Windows 10: Windows 10 network share access denied

Discus and support Windows 10 network share access denied in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Last week I began receiving either an "Access Denied" or "You do not have permission to open this file" error when I try to open or copy a file on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mike Trachtenberg, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Windows 10 network share access denied

Last week I began receiving either an "Access Denied" or "You do not have permission to open this file" error when I try to open or copy a file on a network share. In some cases I can open most files in a directory but receive an error for new ones created by our scanner.

The PC is Win10 Pro Build 17763 joined to a domain. It doesn't seem to be a permissions problem, as I can open the problematic files when I log in from any other machine. The Shared Folders troubleshooter just shrugged and I don't see anything of note with ICACLS.

I've reviewed and tried various recommendations on this subject and none work. Thanks.

:)

Mike Trachtenberg, Oct 14, 2019
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Oct 14, 2019
  3. Home Network and shared printer access problems

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are having issue with accessing the files and printer within the network and in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the error message you get, while accessing the file or the Printer using Windows 7 PC?
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform all the steps in all the PC that are connected in the network as suggested by Roohi Taj on January 8th, 2019
    in this

As an additional information please refer the below articles:

File sharing over a network in Windows 10

Share files in File Explorer

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 14, 2019
  4. DTG1 Win User

Windows 10 network share access denied

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

Thema:

Windows 10 network share access denied

1. Windows 10 network share access denied - Similar Threads - network share access

2. CANNOT access shared folder on Home Network - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CANNOT access shared folder on Home Network - Access Denied: Hi,Despite a few folders are identified as Shared on my network, none of the PCs can access them. That was working before Windows updates. Before, in a folder properties I could add "Everyone" in the security tab, now that option in missing in Windows 11.Is there a utility...
  3. CANNOT access shared folder on Home Network - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CANNOT access shared folder on Home Network - Access Denied: Hi,Despite a few folders are identified as Shared on my network, none of the PCs can access them. That was working before Windows updates. Before, in a folder properties I could add "Everyone" in the security tab, now that option in missing in Windows 11.Is there a utility...
  4. Accessing shares on local network. Win11 able to see shares on Win10 but denied access to them.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing shares on local network. Win11 able to see shares on Win10 but denied access to them.: Two PCs on a local network one Win10 the other Win11 new PC.I can access the shared empty DATA drive on the Win11 PC and copy files to it. However from the Win11 PC the shares on the Win10 PC are visible, but, with one exception the "Users" share on the Win10 system drive...
  5. Accessing shares on local network. Win11 able to see shares on Win10 but denied access to them.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing shares on local network. Win11 able to see shares on Win10 but denied access to them.: Two PCs on a local network one Win10 the other Win11 new PC.I can access the shared empty DATA drive on the Win11 PC and copy files to it. However from the Win11 PC the shares on the Win10 PC are visible, but, with one exception the "Users" share on the Win10 system drive...
  6. Allow network sharing - but selectively deny internet access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Allow network sharing - but selectively deny internet access: * Allow home network sharing - but selectively deny internet access to secondary computers Searching for answers, I found threads for the inverse situation (allow guest internet access but block access to host resources) but not my question....
  7. Windows 10 share access denied

Windows 10 share access denied: windows 10 1904 in workgroup access denied to admin$ Have turned off WFW not service but actual setting in Advanced Firewall Have ensured Sharing is set to Private and available Have started service remote registry What else shall i look at so i can connect from...
  8. Network access denied

Network access denied: I have a small network only two computers. I can see and access files on pc2 from pc1. but can not access files on pc1 from pc2. I got always the message you have to request access permission. I use on both pc's the microsoft password....
  9. Windows 10 hotspot Denied access to network

Windows 10 hotspot Denied access to network: Dear MS, I have very big unsolved issue which I have searched a lot for it, I work in a company the provide Internet through Ethernet cable, I will share it again through Hotspot via Netsh wlan hosted network,It works fine , the problem is when my phone or any other...
  10. "Access Denied" message on trying to access network shared folders

"Access Denied" message on trying to access network shared folders: Hello Everyone, Have a situation, would appreciate your valuable support and answer on this. I have a small office environment with a Windows Server 2012 Standard edition in place along with 6 Windows PCs connected to a basic network system, wherein which non of the...