Windows 10: Windows 10 - No sound from apps even though I hear tones in control panel Sound TEST.

Discus and support Windows 10 - No sound from apps even though I hear tones in control panel Sound TEST. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; ISSUE: No sound from apps even though I hear tones in control panel Sound TEST. All was working great. Power lost and when restored no sound from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TT_Dad1, Dec 2, 2020.

1. TT_Dad1 Win User

Windows 10 - No sound from apps even though I hear tones in control panel Sound TEST.

ISSUE: No sound from apps even though I hear tones in control panel Sound TEST.

All was working great. Power lost and when restored no sound from speakers. USB headphones and front headphone port works but nothing from rear Logitech 5.1 speakers/subwoofer.

Test button gives me tones I can hear. But when I play ANYTHING using ANY Windows apps, I can see the bar moving indicating sound is detected but I hear NOTHING. So, hardware is working but not software.

- Audio Troubleshooter finds no problem – I can even hear its test tone.

- Uninstalled “Realtek® Audio” in Device manager for “Audio inputs and outputs” as well as “Sound, video, and game controllers including drivers.

- Reinstalled Realtek 6.0.9034.1 software and drivers from my motherboard site Z390 AORUS Master. No sounds. Configured to Surround sound 5.1 and TEST tones work again. STILL NO SOUND FROM APPS!

- Only enabled hardware in Sound Control Panel-Playback is “Realtek HD Audio Speakers as default and “Realtek Digital Output” which is Ready but has nothing plugged into it.

- Test of “24-bit, 48000Hz Studio Quality gives tones successively.

- Spatial Sound format is set Off.
    - Unchecked “Enable audio enhancements” – no effect.

- Unchecked “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” – no effect.

Front ports and USB sounds work. Only my rear audio ports have stopped working although I hear tones when doing TEST in Sound control panel. Must but some kind of WINDOWS or WINDOWS driver setting issue but I've totally removed Realtek in Device manager, reinstalled drivers, and restarted PC twice. After doing this no tones in test until I configure for Surround Sound 5.1 and THEN I get tones again BUT NO SOUND FROM APPS.

:)

TT_Dad1, Dec 2, 2020

2. sound

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description I understand that you are unable to hear the email notification sound.

I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps:

• Go to Control Panel Items

• Click on Sound.

• Click on Sounds Tab.

• Click on Desktop Mail Notification.

• Click TEST.

• Click OK.
    And check if you are able to hear the email notification sound.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Windows 10 issues, can't get sound, issues with control panel and printer.

Hi Robin,

Sorry for the delay in response.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • What exactly happens when you try to print or find control panel?

Try the steps mentioned in the link.

As you have issues with the sound, try the steps mentioned in the link

Windows 10 sound issues

You may try find the control panel by typing control panel in the search box.

Let us know more about the issue to assist you better.

Ravinath P, Dec 2, 2020
  4. r8russ Win User

Windows 10 - No sound from apps even though I hear tones in control panel Sound TEST.

Are the Windows mail app sounds (selected from Control Panel > Sound) disabled in the Windows 10 mail app?

Basic problem: with Windows 8.1, the incoming mail audible alert (sound) for the Mail App works perfectly by going to Control Panel > Sound and selecting preferred sounds for "Desktop Mail Notification" and "New Mail Notification." After upgrading to Windows
    10, no selection in Control Panel > Sound produces the desired audible alert. Instead, it seems the only sound one gets on incoming mail is via Mail app > Settings > Options > Notifications > Show in Action Center > Play a sound. However, the Action Center
    sound is not selectable by any means I could find, and it is unaffected by and apparently unrelated to the above Sound settings in Control Panel. (It's also a pretty wimpy sound.)

The sound selection in Control Panel for the calendar app works fine, just like it did in Windows 8.1. Interestingly, I couldn't find any sound controls at all in the calendar app, which may explain why they work from Control Panel. This problem only exists
    in the mail app, where there *is* a sound control of sorts.

This is the second PC on which I've experienced this identical problem, so I don't suspect it's my hardware. My observation is that Control Panel > Sound linkage has been removed from the Win10 mail app and the expectation is that we will only get that
    fixed sound from the Action Center. If that's true, then (1) that's a big step down from the way it worked in Windows 8.1, (2) it's not consistent with the similar sound controls in the calendar app, and (3) if that's the way it's to be, then those mail options
    should be removed from Control Panel > Sound.

Or, if my conclusion is incorrect, then what's the answer? How does one get the same incoming mail sounds that we got in Windows 8.1?

r8russ, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - No sound from apps even though I hear tones in control panel Sound TEST. - Similar Threads - sound apps though

2. Windows 10 sound error: Failed to play test tone and everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 sound error: Failed to play test tone and everything: Hi, I need some help with my sound on Windows 10. Everything is ok but I can’t hear any sound from my speakers or headphones. When I go to the Sound settings and try to play a test tone, it says “Failed to play test tone”. This error started yesterday after I updated Windows...
  3. No sound, even with bluetooth earbuds. Failed to play test tone. Im using Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No sound, even with bluetooth earbuds. Failed to play test tone. Im using Windows 10.: Hello, I'm currently having problems with my pc. I have tried all the methods mentioned in this link ****knowledge/fix-audio-service-is-not-running-error-windows-10/ but it still won't play music....
  4. No sound, even with bluetooth earbuds. Failed to play test tone. Im using Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No sound, even with bluetooth earbuds. Failed to play test tone. Im using Windows 10.: Hello, I'm currently having problems with my pc. I have tried all the methods mentioned in this link ****knowledge/fix-audio-service-is-not-running-error-windows-10/ but it still won't play music....
  5. No sound, even with bluetooth earbuds. Failed to play test tone. Im using Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Can't test or hear sounds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't test or hear sounds: After a system restore I heard an annoying alert sound of some sort, so decided to change my sound settings. I changed my sounds to None, with designated exceptions. I chose the exceptions by clicking the particular alerts, for which I chose .wav sounds. But the Test buttons...
  7. Sound Control Panel

Sound Control Panel: Ever since the new windows updates, Sound Control Panel , also known in the bottom right (from sounds - speaker) as Playback Devices / Recording Devices, this tab has been taken out and we were given some option not many care about (even if they do, a lot of people never...
  8. Control Panel Sounds

Control Panel Sounds: Device Disconnect makes a sound while computer is in sleep mode. How do I turn it off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-sounds/4c65c3d3-48e9-43c9-8531-bb29344b98a1
  9. Sound Control Panel

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Control Panel: Hi.Running a Windows 10 computer.Running headless using Remote Desktop.Only use the computer as a music server.Have a dac connected to computer.In sound panel under playback it's only option is Remote Audio.Dac and other options are not there.Right click to show disabled and...
  10. No sound, No Control Panel

in Windows 10 Support
    No sound, No Control Panel: Installed Win10 and have the following problems. 1) I have no sound; Sound icon on task bars says "No audio Output Device Installed." When I run troubleshooter, it says Troubleshooting couldn't detect the problem. 2) Control Panel: When I click on control panel it...