Windows 10: Windows 10 Networking fix to see other Windows 10 computers

Discus and support Windows 10 Networking fix to see other Windows 10 computers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; THE PROBLEM: On a new month-old computer with Win10home pre-installed [ Windows 10 Home, Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.71) ], as well as on 9 other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DrChuckles, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Networking fix to see other Windows 10 computers

THE PROBLEM:

On a new month-old computer with Win10home pre-installed [ Windows 10 Home, Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.71) ], as well as on 9 other machines on the network. (all except for mine are running Win10home, and all were upgraded from Win7 to Win10home using the free Microsoft update method)

Opening File Explorer and clicking on the Network link in the Navigation Pane will show less than half of the computers that are on the network, both in the Navigation Pane under "Network" and in the Content Area under "Computer". The other computers APPEAR to be gone/missing/unavailable.

However, if you click in the Location Bar and MANUALLY type in one of the missing computer names (for example, "\\CHUCK-PC"), then it will now display the shared items in the Content Area, and the newly connected computer name will show over in the Navigation Pane under network. But, when you click the Network link to display the computers again... you do NOT see that newly discovered computer listed in the Content Area... EVEN THOUGH it is still showing over on the left in the Navigation Pane!!!

An additional observation is that if you close the File Explorer, and then re-open it, the manually typed in computer name is now gone from the left in the Navigation Pane... you have to manually type it in again to make it appear.

(note 1: all computers are on the same Homegroup, all are Private Network, all are set to discover and share everything.)
    (note 2: attached a Win7ultimate laptop to the system with same Homegroup and it could see and be seen by every single computer on the Network.)
    (note 3: the computers which seem to be invisible ARE showing under the Homegroup over in the Navigation Pane, and their Music/Pictures/Videos folders are visible (but not any other shared folders).)

THE SOLUTION:

After much trial and error, I finally found a method of trial and success. I tried all solutions offered on various other threads, to no avail. So I tried a few out-of-the box options and found one that seems to be working!!!

We have 10 computers in our office, 8 running Win10 and 2 running Win7, on the same Homegroup. All of the Win7 computers could see ALL of the other computers on the network, no problem. But ALL of the Win10 computers could not see all of the other Win10 computers. How to fix this?

The default in Win10 is to have NETBIOS turned off (or set to auto, which is basically off depending on your router). The trick appears to be turning that NETBIOS setting on. Here are the steps of what I did, on my network, to turn on NETBIOS to get Win10 machines to be able to see each other on the NETWORK tab in File Explorer:

1- Click the Start Menu or Cortana search and type "network." (Or Click on Settings -> Network&Internet)
    2- Select Network and Sharing Center when it appears.
    3- Click on Change Adapter Settings in the left pane.
    4- Right-click on your Ethernet/Wireless adapter and select Properties.
    5- Select the TCP/IP v4 protocol and click Properties.
    6- Click the Advanced button.
    7- Click the WINS tab and check the box Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    8- Click OK.
    9- Click OK.
    10- Click Close.

I did the above steps on EVERY one of the Win10 computers and then powered it off. After all computers were changed and powered down, I rebooted the main computer that the Homegroup was originally set up on first. Then I rebooted each other computers and voila... I can now see each and every Win10 computer from any other computer.

Hope this helps some of you!

:)

DrChuckles, Feb 8, 2016
  2. barrygb54 Win User

Windows 10 PC - lost ability to see other computers on network

I am now able to map drives, the problem is when clicking on the network icon in File Manager, I am unable to see the "COMPUTER" field. You sent me a !ink to servers, this is just a regulsr Windows 10 box that was upgraded from 7 Home Premium. The problem
    with HOMEGROUP continues to exist, 2 Windows 10 machines are joined to the homegroup, when I attempt to join with this PC, it errors after putting in the correct password for the homegroup, and the homegroup troubleshooter crashes. I ran the scannow and it
    found no issues.

barrygb54, Feb 8, 2016
  3. barrygb54 Win User
    Windows 10 PC - lost ability to see other computers on network

For no apparent reason, my PC, lost the capability to see the other PC's under the network tab. My other PC's can browse to this no problem, and until today, this one was just fine. Originally I saw at least THIS PC under computers, but the Computers tab
    no longer appears under the network folder. I suspect that this may have some relationship to Home groups. This was originally joined to the same home group as the others, now, when I click on join a home group and put in the password (the other PC's are successfully
    joined to the home group and I can view the password from them, same password my machines have had for years), the problem machine appears to go out and just get stupid. The home group troubleshooter crashes. All shares are set up and network discovery and
    permissions are fine. I'm wondering what good the home group feature is doing me, with the advanced sharing set up, all my media devices are able to see this problematic PC, as well as the other machines on the network. I also wonder if there's some **** cached
    in a flat file somewhere that has this confused. The only issue this is currently causing is an inability to browse my other networked PC's, which is a nuisance. Finally, when I attempt to map a drive to \\IP\share , I get a permissions error, this should
    not be the case. Same with \\netbios name\share.

I'm looking for a way to resolve this, hoping to not have to remove the other PC's from the home group which I'm not certain would fix THIS PC.

barrygb54, Feb 8, 2016
Thema:

Windows 10 Networking fix to see other Windows 10 computers

1. Windows 10 Networking fix to see other Windows 10 computers - Similar Threads - Networking fix computers

2. Getting Windows 10 Networked computers to see each other

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting Windows 10 Networked computers to see each other: I have a Flight Simulator cockpit which is run by 3 Windows 10 Computers and 1 Windows 7 computer networked together. One day I start my computers and they all can see each other on the network, the next time I restart them only the Windows 7 can be seen by other computers. I...
  3. Getting Windows 10 Networked computers to see each other

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting Windows 10 Networked computers to see each other: I have a Flight Simulator cockpit which is run by 3 Windows 10 Computers and 1 Windows 7 computer networked together. One day I start my computers and they all can see each other on the network, the next time I restart them only the Windows 7 can be seen by other computers. I...
  4. Getting Windows 10 Networked computers to see each other

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. windows 10 computers not seeing each other on home network

windows 10 computers not seeing each other on home network: I have two computers on home windows 10 network both up to date and on the same side of the router. Both are OEM Home versions of Windows 10. I tried all the different suggested tweeks and workarounds suggested in forums that I found. I occasionally get to see the other...
  6. Windows 10 Not Seeing Other Computers on Private Network

Windows 10 Not Seeing Other Computers on Private Network: I have a friend who has a laptop and a PC, both running Win10. I recently upgraded them to build 2004. Neither can see the other on the private network anymore. Network Discovery is turn on for both for private networks. I compared a lot of the network settings against my...
  7. Windows 10 does not see other network computers

Windows 10 does not see other network computers: There are 5 computers on this network, 4 running Windows 10 and 1 running Windows 7. The primary Windows 10 computer does not see anything on the network. All the other computers see all the network devices, including this primary computer. All settings in Network and...
  8. Windows 10 1903 not seeing other computers network locations?

Windows 10 1903 not seeing other computers network locations?: Hi, I recently fresh installed win 10 1903 to a self build older machine. Its had windows 10 on before and everything worked fine, It wasn't used for several months as I needed to replace the HDD to ssd., and was having issues with the machine not seeing all the other...
  9. Windows 10 can’t see other computers on network

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 can’t see other computers on network: [ATTACH] The Windows File Explorer has been included and shipped with every generation of the Windows Operating System and has gone through a lot of changes. The File Explorer that comes in with Windows 10 is not just to browse the [...] This post Windows 10 can’t see other...
  10. windows 10 can not see other computers and shares on network

windows 10 can not see other computers and shares on network: Hello, i have a problem with my computer. I have Asus RT-AC87U AC2400 Gigabit Wireless router. I have a seagate free agent drive connected to router and shared it with samba/cifs protocol. My computer is connected to router trought cable over one switch. Problem is that i...