Windows 10: Windows 10 never installs ...

Discus and support Windows 10 never installs ... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was notified that windows 10 is now available for my PC for free update. I clicked on the icon and it downloaded the files and popped up a window to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mjz, May 3, 2016.

1. MJZ
    mjz Win User

Windows 10 never installs ...

I was notified that windows 10 is now available for my PC for free update.
    I clicked on the icon and it downloaded the files and popped up a window to restart my computer to begin the install process.

I restarted my computer and it loaded my current windows 7 and popped up the same window (to restart in order to install windows `10). I did this several times and the same thing happens.

I ran windows update "fix it" tool in anticipation and that did not resolve the problem.

Anyone else experience this? My Windows 7 is working fine - just can't install windows 10.

thanks

:)

2. windows 10 never starts to install

Hi,

I suggest you to place the computer in clean boot, disable Antivirus and then upgrade using an ISO.

Try the following steps:

Step 1: How to perform a clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: The steps apply for Windows 10 as well.

Step 2: Disable antivirus software:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows/disable-antivirus-software#1TC=windows-7

Note 1: Make sure to enable Antivirus after the troubleshooting.

Note 2: After the troubleshooting is done make sure to refer the section
    " How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the Clean boot article.

Now, you may try to upgrade using "Installing
    Windows 10 using the media creation tool"

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Waseemulla S, May 3, 2016
  3. mcowan1 Win User
    windows 10 never starts to install

I received the message that windows ten is ready for my system.

When I start the upgrade it says that it is preparing files then it stops, After 1 hour I rebooted the computer, it said it was installing update 1 of 1 then shut down.

Now it will not install windows 10.

Any ideas?

mcowan1, May 3, 2016
  4. Windows 10 never installs ...

Hi,

Look here & upgrade.

Lottiemansion, May 3, 2016
  5. MJZ
    mjz Win User
    I tried the link above and it yields the same result.

I can download the update - that works, but when it completes it asks me to restart the computer to continue the install process. After I restart- all that happens is my computer reboots and pops up the same window asking that I restart to begin the install process. I did this several times - no change.

After giving up on trying to install windows 10 - I would go and "check for updates" for my current windows 7 and it will no longer check for windows 7 - it wants to restart my computer for windows 10 install.

It's as if my current install is frozen in time. It is in a halfway point of installing windows 10, but never does it.

I even re-loaded an image of my C drive I made prior to starting the windows 10 odyssey - but the result is the same.

Something is corrupted in the windows update process. At this point I'm stuck.

Update:
    I created a windows 10 USB media. I booted from this device and it reported that I was already in the middle of an install and that the USB would abort unless I wanted to do a clean install and not upgrade from windows 7. This is a problem because I'll lose my programs and data files with a clean install and I would need a product key. This is not an option. So I remain stuck. Windows thinks it's in the middle of an install and all I have to do is reboot to get the install started and all rebooting does is ask that I restart. Very strange.

6. simrick Win User
    Hi mjz and welcome to Tenforums.
    This is indeed strange. Something is preventing the upgrade.
    First of all, please use this to grab your W7 keycode:
    Showkey Plus
    Next, you said you have an image, right?
    Some things to do to prepare for an upgrade are:

• If you have moved your user file pointers to another drive, move them back.
    • Uninstall any 3rd-party anti-virus, and all disk/hardware monitoring tools (i.e. Speccy),
    • Did you run sfc /scannow before trying the upgrade? (not sure what will happen if you run it now, but you could try it and see.)
    • Disconnect everything except OS drive, mouse, keyboard and monitor.

Try a reboot and see if that helps the upgrade to proceed.

simrick, May 4, 2016
  7. TrustMe Win User
    TrustMe, May 4, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Yes, but I would first try an in-place upgrade before moving to a clean install. The OP has indicated that he prefers not to clean install.

simrick, May 4, 2016
  9. dustymars Win User
    After upgrading my old eMachine from Win 7 to 10 Home Premium all went well on my PC but my wife's exact same PC all goes well until it gets to installing the files and hangs at 10%. Yes, both PCs have a graphic chip that is not supposed to be supported, but I installed the correct driver updates on both. My PC upgraded okay, but now the other hags at 10% and will not go any further. I can just kick it off and it reboots to Win-7 and runs like nothing has been done. Maybe when M$ ever get their act together all the people having problem with their flimsy upgrade will have either died, changed to MAC or just given up on PCs.

I have upgraded an old eMAchine, a newer Dell laptop without much trouble, but this one just sites at 10% and that is all folks!!!! Anyone have suggestions?

dustymars, May 4, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    Please start a new thread and someone will help you with your issue.

simrick, May 4, 2016
  11. MJZ
    mjz Win User
    I'm close to giving up ... (frustration speaking ...). My repeated attempts to upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 has so far failed. I do have windows 10 downloaded to a USB stick, but that is only good for a clean install and would require a new license key. As windows 7 is working fine, buying windows 10 is not worth it - and I would lose all of my programs and data.

My issue, though - is Windows 7 updates is frozen. Everytime I click on windows update it immediately reports windows 10 install ready - please restart computer. No more windows 7 apparently. I don't know if this is by design (the cynic in me thinks so) or a bug.

I wonder if there is a way to reset windows update to a state where it never knew I clicked on the damn windows 10 upgrade icon?

I do have a win10 tablet that works great which is why I decided to give windows10 on my home theater PC (small Acer, 4gb with nvidia graphics) the upgrade. Big mistake apparently.

Any help appreciated - either getting windows 10 to actually start the install or to get windows update restored to checking for windows 7.

Thanks all!

12. simrick Win User
    No, that is not true. A validly activated W7 install is eligible for an upgrade to W10, and it doesn't matter if you upgrade-install or clean-install. The same key will be used to activate the W10 OS. You can grab your W7 key using this program:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

FYI: Windows 10 can now be clean installed and activated with a W7 key.

Did you try my suggestions yet in post #4?

simrick, May 4, 2016
  13. MJZ
    mjz Win User

Hi Simrick - thanks for asking.

I tried all you listed here including sfc/scannow. The scan came back normal, no issues.
    I disconnected the external hard drives. The only anti-virus code I use is from microsoft (msessentials).

I should indicate that the very first time I ran the windows 10 upgrade it did try to install and got to 87% where it hung for over 24 hours. I restarted the computer and that triggered my issues. I should have mentioned this earlier, but didn't think of it since I restored my windows system from a saved image made a day or two earlier.

I do have rainmeter running (monitors my disks) - but can't imagine that effecting install.

14. simrick Win User
    If sfc returned clean, then MS Security Essentials must be removed, as well as Rainmeter. (Even Speccy causes problems with W10 upgrades).

So you restored from an image after the failed upgrade? Can you do it again? I mean, if removing MSSE and Rainmeter don't do it, can we go back to the image, and then remove the software in question, follow my steps in #4, and then try an in-place upgrade?

simrick, May 4, 2016
  15. MJZ
    mjz Win User
    I can try it again (per your suggestions) ... but just to be clear in my mind - what is windows update doing that it expects to install windows 10 on reboot, but doesn't? Is there not a way to "reset" window update so that it is not expecting to update to windows 10? I mean windows 10 did try to update once from scracth and MS essentials and rainmeter were running.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 never installs ... - Similar Threads - never installs

2. Recently built my pc downloaded windows 11 but it never installed my network adapter for my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently built my pc downloaded windows 11 but it never installed my network adapter for my...: Pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recently-built-my-pc-downloaded-windows-11-but-it/e504facd-e881-4b3a-bcfa-d5e227450fba
  3. Recently built my pc downloaded windows 11 but it never installed my network adapter for my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recently built my pc downloaded windows 11 but it never installed my network adapter for my...: Pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recently-built-my-pc-downloaded-windows-11-but-it/e504facd-e881-4b3a-bcfa-d5e227450fba
  4. KB5034765 Restart Pending But Never Installs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5034765 Restart Pending But Never Installs: I see there a quite a few post related to KB5034765, but I am confused as to what to do, or which one of the posts are should try. Some of them refer to an error code. How do I see if I am getting one of these codes ? I have not seen one. This update always show "Restart...
  5. KB5034765 Restart Pending But Never Installs

KB5034765 Restart Pending But Never Installs: I see there a quite a few post related to KB5034765, but I am confused as to what to do, or which one of the posts are should try. Some of them refer to an error code. How do I see if I am getting one of these codes ? I have not seen one. This update always show "Restart...
  6. Can't activate Windows after replacing a hard drive and re-installing - Never hear back...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate Windows after replacing a hard drive and re-installing - Never hear back...: I've reinstalled Windows 11 on my PC after replacing a failed HDD and now I can't activate Windows. I skipped adding a product key during installation as instructed on the MS website due to having a digital licence and once I was able to boot into Windows it wouldn't let me...
  7. Can't activate Windows after replacing a hard drive and re-installing - Never hear back...

Can't activate Windows after replacing a hard drive and re-installing - Never hear back...: I've reinstalled Windows 11 on my PC after replacing a failed HDD and now I can't activate Windows. I skipped adding a product key during installation as instructed on the MS website due to having a digital licence and once I was able to boot into Windows it wouldn't let me...
  8. i dont have any of my installed apps after installing windows 11.I was NEVER EVEN PROMPTED...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i dont have any of my installed apps after installing windows 11.I was NEVER EVEN PROMPTED...: so like many others, i was strongarmed and coerced into installing windows 11. i did it thru settings in the windows update menu. you people make it to where people have no choice which version of windows to run because you discontinue support for versions, yet I PAID FOR...
  9. i dont have any of my installed apps after installing windows 11.I was NEVER EVEN PROMPTED...

i dont have any of my installed apps after installing windows 11.I was NEVER EVEN PROMPTED...: so like many others, i was strongarmed and coerced into installing windows 11. i did it thru settings in the windows update menu. you people make it to where people have no choice which version of windows to run because you discontinue support for versions, yet I PAID FOR...
  10. Windows 11 never installed WiFi drivers, will not install when running Intel executable.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 never installed WiFi drivers, will not install when running Intel executable.: I recently reset my OS and now the WiFi driver is missing. The WiFi option does not come when trying to connect to the internet either.I have done a network reset via settings, tried to install the driver multiple times WiFi-23.20.0-Driver64-Win10-Win11, restarting between...