Windows 10: Windows 10 no longer recognizes smart card

Discus and support Windows 10 no longer recognizes smart card in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; After a windows update, my smart card is no longer recognized. The smart card reader works fine, and the smart card is recognized in my other windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Gary4096, May 18, 2020.

1. Gary4096 Win User

Windows 10 no longer recognizes smart card

After a windows update, my smart card is no longer recognized. The smart card reader works fine, and the smart card is recognized in my other windows work station. Does anyone have any suggestions?

:)

Gary4096, May 18, 2020
  2. Rob_U Win User

Windows Security is no longer recognizing my CAC reader (Smart Card reader)

Windows Security seems to have randomly stopped recognizing my CAC reader, this happened early September.

Typically whenever I access a website that needs my CAC (email, DTS, etc), it prompts me to select my name from a list of credentials, which I do. Then a box pops up from Windows Security asking me to select a smart card device, I click the only option
    and proceed and that's about it.

Now, though, when windows security prompts me to select a smart card device, there is no option. Instead, it simply says "connect a smart card."

I have tried with three different smart cards, all of which operate on other computers, none on mine. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media as well as the Device Manager both recognize the CAC reader when plugged in. I've uninstalled the device from device
    manager, reinstalled it and also updated the driver from the product's website.

To me, it seems that the computer is still recognizing the reader and the software is there - but Windows Security is somehow blocking the system from accessing/recognizing/allowing the reader.

Any suggestions?

I'm running Windows 10 and the CAC reader is ActivIdentity's USB Reader v3.0, P/N: ZFG-9820GAC

Rob_U, May 23, 2020
  3. David Haz Win User
    Windows 10 recognizes my SD Card as a local drive

Jon,

You posted that you would try the suggested steps by Tryx3. May we have an update if the suggested steps have resolved the issue about your SD card being recognized as a fixed drive in Windows 10?

David Haz, May 23, 2020
  4. Nofsdad Win User

No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive

Since receiving the Win 10 Home upgrade my computer no longer recognizes the DVD drive. It doesn't show in Device Manger or in the device list in This PC although it does spin up if you insert media into it. I've tried all the suggested remedies except messing with the registry and nothing works. This is one of several problems I've had with device drivers since the upgrade.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    AMD FX-4130 3.80Ghz
    8Gb Installed memory

Nofsdad, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 no longer recognizes smart card - Similar Threads - longer recognizes smart

2. smart card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    smart card: I just used laplink PC Mover to transfer from one PC to a new PC. At first, everything worked fine. Then I installed a legacy scanner and had some certificate issues getting it installed Scanner is an Epson ES-500W, and since then when I open Outlook 2007 I get a pop up...
  3. smart card

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    smart card: I just used laplink PC Mover to transfer from one PC to a new PC. At first, everything worked fine. Then I installed a legacy scanner and had some certificate issues getting it installed Scanner is an Epson ES-500W, and since then when I open Outlook 2007 I get a pop up...
  4. smart card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Smart card issue on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart card issue on Windows 10: I have Windows 10 on new HP Elitebook 855 G8 Notebook.When I try to use my eID with smart card reader, Windows Security pop-up window opens and recognizes my certificate it is dark, I can select it. When I press OK, it says „checking status“ and nothing happens. After some...
  6. Smart card issue on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Smart card issue on Windows 10: I have Windows 10 on new HP Elitebook 855 G8 Notebook.When I try to use my eID with smart card reader, Windows Security pop-up window opens and recognizes my certificate it is dark, I can select it. When I press OK, it says „checking status“ and nothing happens. After some...
  7. Graphics card is no longer recognized?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Graphics card is no longer recognized?: Hello, everyone, here's the problem. In my laptop (Dell Inspiron 5570) only the internal iGpu (Intel UHD Graphics) is recognized. My other graphics card (Radeon 530) is no longer recognized. Also in the device manager (where also the hidden devices are shown) the graphics...
  8. Windows Security is no longer recognizing my CAC reader (Smart Card reader)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Security is no longer recognizing my CAC reader (Smart Card reader): Windows Security seems to have randomly stopped recognizing my CAC reader, this happened early September. Typically whenever I access a website that needs my CAC (email, DTS, etc), it prompts me to select my name from a list of credentials, which I do. Then a box pops up...
  9. Windows 10 Smart Card Error

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 Smart Card Error: Hello, I keep getting the following error when I boot my Windows 10 Laptop: [ATTACH] I'm not using a smart card at all - how can I make it stop please? Thanks!...
  10. Windows 10 smart card login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 smart card login: Okay, so I wanted to set up my computer to log in via smart card as a secondary way to enter. I have a CAC and a CAC reader and I got them working. Here's the problem. I set the login via smart card enabled but it never setup a user or even registered my CAC as a login.... so...