Windows 10: Windows 10 Networking - 1 PC with Discovery Issues

Discus and support Windows 10 Networking - 1 PC with Discovery Issues in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings! My network has 4 PC's. I had just built two new PC's and getting ready to do file transfers between the old PC's to the new PC's but ever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by David de Bree, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Networking - 1 PC with Discovery Issues

Greetings!

My network has 4 PC's. I had just built two new PC's and getting ready to do file transfers between the old PC's to the new PC's but ever since the removal of HomeGroups I haven't bothered to setup sharing since.

But now that I have, I'm running into problems.

First things first: The settings on all 4 PC's for network sharing are identical

New PC's are A and B, the old PC's are C and D.

PC A: Can see all 4

PC B: Can see PC's A and C but not itself or D (Which ironically are the same user's old and new PC)

PC C: Can see PC's A, B, and C but not D

PC D: Can see PC's A, B, and C also but not itself.

So the question remains, how do I manage to get all 4 to see all 4. I could understand if a PC can't see itself but it should see the others.

- All 4 are connected via Ethernet not WiFi

- Private Network is in use

- Network Discovery is On

- File and Printer sharing is also On

- Function Discovery Provider Host is Running and set to Automatic

- Function Discovery Resource Publication is also Running and set to Automatic

I even found another trick someone posted to uncheck the box for Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices and disable/enable the network protocol but that didn't work.

So what next?

:)

David de Bree, Aug 10, 2019

2. Cannot keep Network Discovery Enabled.

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I would suggest that you change the settings in the Firewall to allow Network discovery so that the Firewall stays On while allowing the Network discovery to be enabled.

Follow the steps.

a . Open Control panel.

b. Small icons from the drop down.

c. Click on Windows Firewall.

d. Click on Allow programs or feature through Firewall.

e. Scroll the list and check Network Discovery.

If you need additional assistance then let us know.

Ruth Buruga, Aug 10, 2019
  3. updates messed up my network discovery and now my other network computers and hp printer not discovered

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you and We apologies for delay in responding.

This issue might occur due to incorrect settings. I would suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

For each of the machines experiencing this behavior, will you please perform the following:

Step 1: Ensure Network Discovery is enabled.

• Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings
    • For each Network Category (Public, Private, Domain) you wish to have the feature enabled, click the arrow to the right of the category to expand it, and select “Turn on network discovery” & check “Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices”
    Step 2: Ensure that Network Discovery is allowed inbound in the Windows Firewall (in addition to any other firewall in use).

• [Windows Key + R] > Firewall.cpl
    • Click “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” in the left pane.
    • In the Allowed apps and features scroll box, find “Network Discovery”.
    • Make sure it is checked for all of the Network categories that you have enabled.
    Step 3: Ensure the necessary services are started.

• [Windows Key + R] > Services.msc
    • Base Filtering Engine(BFE)
    • Computer Browser(Browser)
    • DHCP Client(DHCP)
    • DNS Client(DNSCache)
    • Network Connection (NetMan)
    • Network Location Awareness(NLASvc)
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)(RPCSS)
    • Server(LANManServer)
    • SSDP Discovery (SSDPSrv)
    • TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (LMHosts)
    • Workstation(LANManWorkstation)

Step 4: I would suggest you to run Home Group troubleshooter and see if that helps.
    • Click Start and type troubleshooting in the search box.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Run HomeGroup troubleshooter.
    Let us know the update after you try the above steps.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Aug 10, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Networking - 1 PC with Discovery Issues

updates messed up my network discovery and now my other network computers and hp printer not discovered

Thishis is helpful but not honestly the issue with Windows 10.

The problem is for Windows 10 to see ANY DEVICE or Network Device or Printer or USB drive is REBOOT!

But only after your suggestions. Example below of a posted thread I put on Facebook:

Let me get this straight please:

I have a Windows 95 and XP computer behind me and they see this computer on the network fine, but I have to reboot Windows 10 to see them?

Which OS sucks.........Windows 10 seems to be worse then Windows 95!!!!!!

You have to ask why do I need to Reboot Windows 10 at the drop of a hat to get anything done?

Windows 95 is better then Windows 10 as I did not have to REBOOT the Windows 95 Computer to see Windows 10!

My Gawd even a DOS machine is not this crappy! It sees the Windows 10 computer without a REBOOT!

Windows 10 is a clear step backwards in being backwards compatibility and function.

How did this product of Windows 10 ever make it out of the shop and onto our desktops?

RichardGilbertson, Aug 10, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Networking - 1 PC with Discovery Issues

1. Windows 10 Networking - 1 PC with Discovery Issues - Similar Threads - Networking Discovery Issues

2. Network discovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network discovery: I am using Windows 10. I have set up a disk drive on the Wi-Fi router, but I cannot see it on Windows file explorer under Network. Even though I turn on network discovery, I still cannot see my network devices. Please help! Thank you so much.b...
  3. Network Discovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Discovery: I have a server running windows server 2008 r2 and the network discovery is on. On why windows 10 pc I don't see it. I can see my windows 10 machine on the server-side but not the other way. Any solutions, or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. submitted by...
  4. Network Discovery Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Discovery Issues: Hello. I have 3 windows 10 computers on my local network and for the life of me i cant get them to see each other on the network so i can share files. i have changed function host to automatic delayed start and smdk 1.0 is disabled on all computers. what else can i do??...
  5. network discovery

network discovery: I am trying to add a printer connected to another PC, both win10Pro although I can see the other pc when I try to connect the printer get a message saying contact network admin for permissions. Pc #2 has been shared, same with printer, files and sharing activated, I read...
  6. Network discovery does not stay on - Windows 10 PC

Network discovery does not stay on - Windows 10 PC: I have 2 windows 10 PCs - one is a Brix connected to the internet via a Fios router by ethernet. It has a USB printer attached to it. The other is a HP connected to the router over WiFi. Both are on a private network. Both can access the internet. I am trying to get the HP...
  7. Network Discovery Issues

Network Discovery Issues: My computer has been having issues maintaining an internet connection when I use my phone as a hotspot with a cable or as wifi. I tried a few things that others found helpful and have made the issue worse. Control Panel> Network and Internet> Network and sharing Center...
  8. Network Discovery.

Network Discovery.: Network Discovery. I added a USB memory stick to my router (as suggested by Computer Active) I tried to access it from my laptop by trying \\192.168.1.1 (My router default gateway) as suggested in the article. It came back with Network Discovery must be switched on - - - - -...
  9. Windows 10 Network Discovery Issues

Windows 10 Network Discovery Issues: Hi All I have two computers connected through a router. Before the Windows update that removed the HOMEGROUP, both were connected to the homegroup and I could share files easily between them without any problems. After the update however, the computers are having trouble...
  10. Windows 10 Latest Build Network Discovery issues.

Windows 10 Latest Build Network Discovery issues.: I updated my gaming computer to the latest build of windows 10.. don't quite remember what the number of it was, it was about a week ago I did this. I was hoping MS would sort out the issue in a hotfix or a patch or something. It's been over a week now. The problem still...