Windows 10: Windows 10 never remembers default apps

Discus and support Windows 10 never remembers default apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have a very frustrating problem with the default apps in Win10 Basically windows doesn't care what I tell it to use as default. As an exmaple,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CharlesBourin, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Windows 10 never remembers default apps

Hi,

I have a very frustrating problem with the default apps in Win10

Basically windows doesn't care what I tell it to use as default. As an exmaple, Notepad++ for xml files instead of Edge and Windows Pic Viewer instead of Photos (amongst many others)

In the settings app I can't even tell it to use those as they don't appear anywhere. So I right click on any of these files and pick the desired default app. But even then the default app stays the same and refuses to change. After hours of searching online I found a way to do it using the ftype command in an Admin command prompt and all was good in the world again, until I restarted my PC and it forgot everything again!!!!!

@microsoft support: Don't bother answering with these, they were the first thing I tried obviously:

"Follow the steps to repair or uninstall a program:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/repair-or-remove-programs#v1h=tab01"

"I suggest you to go through the below article Change default programs in Windows 10 and check if it helps.

Click on, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/change-default-programs-in-windows-10# "

:)

CharlesBourin, Apr 29, 2019
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Windows 10 never remembers default apps :(

puma99dk|, Apr 29, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 29, 2019
  4. Victek Win User

Windows 10 never remembers default apps

Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder though if the issue actually has anything to do with the Adobe Reader? When I first observed the problem Edge was showing as the default PDF reader in Outlook's drop down list. It was possible to select Adobe Reader from the list, but even though we put a check in the box for Outlook to remember the choice it didn't. After setting the Adobe Reader as the default in Control Panel/Default Programs/ the icon on PDF files changed to the Adobe Reader icon and it replaced Edge as the first app in Outlook's drop down list, however Outlook continues to ask and doesn't save the choice.

One thing I wanted to try was repairing Microsoft Office, but strangely there is no entry in Programs and Features. I wonder if there's a way to run the repair from the command line?

Victek, Apr 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 never remembers default apps

1. Windows 10 never remembers default apps - Similar Threads - never remembers default

2. Windows Search Not Remembering Default Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Not Remembering Default Apps: When I upgraded to Windows 11, the search function on my PC stopped working regularly. The search could no longer find most of my documents. I managed to fix that problem by re-indexing thru search settings. But I still have a problem where, when I open Microsoft Office files...
  3. Windows Search Not Remembering Default Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Not Remembering Default Apps: When I upgraded to Windows 11, the search function on my PC stopped working regularly. The search could no longer find most of my documents. I managed to fix that problem by re-indexing thru search settings. But I still have a problem where, when I open Microsoft Office files...
  4. Windows never remember applications position on dual screen setup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows never remember applications position on dual screen setup: Hi I am on Windows 10 Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 card Intel core i9 processor Dual monitor setup: 1. Dell P2415Q secondary screen 2. Wacom Cintiq 22" main screen The problem is that all my applications windows positions always reset to the primary monitor after the...
  5. Windows won't remember default recording device.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows won't remember default recording device.: Hello! I've recently started using RTX voice as it helps with my noisy keyboard. The problem is, that I'm using an USB headset arctis pro+gamedac and every time I restart my computer the default recording and communications device switches itself to the headset, even though i...
  6. Failure of Windows 10 to remember default programs for second user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Failure of Windows 10 to remember default programs for second user: My computer has two users, both administrators. For the first, Windows 10 remembers all default programs to open file types. For the second, it never does. After a restart, they've all reverted to the Microsoft defaults and have to be reset (for instance, to make Chrome...
  7. How to make Windows 10 NEVER remember a password?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to make Windows 10 NEVER remember a password?: Hi Readers, I want to make my Windows 10 never to store any passwords for any WiFi network. How do I configure that within Windows 10 PRO? Thx for readin, Jasper...
  8. Volume settings never remembered

in Windows 10 Customization
    Volume settings never remembered: every time I play a video, a game, anything with audio, It always plays at full volume, regardless of what my current volume is set as. If I make ANY adjustment, up or down, the volume will then jump to my current setting. So lets say my volume level is currently set at 20%...
  9. Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice: I would check Staret => Settings => Apps => Apps and features => scroll down to Office => left click once => Modify Should bring up a repair . . Thanks, I've passed this along. I'll post again when I get results.
  10. Win 10 Not Remembering Default Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Not Remembering Default Programs: I'm experiencing a problem with images attached to an email. Each time I click on an image to view it, I am presented with a menu asking me to select the default program. I check the 'default' box, I select Picasa photo viewer, and I see the photo. But, I have to do...