Windows 10: Windows 10 No login prompt fields after connecting external monitor

Discus and support Windows 10 No login prompt fields after connecting external monitor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I feel like such a dummy. I have a HP15 laptop and connected an AOC external monitor using a HDMI cable. Everything worked fine and I like my main... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by debback56, Feb 23, 2017.

1. debback56 Win User

Windows 10 No login prompt fields after connecting external monitor

I feel like such a dummy. I have a HP15 laptop and connected an AOC external monitor using a HDMI cable. Everything worked fine and I like my main monitor on my left so I switched my primary to the external monitor and didn't think about switching it back to the laptop before I disconnected the HDMI cable and took my laptop into another room to do some work while watching TV. Everything was fine until I closed the lid and came back the next day and powered it back on. It powers on and all I can see is the Windows background screen with no logon prompt for user account or password. I took it back to my home office and reconnected the external monitor but it is black. I can move the mouse back and forth between the two monitors but cannot get a logon prompt. I tried just normal key sequence to logon - press enter, type my account and password to try and fool it but nothing. I have tried booting in safe mode but it only loads the VGA drive and doesn't see the HDMI. AOC says it is a Windows problem and not theirs. I found a few blogs on pressing the windows key and the right arrow cursors, but to no avail. Any ideas?

:)

debback56, Feb 23, 2017
  2. vbisbest Win User

Windows 10 creators update - Screen does not come back on after sleep/hibernate

Same issue here with the external monitor not turning back on after sleep. I have one other odd behavior as well. When my laptop boots up, the external monitor will be active for about 5 seconds. Then it turns off and switches to the laptop monitor.
    It will sit there for about 30 seconds and then switch back to the external monitor. If I try to login before it switches back to the main monitor the screen will be fuzzy (bad resolution) or it windows completely crashes and it reboots.

Windows 10 Creators Update

AMD 455 Pro

vbisbest, Feb 23, 2017
  3. Windows 10 ASUS builtin Monitor not working

I have an ASUS laptop (N61J) with an external ASUS monitor (connected with an HDMI cable). Both monitors were working perfectly under Windows 7. After the install of Windows 10 the built-in monitor is black (bad) and the external monitor is showing everything
    (good).

How do I get Windows 10 to use the built-in monitor?

When I boot the laptop, the built-in monitor displays the boot sequence and initially a little blue window is displayed on the built-in monitor. However, once the boot sequence advances, the built-in monitor goes black and the login screen is shown only
    on the external monitor.

Everything works fine on the external monitor. Using the external monitor...

In the Settings->System->Display screen the system knows there are two monitors and correctly labels the external monitor as 2. However when I adjust the "Multiple displays" to "extend these displays", the built-in monitor remains black (although the behaviour
    of the mouse changes and I can push it off screen and no longer see the mouse on the external display).

Looking at the Device Manager-> Monitors there shows two entries both are labelled "Generic PnP Monitor".

I think this is the problem. The system us trying to use the wrong driver for the built-in monitor.

How can I adjust the setting so the system uses the correct driver for the built-in monitor?

kwallDisplayNameistaken, Feb 23, 2017
  4. Windows 10 No login prompt fields after connecting external monitor

Welcome to the TenForums @debback56

First when you said you tried to fool it by pressing enter you then entered your user name and password. Normally I just enter password. Was this just a typo.

Next with the monitor attached and after power on, click once with you mouse. Give it 20 secs and then use the Windows Key + P. This brings up a menu although with your screen not on, it may not.

Next as you have been down through the trouble shooting options you likely noticed System Restore, after you clicked Advance options. You could try restoring to a point before you made these changes with monitor disconnected.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 23, 2017
  5. debback56 Win User
    Thanks Ken, I actually had tried both ways on the password because I couldn't remember if my personal laptop had a spot for user account and password or just password (my work does both). I had also tried the Windows Key + P before and it hadn't worked, but I found a blog where it said to do exactly what you suggested. I had to connect the external monitor, reboot, wait until the windows field scene was on my laptop and the black screen was on my external monitor, then press the Windows + P and up popped the projector menu. I was then able to return back the primary to my laptop and whahlah!!! I have been messing with this for a week. I had also tried the system restore but it had an error and wouldn't work. Lesson learned, never make the external screen your primary and always return to one screen before disconnecting the external monitor (have a docking station at work so I am spoiled).

debback56, Feb 23, 2017
  6. Excellent.

Could I also make another suggestion. Please check out Macrium Reflect. Highly recommended and very reliable.

If system restore is broken you need a plan B. Many on the forum use both.

Macrium Reflect - Backup and Restore

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 No login prompt fields after connecting external monitor

1. Windows 10 No login prompt fields after connecting external monitor - Similar Threads - login prompt fields

2. External monitor is not connecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor is not connecting: I recently bought an external monitor Acer Nitro QG221Q 21.5 Inch for my Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3. But when I used to connect it to it is blank. What should I do?Any suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks in advance!!...
  3. External monitor is not connecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor is not connecting: I recently bought an external monitor Acer Nitro QG221Q 21.5 Inch for my Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3. But when I used to connect it to it is blank. What should I do?Any suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks in advance!!...
  4. BSOD after connecting and disconnecting external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after connecting and disconnecting external monitor: Hey,I'm not a native English speaker, so forgive my ignorance.So, I have been facing BSOD after connecting and disconnecting Selecting PC screen only external monitor to my laptop. It doesn't happen all the time though. But it's very frustrating to not be able to use my...
  5. BSOD after connecting and disconnecting external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD after connecting and disconnecting external monitor: Hey,I'm not a native English speaker, so forgive my ignorance.So, I have been facing BSOD after connecting and disconnecting Selecting PC screen only external monitor to my laptop. It doesn't happen all the time though. But it's very frustrating to not be able to use my...
  6. External monitor is not connecting in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor is not connecting in windows 10: After recent update my laptop is not detecting external monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-monitor-is-not-connecting-in-windows-10/24590d76-c527-4ce4-a25c-38bb72e97a9f
  7. Connect external monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connect external monitor: How can I connect an external monitor to my new laptop with VGA to HDMI cable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connect-external-monitor/9e79dcc5-5257-4f83-999a-40af6632e4e6
  8. Login Prompt Missing After Windows 10 update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login Prompt Missing After Windows 10 update: I recently upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The upgrade went fine and I used the PC for about 4 hours without incident. Before shutting down, I did a check for updates. After the restart (required by the updates), I had no way to enter my password from the...
  9. Audio issues Windows 10 after connecting External monitor.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Audio issues Windows 10 after connecting External monitor.: I purchased an Acer monitor KA271B. When connected to HP computer by HDMI cable, I get a picture, but no audio. Have worked for two days on it and am at my wits end. HELP! ***Modified Title from: acer monitor connection by HDMI no audio***...
  10. Connect external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connect external monitor: Trying to connect external monitor to x1 Carbon Lenovo Ultrabook running windows 10. When I open the Project window and select Extend it reverts back to PC screen only when the project window closes....