Windows 10: Windows 10 networking/file sharing problems

Discus and support Windows 10 networking/file sharing problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently upgraded a couple of computers on my network that were running Windows 7 to Windows 10. I also had another computer running Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cgsfromkc, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Cgsfromkc Win User

Windows 10 networking/file sharing problems

I recently upgraded a couple of computers on my network that were running Windows 7 to Windows 10. I also had another computer running Windows 7 replaced with a new computer running Windows 10. I have 5 computers total on my home wired network. One computer runs Windows 10 pro and the others run Windows 10 home. On the main desktop, I have a shared hard drive. I have some computers that can see all of the other computers on the network and others that can see a variation of the computers. When I hover over the network icon next to the time and date, two computers show "Network", two computers show "Network 2", and one computer shows "Network 3". When using Windows 7, all computers showed the same "Network". My security software shows that there are a total of 5 wired networks. All computers have the same IP addresses, (for example: 100.1.2.x, where x is the port on the network switch) and the same subnet mask. All computers are on the same workgroup.

The problem that I am having is the fact that some computers can't see the others and when I try to do a file transfer to my shared hard drive it is painfully slow. What used to take less than a minute on Windows 7, now takes hours. It's faster to put the file on a thumb drive and walk across the house to install it on the computer that I want the file on.

Steps that I have taken to try to resolve issues:

Turned off all of the computers, modem, router and network switch. Restarted modem, router and network switch in various orders, prior to turning on computers.

On the Main desktop (shared hard drive) I did a registry edit to make it the master browser computer.

I made a "guest" account on the Main desktop so that all of the other computers could log in to that account.

All computers have had the advanced sharing settings turned on and allowed.

All of the Windows services on all of the computers have had Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, DNS Client, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host set to Automatic.

I have gone through all of the topics listed at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-fix-network-connection-issues

Can anyone give me some other ideas as to what I need to do next??? I do not know if the fact that the computers show that they are on different networks is causing the problem. Is there a way to get all of the computers showing that they are on the same network?

This is so frustrating that I am ready to roll back the computers that were upgraded from Windows 7 and purchase old Windows 7 license keys for the new computers that came with Win 10 loaded on them.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Cgsfromkc, Apr 18, 2019

2. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Apr 18, 2019
  3. sml156 Win User
    Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10

Hi Brink great tutorial as usual.

I could not help but notice in step 1 you say to enable " Function Discovery Resource Publication "

In most of the posts I have read on Ten Forums they also suggest to enable " Function Discovery Provider Host "

Are you suggesting that Function Discovery Provider Host is not necessary.

Windows 10 networking/file sharing problems [​IMG]

sml156, Apr 18, 2019
  4. robal Win User

Windows 7 File Sharing between computers, PROBLEMS!!

Don't worry about homegroup. It's just an additional layer (of 'convienience') above 'old' classic Windows Shares mechanism.
    If your transfers are terrible with this setup, they will most probably be as terrible with any other approach.

At first, focus on wired ethernet. Copying a file between HTPC and PC will show you transfer rate. Also... If you go to "task manager", you'll see network speed (network tab).
    Focus on wired ethernet for now... what speeds are you getting ?

Cheers,

robal, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 networking/file sharing problems - Similar Threads - networking file sharing

2. File sharing on a Windows 10 network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing on a Windows 10 network: I have no problem accessing my notebook files from my desktop. but can't access my desktop files from my notebook. Any files on my desktop for which I select Network sharing, appear on my notebook Network display, but when I click on them I get the message: : "Windows cannot...
  3. Windows 10 Network File Sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Network File Sharing: Is there any lightweight alternative for network file sharing? Current Windows 10 file sharing so unreliable and breaks so easily that i'm frankly sick of it. It seems every feature update it breaks in some way or another with some computers not being visible and/or...
  4. Windows network sharing problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows network sharing problems: I am running 5 computers (2 of which are laptops) are having serious problems connecting and seeing each other The names of the computers are: ENDERPC, ENDERLAPTOP, MASTER, TATA, KOTKA (laptop) ENDERPC can see everyone but can only access ENDERLAPTOP ENDERLAPTOP can see...
  5. File sharing windows 10 network

File sharing windows 10 network: Hi all, I am running Win 10 home 64 bit on 2 PC's networked via Wi-Fi. I have a number of folders set to share on PC1. However, I can only see the shared folders if I type the network name in the search box. I used to be able to see them in File Explorer without...
  6. Networking & File Sharing problems

Networking & File Sharing problems: I've had numerous computers over the years and never have been able to get networking/file sharing to work consistently. It works one day, then not the next. One computer sees the other but the other can't see it one day, then the next day, that computer sees the other but...
  7. Problems sharing files over network

Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  8. Problems sharing files over network

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  9. Network file sharing problems

Network file sharing problems: I’m having perplexing difficulty getting two Windows 10 desktop computers to share files over my network. The setup of the two computers (names OFFICE-PC and TVROOM) is entirely symmetric (same network and sharing options, same Workgroup, same HomeGroup),yet TVROOM can access...
  10. Network Sharing File Access Problem

Network Sharing File Access Problem: I've been reviewing the simple folder sharing setup on my three Windows 10 PCs. I'm trying to share folders between three computers on the same network by right clicking the folder and giving access to Everyone without using a Home Group. All computers have Windows 10 Pro (PC...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. problems with file sharing on windows 10