I want the 2004 update for hardware accelerated gpu scheduling but no matter how many times...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I want the 2004 update for hardware accelerated gpu scheduling but no matter how many times...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/dhruvbzw [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hgr2it/i_want_the_2004_update_for_hardware_accelerated/
  7. Win 10 will not upgrade to version 1903 no matter how many times updating and restarting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 will not upgrade to version 1903 no matter how many times updating and restarting: TL;DR Win 10 version 1803 will not upgrade to Win 10 version 1903 after many attempts and trying a few fixes. For many months, at midnight, my computer tells me it must restart to install updates. EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. If I wait until morning, it asks me in the morning...
  8. Windows update service start parameter changes every time I reboot

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update service start parameter changes every time I reboot: Trying to update Minecraft for my little brother. The windows update service was disabled, so Microsoft store downloads wouldn't work. I tried to enable and start the service with the "services" window but I don't have permission. I used registry editor to try and add his...
  9. Windows wont let me change my cursor no matter how many times I try

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows wont let me change my cursor no matter how many times I try: I feel so stupid because Windows straight up wont let me change my cursor. I make a new mouse scheme in mouse properties, browse, click precision select for my cursor and click apply and nothing happens. Nothing changes. Ive tried liek 20 times. It doesnt make any sense. Does...
  10. Windows 10 error “Couldn’t complete the updates. Undoing changes” every time I start my PC.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 error “Couldn’t complete the updates. Undoing changes” every time I start my PC.: Almost every single time I’ve tried to start my PC in the past 5 months or so, windows has tried to complete an update which hasn’t worked. It always loads the update like normal, before finally saying “couldn’t complete the updates, undoing changes” before starting up the PC...