Windows 10: Windows 10 No Longer Opens Apps From Search With Enter Key

Discus and support Windows 10 No Longer Opens Apps From Search With Enter Key in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't know if this is just me and my keyboard or if something happened with an update. Normally to open most apps I will just press the windows key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bemho, Nov 12, 2015.

1. bemho Win User

Windows 10 No Longer Opens Apps From Search With Enter Key

I don't know if this is just me and my keyboard or if something happened with an update. Normally to open most apps I will just press the windows key on my keyboard and type its name. I updated today, both normal windows updates and the threshold 2 update (build 10586.3), but I think the issue started happening after the normal updates. Anyways, I used to be able to type my program name and press Enter and it would open. This is no longer the case for certain items. For example, if I type Regedit, it correctly find the Regedit app but if I press Enter nothing happens, but I can click the found entry with my mouse and it opens just fine. I also cannot open a UNC path (ex \\COMPUTER\C$ or C:\Users) using the Enter button, but again the mouse works. It seems that if after finding the program it says "Run command" underneath it it doesn't open with Enter, and again neither do paths. I can type Notepad and press Enter and it opens just fine without any issues.

I created this account just to post this because I find it so strange.

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this but thought I'd post and see if anyone has any ideas.

:)

bemho, Nov 12, 2015
  2. banthaboy Win User

Searching for contacts in Windows 10

The moderator responses are standard boilerplate text.

I think what's being asked is (and I have this same frustration):

On earlier Windows 8.X versions, one could perform a simple search --- that automatically included a lookup in Windows People --- simply by hitting the Windows key and entering all or part of a contact's name. In all versions of Windows 10, that ability
    seems to have been lost.

For instance, if I hit the Windows key, thus invoking the search dialogue, and enter all or part of a contact's name, the responses all come from the internet. In the resultant browser window (or even the dynamic text above the "Cortana icon") there are
    options to search this same text string within Apps and Documents, with each choice being a manual click. (That also used to be automatic; no longer.)

But regardless, in all cases, the text string entered DOES NOT apparently get passed to the People app. Therefore, the only way to search for contacts, is literally to open the People application and use the search dialogue box there.

That -- I believe -- is what this original question was all about. The functionality I described here WAS part of Windows 8.X and is no longer present in Windows 10.X, or so it seems. Android, iOS and OSX all do this --- direct search includes Contacts.
    It's very disappointing that it no longer works, or if it does, please explain how to use this.

banthaboy, Nov 12, 2015
  3. Search key no longer works with windows 10

Hi.

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

1. Do you get any error message when you try to search?

2. Have you made any recent hardware or software changes to the computer?

I suggest you to perform the following troubleshooter and refer to the article mentioned below which will give you a clear idea about indexing and searching.

Method 1:

For “windows search is not running" let's run the search and indexing troubleshooter if not yet tried and check:

a) Hold Windows key + X.

b) Click on Control Panel.

c) Click on troubleshooting and click on view all.

d) Now check for search and indexing troubleshooter and click on it

Indexing and Search: Frequently asked questions.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/search-index-faq

I hope the above suggestion helps. If you need further assistance, get back to us and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harsha Rasquinha, Nov 12, 2015
  4. bemho Win User

So, I'm and idiot and I don't know why I didn't try it before posting, but I was able to fix the problem by unplugging my keyboard and plugging it back into a different port (windows installed the software again) and it now works properly. I still believe the problem was initially caused by an update.

bemho, Nov 12, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 No Longer Opens Apps From Search With Enter Key - Similar Threads - Longer Opens Apps

2. Instagram App on Windows 11 no longer opens an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Instagram App on Windows 11 no longer opens an app: Hello,The IG app no longer opens and instead it opens in my browser. Is there a way to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/instagram-app-on-windows-11-no-longer-opens-an-app/5b20e032-5b8c-41e3-95b6-f2a53203d430
  3. Instagram App on Windows 11 no longer opens an app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Instagram App on Windows 11 no longer opens an app: Hello,The IG app no longer opens and instead it opens in my browser. Is there a way to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/instagram-app-on-windows-11-no-longer-opens-an-app/5b20e032-5b8c-41e3-95b6-f2a53203d430
  4. Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.: Hi team, I have the below issue which is exclusive to Windows File Explorer only:Whenever I need to search for a file or text in a document/folder I use CTRL + F, type the text/file name and press the enter key to execute the search.This chain of commands works in all...
  5. Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.

Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.: Hi team, I have the below issue which is exclusive to Windows File Explorer only:Whenever I need to search for a file or text in a document/folder I use CTRL + F, type the text/file name and press the enter key to execute the search.This chain of commands works in all...
  6. Programing Not Launching With "Enter" key from Windows Search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programing Not Launching With "Enter" key from Windows Search: [ATTACH] I just started having issues tonight where Windows 10 will refuse to start an application after pressing the Windows key on keyboard and searching for an application. For example, if I press the windows key and type "calc" without quotes in the search bar,...
  7. Keyboard entering multiple keys/opening programs.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard entering multiple keys/opening programs.: Hi about an hour ago I was playing a game & suddenly I noticed my keys weren't right, more specifically just the row under the number keys "Tab - \". Not sure why it's just that row, I'm pretty sure I have sticky keys disabled. For example whenever I press "Q" my camera...
  8. Random Apps are opening from different keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Random Apps are opening from different keys: When I was using a program pressing 's' opened the search bar menu or the file explorer, pressing 'p' opened 'project your pc' menu and typing stopped working. Can someone please help me? This happens only when I open Minecraft....
  9. 3 specific Apps no longer open in Windows 10.

3 specific Apps no longer open in Windows 10.: Weather, News and Sports. Those 3 apps crashes immediately after opening. It happened with build 14959 and now with 14965. I've tried Reinstall them, reinstall with PowerShell... do not solved. Any help? 69419
  10. Cannot open any app from Search

Cannot open any app from Search: I can open any files with no issue. SFC, DISM, and the repair useing app manifest doesn't help. I did get a little too happy with delete folders from system apps. Wondering which I would need to restore. 86266