Windows 10: Windows 10 new install stuck at "Preparing files - 30%"

Discus and support Windows 10 new install stuck at "Preparing files - 30%" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, Have been running Windows 10 on an older desktop since I upgraded from Windows 7 during the free upgrade period a couple of years ago.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Salsiccia, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Salsiccia Win User

Windows 10 new install stuck at "Preparing files - 30%"

Hi guys,

Have been running Windows 10 on an older desktop since I upgraded from Windows 7 during the free upgrade period a couple of years ago. Digitally registered to my MS account.

Now moving to a new machine - ASUS P9-X79 Pro motherboard, 32G RAM, 240G SSD main disk.
    Using a Windows 10 installation DVD I made from my old machine before I pulled it apart to salvage usable parts.

Booting from DVD the install starts fine, I answer the initial questions about languages, skip the product key because I will link it to my MS account later. The install starts and then hangs at the second bullet point of the main screen - "Preparing files for use - 30%".

I have tried this several times, tried installing to a different SSD and left it overnight. This morning the screen said "Windows cannot be installed". Have also tried booting from a second copy of the DVD and got the same result.

At the start I deleted all partitions off the 240G SSD so it was completely fresh and let W10 create the 4 partitions it wanted.

This motherboard was previously running Windows 7, using a different 128G SSD as the C drive and had no problems. I want to preserve that disk so I can copy needed files off it afterwards.

This mobo has a UEFI BIOS - my first experience with this.

Power supply is a Corsair 1000W so I don't think its a power supply problem.

Any tips / pointers / clues gratefully received !

Sal

:)

Salsiccia, Feb 17, 2019
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Feb 17, 2019
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Feb 17, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 new install stuck at "Preparing files - 30%" - Similar Threads - install stuck Preparing

2. Windows Stuck On “Preparing Files” Step

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Stuck On “Preparing Files” Step: so basically ive built my new PC and plugged in my usb to install windows, i go through all the steps perfectly fine and once it gets to the second step of installation, “Getting files ready for installation” it’ll go up to about 20% and freeze, i can’t move my mouse or...
  3. Windows 10 stuck on 30%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 stuck on 30%: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PythaxG [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lxe57j/windows_10_stuck_on_30/
  4. Windows Installer preparing to install stuck

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Installer preparing to install stuck: Hello so today after moving some files from my ssd to my hdd, I restarted my pc and then there was a Windows Installer pop up. I've waited for a long time and the most I've gotten was an error message saying "Install server not responding" where I had to retry, canceling it...
  5. Windows 10 install stucks on preparing after reboot

Windows 10 install stucks on preparing after reboot: Hi there, First, if you’re reading this, thank you in advance for your time! I’ve been struggling with a fresh/clean install of Windows 10 during the last 3 days. Let me summarize what’s happening; Old pc with a Asus motherboard, legacy BIOS working with the latest...
  6. New apps stuck on “Windows Installer, Preparing to install”

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New apps stuck on “Windows Installer, Preparing to install”: Today, I downloaded two apps to my Windows 10 Samsung tablet to test for video music collaboration: JamKazam and Jamtaba. When opening the apps, they get stuck on “Windows Installer, Preparing to install.” My Windows Updates are current. Other programs previously installed,...
  7. Windows update stuck in preparing to install

Windows update stuck in preparing to install: I was updating an old laptop I haven't used in a while from version 1511 to 1903. It has been stuck at 14% for 4 hours now. Anything I can do to fix this without restarting the update as I have limited internet? Already tried using the update troubleshooter, says everything's...
  8. Windows 10 stuck at 30%

Windows 10 stuck at 30%: Hi, My computer always seems to freeze whenever it needs to update and shut down/restart at the 30% mark. At first I thought it was a hardware problem so I bought a new ssd and put a fresh windows 10 on it and it had the same problem. I dont boot my computer off my HDD...
  9. (Windows 10) Windows update stuck on preparing for installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    (Windows 10) Windows update stuck on preparing for installation: tl;dr at bottom I started downloading windows 10 home edition for my laptop a few hours ago, and everything was going smooth until the download was finished and the updater displayed preparing for installation. It started out fine, it was going up slowly, but that was...
  10. Stuck at "Preparing to install"

Stuck at "Preparing to install": My Windows 10 background download was complete but now its stuck at preparing to install? Any ideas? 11628

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 install stops at gathering files

2. windows installer stuck 30%

3. when upgrading fom win7 to win10dawnload stuck on 30%