Windows 10: Windows 10 no longer boots from my primary HDD and still need to use it.

Discus and support Windows 10 no longer boots from my primary HDD and still need to use it. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I recently bought a Mircon Crucial SSD and installed Windows 10 on it via a USB. After restarting; a light blue screen prompted a selection of 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bfh818, Feb 27, 2020.

1. /u/bfh818 Win User

Windows 10 no longer boots from my primary HDD and still need to use it.

I recently bought a Mircon Crucial SSD and installed Windows 10 on it via a USB. After restarting; a light blue screen prompted a selection of 2 different drives. One drive was labelled as "Volume 7" which was my HDD and "Volume 3" which was my SSD. I did not know this at the time and also didn't know the fact that I specifically chose the SSD. I assumed that this prompt was to choose which drive to boot windows from upon startup. I can still open the disk drive; but I still need it to have windows because some copied files don't function correctly because of it.

submitted by /u/bfh818
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bfh818, Feb 27, 2020
  2. Solaris17 Win User

Additional HDD

sata or IDE? im banking IDE.

pull both jumpers off. both drives.

plug the IDE cable in like so. it goes a certain way.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''Short
    L----------L----L <Ribbon
    I...............I......I
    Mobo.........2.....1
    ...............(Slave)..(Master)

connect 120GB HDD no jumper onto the connector of the short side of the cable (1 master).

connect 160GB HDD no jumper to 2 slave.

make sure mobo end is seated correctly. power is in. boot board.

go into bios set HDD 120GB as primary boot device. then go into the HDD list and make sure the 120GB is at the top of the list.

make sure AHCI/IDE are set appropriately for your board. especially if a bios reset has happened.

if this does not work. put jumpers on both HDD's on the CS pins (cable select pins are marked on the plastic, the pcb or a sticker showing you which 2 pins are M, S, CS)

then repeat steps as necessary.

Solaris17, Feb 27, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Laptop no longer booting from HDD or recovery USB

According to this link: Booting to the Boot Menu and BIOS
    Your laptop use F2 to access BIOS and F12 to access Boot Menu.

It will take a while to boot. Sometimes several minutes, Did you wait long enough ?
    HBCD only works with MBR disk type and will not recognize GPT disk.

If still cannot boot from Recovery disk. Use your friend's computer and download Macrium Rescue disk from my G-Drive: MacRescue.iso - Google Drive
    The iso is: MacRescue.iso, about 258MB.
    NOTE: Use F2 to access BIOS: enable Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot, disable CSM.

1. Connect the USB to the PC. Use Disk Management (Win+R->Disk Management) to find out the disk # of the USB
    2. Open Admin Command Prompt (Win+R->Command Prompt (Admin) and type:
      diskpart
      select disk # =====> where # is the disk number from step 1
      clean
      convert MBR
      create partition primary
      format fs=fat32 quick
      assign letter=R
      active
      exit
      bootsect /nt60 R: ====> This will updates the master boot code for the USB
      exit
    3. Double click MacRescue.iso. This will mount the iso as a virtual DVD drive with a letter assigned, seen in This PC
    4. copy the content of the virtual DVD to R: (Your USB)
    5. Reboot your PC and keep tapping on F12 to access boot menu then select the usb with UEFI prefix to boot into GPT mode
    6. Once booted. From the Macrium screen, click on Fix Windows Boot problems and follow the screen to complete

Windows 10 no longer boots from my primary HDD and still need to use it. [​IMG]
    7. Reboot your PC.

NOTE: If still does not boot then the problem is in the C drive, System file(s) corrupted. You would need to boot from the Windows Installation disk to perform custom upgrade. Use step 2 above to create a bootable Windows Installation. Don't use Rufus.

topgundcp, Feb 27, 2020
  4. Caring1 Win User

Windows Booting beep!!

Check the boot order in the BIOS also, it might not have the hard drive as primary in the boot list.

Caring1, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 no longer boots from my primary HDD and still need to use it. - Similar Threads - longer boots primary

2. Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive: Hello, recently I made some significant hardware changes to my PC. I changed the Processor, motherboard, and graphics card. During the change I wanted to refresh my various storage drives to get a clean install of windows with anything on my drives I wiped all my previous...
  3. Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive: Hello, recently I made some significant hardware changes to my PC. I changed the Processor, motherboard, and graphics card. During the change I wanted to refresh my various storage drives to get a clean install of windows with anything on my drives I wiped all my previous...
  4. Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I have a new HDD but I still want to use my old HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have a new HDD but I still want to use my old HDD: I've currently bought another HDD to use since my OLD HDD had bad sectors. I wanted to know whether this OLD HDD would affect my new HDD if I still continued to use my OLD HDD. I'm planning to format the HDD to mark the bad sectors as not usable. 183943
  6. Will not boot from HDD after Windows 10 install.

Will not boot from HDD after Windows 10 install.: I built a New PC. I downloaded rhe Windows 10 installer from Microsoft website. I have the installer on a 60GB HDD. I have a 250GB HDD as my primary drive. In order to boot from the 60GB drive to start the Windows 10 install, I have to set the 60GB as my first boot device in...
  7. Windows 10 won't boot from SSD, forced to use HDD

Windows 10 won't boot from SSD, forced to use HDD: A few weeks ago, my pc stopped booting Windows 10 from my SSD. I had cloned the os from my HDD about 10 months ago, and have had zero issues up until recently. Nothing had changed so I am unsure as to why the SSD can't boot windows 10. When I go into BIOS, all drives show up...
  8. Booting with my HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting with my HDD: While I was installing my windows 10 OS, I have come across a problem. Whilst I was trying to boot my system, I have discovered that I can not boot it via my HDD but can only boot it with the windows boot manager. I have tried a lot of different options to fix it like...
  9. Adding SSD As New Boot/Primary Drive While HDD Is Used For Storage In Laptop.

Adding SSD As New Boot/Primary Drive While HDD Is Used For Storage In Laptop.: How do I make an SSD NVMePCIe M.2 as your new boot drive while not getting rid of my HDD. I want to use my HDD for storage but do not want to format it or anything I want to keep it in my laptop and just have the important stuff like windows windows 10, steam, and a few other...
  10. Laptop no longer booting from HDD or recovery USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop no longer booting from HDD or recovery USB: Hello everyone, My Acer Aspire V3 is refusing to boot to W10 after I forced shutdown when it froze whilst running some large video conversions. I have tried the following: Normal reboot results in the Preparing Automatic Repair on the Acer loading for a few seconds...