Windows 10: Windows 10 New install Corrupted Thumbnails while viewing .ico files

Discus and support Windows 10 New install Corrupted Thumbnails while viewing .ico files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Well, new install with Windows 10. I noticed while viewing my .ico files the thumbnails are corrupted. I tried rebuilding the icon cache as well as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MrTwister, Oct 21, 2017.

1. MrTwister Win User

Windows 10 New install Corrupted Thumbnails while viewing .ico files

Well, new install with Windows 10. I noticed while viewing my .ico files the thumbnails are corrupted.
    I tried rebuilding the icon cache as well as purging the thumbnail cache.
    Not sure whats left to try.
    While using winaero tweaker I also noticed that when selecting icons for customization, they come up as blank icons. It never did this before and this problem just started to recently happen.
    Although they work when applying the settings.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

:)

MrTwister, Oct 21, 2017

2. Folder customization reverts back.

I will say that a Disk Clean up on Thumbnails will remove your picture for your icon.

Also Certain Windows updates will also remove them.

Did you know that you can change a photo file type to an .ico file type and use the .ico file and not have this issue anymore.

You can find free software to download that will convert a photo file to an icon file.

This site will do it without downloading their software. It has to be a PNG, JPG or BMP image to convert to ICO

New Link: Update

ICO Convert | Simple Mode

1 A. Browse to your location of file to convert and Upload file.

2. Select ICO for Windows 7, Windows 8, Vista and newer( it's compatible with Windows XP ) **IT ALSO WORKS FOR WINDOWS 10**

1 B. Select Convert Now. After it is converted

3. Download the converted file

Successfully converted

Click on - Download your icon

4. Look in your User Download folder

5. Create a folder "My Icons" and put in your Picture or Public Picture folder and then move new Ico file into that folder.

6. Go yo your folder you want to change the icon and in Customize

Use the bottom one for Folder Icons - Change Icon

click on Browse

go to where the ico file is and select it

Click OK, Apply, OK

These folder icon views will not get changed unless you make a change to the ico file or delete the file.

seahawks65, Oct 21, 2017
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer video thumbnail display problem

Hi Ramesh,

I have been following this thread for some time because I have the same problem with the thumbnails in File Explorer.

The problem started when I upgraded Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. It worked fine for a while but after a few windows updates the video thumbnail display problem was introduced.

I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 but the problem remained, even after a clean Windows 10 install and updates.

The only way for me to view the correct video thumbnail in File Explorer is
    not to choose Windows Media Player as a default program for my videos.

At present I use Windows Microsoft Films & TV app to view the thumbnails.

Regards

W. A. J. van Schaik, Oct 21, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

Bastet, Oct 22, 2017
  5. MrTwister Win User
    Thanks for the response.
    Well, I looked into your solution. Seems these don't work.
    Although I should mention that I have these files backed up on a separate local network drive (Asus Router using Samba.)
    When looking at these files on the net drive, they appear normal with the exception of the one icon file (NEC.) But as soon as I place them in on my desktop or anywhere on my pc, the become distorted again. Very strange.

MrTwister, Oct 22, 2017
  6. MrTwister Win User
    Well, I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is. Or at least some of which it pertains to.
    It is the file association with windows photo. However, it seems that when these files were associated with that app, this is what caused the problem. I will update when I find out more.

MrTwister, Oct 23, 2017
  7. Bastet Win User
    The fix I posted should’ve removed the association with Windows photo viewer & return it to nothing which then gets the .ico & .cur files showing the picture, strange if this fix didn’t work for you.

Bastet, Oct 23, 2017
  8. MrTwister Win User

MrTwister, Oct 27, 2017
  9. Bastet Win User
    Glad to hear it’s all OK now. *Smile

Bastet, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 New install Corrupted Thumbnails while viewing .ico files - Similar Threads - install Corrupted Thumbnails

2. Windows 10- Not able to view image thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10- Not able to view image thumbnails in File Explorer: I just recently got a new computer and, at first, was able to view the thumbnails for all of my pictures in File Explorer but then, they stopped showing one day. I never made any changes during this time and I can still view the picture when I click on the icons. I also can...
  3. Windows 10- Not able to view image thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10- Not able to view image thumbnails in File Explorer: I just recently got a new computer and, at first, was able to view the thumbnails for all of my pictures in File Explorer but then, they stopped showing one day. I never made any changes during this time and I can still view the picture when I click on the icons. I also can...
  4. Windows 10- Not able to view image thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10- Not able to view image thumbnails in File Explorer: I just recently got a new computer and, at first, was able to view the thumbnails for all of my pictures in File Explorer but then, they stopped showing one day. I never made any changes during this time and I can still view the picture when I click on the icons. I have...
  5. Thumbnail View

Thumbnail View: What happened to Thumbnail view of Office 365 documents in Windows 10? All my thumbnails have disappeared except for pictures and videos. This is very annoying! How do I get them all back?...
  6. Thumbnail view in Windows 10 Explorer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thumbnail view in Windows 10 Explorer?: Hello, I would very much like to see my files in Winwows Explorer in a thumbnail view instead of the PDF/Word symbol. This works for images and Open Document documents and is displayed to me, but not for Word and PDF files. In Word I have set that the thumbnails are...
  7. Thumbnails not viewing on new HP Computer.

Thumbnails not viewing on new HP Computer.: I have a new HP computer. On my Acer my PNG, JPEG and PDF's all show as pictures. Both are on windows 10. On the HP I just get an icon.(PDF letters or a picture of a mountain) In the view setting under options, view, the always show icons is unchecked. I am viewing these...
  8. View .pes files as a thumbnail in windows 10 64 bit

View .pes files as a thumbnail in windows 10 64 bit: Can anyone tell me how to view .pes file conten as a thumbnail in windows 10 64 bit... Everything is showing up the same thing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/view-pes-files-as-a-thumbnail-in-windows-10-64-bit/eb59e7e8-597a-4217-af00-81cd9650bece"
  9. view thumbnails

view thumbnails: Good day I have tried all the usual fixes for this problem clicking the check marks in view , making sure I am in lg or ex lg view. still only can get the photo app icon to view. this is in all my photo folders Peter...
  10. Thumbnails of ICO files down't show up if stored in OneDrive

Thumbnails of ICO files down't show up if stored in OneDrive: Ever since Microsoft OneDrive updated to Version 2017 (Build 17.3.7059.0930), all my PDF files that I have stored show thumbnails which never happened before. Great. [img] However, all my ICO (*.ico) files no longer show thumbnails after they are synched like they...