Windows 10: Windows 10 - no sound on certain files

Discus and support Windows 10 - no sound on certain files in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just installed Windows 10 on my PC. I have had it on my laptop for a while. The install was perfect except for one problem - sound on certain files.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by macmiller, Jun 26, 2016.

1. macmiller Win User

Windows 10 - no sound on certain files

I just installed Windows 10 on my PC. I have had it on my laptop for a while. The install was perfect except for one problem - sound on certain files.

I have a sound card installed with the SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio Driver version 1.4.90 driver software installed. Most things have fine sound, example: youtube videos. Some files have no sound, (I think the sound starts for the first second and then fades out?). An example is a .mov file I just got emailed. I tried the clip on my laptop which is also windows 10. The sound is fine there.

For the .mov file I have played it back in the default player, vlc and quicktime, all the same problem.

I have installed the latest driver for the audio card. I also tried removing the current drivers and letting windows install the default, and also removing and then installing the drivers myself.

I have not been able to get sound on the video clip. I have noticed the problems on other clips also.

Any clues appreciated, I am stymied.

:)

macmiller, Jun 26, 2016

2. Can't copy .wav file to c:\windows\media

VLC will play just about any sound file.

"Windows Sounds" requires a certain format and a certain bit rate. If they are not correct then it wil not play them. You need to find a converter that will duplicate this format.

Frederik Long, Jun 26, 2016
  3. Audio devices not connecting properly while on desktop

This could be due to the settings on certain program that’s having an issue. Please let us know if it just happening on certain browsers or certain websites to provide more precise troubleshooting. As of the moment, feel free to try the sound troubleshooter
    for Windows 10 found on this thread: Fix sound problems.

Don’t hesitate to give us updates on your query.

Arthur Rui, Jun 26, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Hi @macmiller.

If it is only the .mov, uninstall your Quick Time Player and install a fresh downloaded copy of the latest version of QuickTime.

If still it behaves the same, open the video in VLC, go to Tools> Media Information > Codec.
    Take a screenshot of this window and let us see it.

5. macmiller Win User
    I played with some settings in GOM player and VLC and started getting sound on that clip although in VLC player it sounds like it is in a cave. There is no sound in Windows Movies & TV, or quicktime player (which I uninstalled and installed latest versions).

Embedded videos now have no sound on firefox but seem OK on opera and chrome.

I have attached a clip showing my settings.

macmiller, Jun 27, 2016
  6. ARC
    Arc Win User
    This audio codec should be natively played in both VLC and QT.
    If not, then it might be either a settings related issue or a codec corruption.

As the first attempt, Reset the preferences in VLC media Player.
    Open VLC. Go to Tools > Preferences > Reset Preferences.

Windows 10 - no sound on certain files [​IMG]

If still it behaves the same, I would suggest you to re-mux the video with a different audio codec. There are many freeware tools that can do it, I prefer AVIdemux for this purpose.1. Download and Install AVIDemux.

2. Open it, drag the video in the window.

3. Under Audio Codec, Set it to either AAC, or AC3 or MP3.

Then, File > Save.

5. In the save dialog, dont forget to put the extension name, .avi.

Hopefully the issue will be gone then.

7. macmiller Win User
    When I reset VLC it stopped playing back with sound. As I knew that I had tweaked something to get sound with VLC I went back looking through the options. Under Audio->Audio Device 'default' was selected. I changed this to 'Digital Audio Interface (SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio)' and it started working fine after that.

I tried the suggestions with AVIdemux but all had no sound on the clip.

Then I went into Control Panel->Sound and disabled Speakers/SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio. After that the Digital Audio Interface was the only active playback device.

Now everything appears to be fixed. Thanks.

macmiller, Jun 28, 2016
  8. ARC
    Arc Win User

*Thumbs Well done!

Thema:

1. Windows 10 - no sound on certain files - Similar Threads - sound certain files

2. No sound on a certain game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No sound on a certain game: No sound is playing from a certain game. I have checked the audio settings and the sound is on. The weird part is, I get sounds from the same game if I run it from another windows user account. I've tried reinstalling the game multiple times and cleared all files.I've got no...
  3. No sound on a certain game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No sound on a certain game: No sound is playing from a certain game. I have checked the audio settings and the sound is on. The weird part is, I get sounds from the same game if I run it from another windows user account. I've tried reinstalling the game multiple times and cleared all files.I've got no...
  4. Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10: For my audio setup on my PC I use headphones plugged into a PS5 controller, which is plugged into the computer. The problem is that certain audio channels go through the speakers on the controller, and I can't find any way to disable them. After looking through settings a...
  5. Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10: For my audio setup on my PC I use headphones plugged into a PS5 controller, which is plugged into the computer. The problem is that certain audio channels go through the speakers on the controller, and I can't find any way to disable them. After looking through settings a...
  6. Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10

7. No sound on certain browser pages

in Windows 10 Customization
    No sound on certain browser pages: Hi. I'm currently using Windows Edge as browser, opening various tabs: Messenger, Whatsapp Web, Youtube, Facebook, etc. The issue is the audio in Facebook and Youtube plays properly but there is no sound when the audio is played on Whatsapp and Messenger's chat:...
  8. wmp no sound with certain mp3 audio files or books

wmp no sound with certain mp3 audio files or books: I have just upgraded to windows 10 version 1803. I have discovered that when I try to place certain mp3 audio books there is no sound, the progression bar moves along as if the file is being played. When I use VLC or iTunes there is no problem. I had no problem playing any of...
  9. No Sound in certain games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Sound in certain games: Hi, recently I got a problem with my sound systems in few games like Forza Horizon 3 and Rocket league which there is no audio (not all my games though) and it only happens in video games I mean I can play songs watch videos everything and works like a charm. I have tried:...
  10. No sounds on certain apps after windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No sounds on certain apps after windows update: I got no sounds on a few apps like Autohotkey (SoundBeep for example), CheatEngine, PrtScr, and even Troubleshoot sound doesn't make any sound too. But all else work fine, like Google Chrome, Discord, Helium Music Manager, KMPlayer... Those apps sound fine before i...