Windows 10: Windows 10 ( new build) won't let me make a recovery USB.

Discus and support Windows 10 ( new build) won't let me make a recovery USB. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Windows 10 Version 1909 (os build 18363. 1316) This is a home built computer. The only things brought over from the old one was a manual data transfer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by chuckiechan, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Windows 10 ( new build) won't let me make a recovery USB.

Windows 10 Version 1909 (os build 18363. 1316) This is a home built computer. The only things brought over from the old one was a manual data transfer of photos and documents, no programs.
    I cant get Windows to make a back up USB drive. I though maybe my flash drive was bad, so I bought a new one and it does the same thing.
    I ran SFC /scannow and no files changed, no problems found.
    I did reagentc /info Win RE status: enabled
    I went into the registry:

Computer/HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current control set\control\session manager
    I opened boot execute and autocheck autochk * was in there as I read it was supposed to be for this problem.
    When I try to make a Recovery USB (32 Gb capacity) it formats, but stops and says:
    We cant create the recovery drive
    A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive Ideas?
    Thanks in advance

Specs:
    Windows 10 Version 1909 (os build 18363. 1316) Motherboard: ASUS Prime x570-P

AMD 3600 chip 16GB Gskill DDR4 ram ASUS 1060 video. Internal storage: Crucial M2 1- terabyte SSD ( stick of gum size that plugs into a socket near video card)
    WD 1 terabyte SSD for data. Crucial 250 GB SSD data backup.

:)

chuckiechan, Jan 31, 2021

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jan 31, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

4. CK011885 Win User

Windows 10 ( new build) won't let me make a recovery USB.

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 ( new build) won't let me make a recovery USB.

1. Windows 10 ( new build) won't let me make a recovery USB. - Similar Threads - build won't let

2. Why computer wont let me sign in and won't let me make a pin.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why computer wont let me sign in and won't let me make a pin.: My pc never let me set up a pin before so I ended up always pressing skip this step and logging into my computer, but recently whenever I go to log in, I click skip this step and it just sends me back to the begining stage. windows 11...
  3. Why computer wont let me sign in and won't let me make a pin.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why computer wont let me sign in and won't let me make a pin.: My pc never let me set up a pin before so I ended up always pressing skip this step and logging into my computer, but recently whenever I go to log in, I click skip this step and it just sends me back to the begining stage. windows 11...
  4. new build make me crazy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    new build make me crazy: hi, I built a new pc to replace the old one which was 15 years old. I choose Ryzen 3800x Gigabyte rtx 2060 super gaming Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS samsung EVO 970 nvme m.2 Windows 10 and i always try last windows insider version 19041 All drivers and bios are up to date...
  5. new build make me crary

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    new build make me crary: hi, I built a new pc to replace the old one which was 15 years old. I choose Ryzen 3800x Gigabyte rtx 2060 super gaming Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS samsung EVO 970 nvme m.2 Windows 10 and i always try last windows insider version 19041 All drivers and bios are up to date...
  6. New Version won't let me update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Version won't let me update: I just updated to the 2019 version. Now it won't let me update a program for this version. How do I fix this? [img] 148979
  7. Windows won't let me use a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won't let me use a recovery drive: So, I had recently tried fixing my computer because it was stuck in the 'endless loop' by using a recovery usb and drive (I had gotten both) but neither shows the option to recover from drive? I can select 'recover from drive' but all that does is show me my options of...
  8. New account won't let me log in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    New account won't let me log in: I run W10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. To deal with one game (out of several) not syncing, I'm trying to create a new account to see if the game will sync on a new account.. I create the account and give it a password, which I have written down so I can't get it wrong. When I...
  9. New build won't let me install Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New build won't let me install Windows: Here is my build - Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 960 4GB - System Build - PCPartPicker So this has been a nightmare for the past two days trying to get everything installed correctly and to actually boot up and allow me to install windows from my USB drive. I...
  10. Windows 10 will not update, won't let me make a usb recovery either

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not update, won't let me make a usb recovery either: I have a mini dell 3050 with windows 10 home on it, it came with a 32gb ssd and 2gb ram, I upgraded the ram per crucials page to 8gb, also upgraded the ssd drive to a 128gb transcend ssd cloning the original ssd with Macrium Reflect Free program, everything seemed to go...