Windows 10: windows 10 not activated after a free upgrade from an activated windows 7 years ago

Discus and support windows 10 not activated after a free upgrade from an activated windows 7 years ago in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, just recently found out that my free upgraded windows 10 from an activated windows 7 now says that im not activated. not sure how long its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Teagnwalsh, Mar 22, 2021.

1. windows 10 not activated after a free upgrade from an activated windows 7 years ago

Hi there,

just recently found out that my free upgraded windows 10 from an activated windows 7 now says that im not activated.

not sure how long its said this but I'm trying to fix.

i do have the original windows 7 sticker on the original box when i purchased the pc

please help

windows 10 not activated after a free upgrade from an activated windows 7 years ago 4d785a6c-bcb3-40d2-872a-cb45523302ec?upload=true.png

:)

Teagnwalsh, Mar 22, 2021

2. Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

I did a full clean install of Windows 10 a while back and it will not activate. I didn't do a clean install from Windows 7/8/8.1 it was from Windows 10 (activated) so I expected it to activate just fine since it was fine before hand.

My Windows 10 license wasn't created from a previous Windows 7/8/8.1 key I got it from signing up to be an insider back in Nov of 2014. I installed a preview build on my laptop from the insider program and it worked just fine and it automatically upgraded to newer and newer preview builds and then to the full release automatically, fully activated and working fine. I did a full clean install not long ago (expect it to go through without issue since it was working before) and now it will not activate and I can't find any info on how to get it to activate and I can't seem to find the insider Windows 10 key.

Microsoft online support was useless and the gave me the toll free number to tech support.. I am currently on the phone waiting, they said it could be a 1hr 30min wait.. sigh.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

LightningJR, Mar 22, 2021
  3. qubit Win User
    Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

This kinda sucks. However, if one is upgrading from a retail W7/8, then it should activate on different hardware, with possible phone activation required if it's been over 120 days or whatever the timeout period is now since the last activation. Remember to erase the copy on the old hardware, of course.

qubit, Mar 22, 2021
  4. Drone Win User

windows 10 not activated after a free upgrade from an activated windows 7 years ago

Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

Like Pill Monster said no more Windows 10 keys for Insiders. It was on Microsoft Blog they said that all that stuff is tied to one machine. You can upgrade anytime but never make a clean install. Those people who upgraded from 7 or 8.1 to 10 can do a clean install of RTM and post-RTM builds. A friend of mine upgraded from RTM to 10533 or whatever the latest post-RTM build is (and it activated just fine).

After all MS isn't stupid to give Windows 10 for free.

Drone, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

windows 10 not activated after a free upgrade from an activated windows 7 years ago

1. windows 10 not activated after a free upgrade from an activated windows 7 years ago - Similar Threads - activated free upgrade

2. Activation of free upgraded Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation of free upgraded Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7: I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro free via Microsoft from Windows 7.I am anticipating I may soon have to reformat my HDD as I keep getting blue screens.Do I have to install Windows 7 again and then use the Windows 10 Pro upgrade which I saved or can I simply just install Windows...
  3. Dreaded Windows 10 Activation Issues after hardware change after free upgrade from 7

Dreaded Windows 10 Activation Issues after hardware change after free upgrade from 7: Probably the millionth time someone has had this problem and its still a mess so here we go lol Title sums it up. My understanding was I had a digital activation key. I found the guides for this kind of reactivation and thought I did everything I was supposed to do but ran...
  4. Activation of windows 10 home after upgrade from 7

Activation of windows 10 home after upgrade from 7: I just got a new ssd to replace my old had and installed it in my Sony vaio and installed windows 10 with my USB bootable drive. I tried to activate using the original product key under the battery on the vaio for windows 7 premium and it says servers aren't available right...
  5. windows 7/10 FREE upgrADE /ACTIVATION ERROR

windows 7/10 FREE upgrADE /ACTIVATION ERROR: how do i activate windows 10 license on dell laptop that came with windows 7? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-710-free-upgrade-activation-error/47ecfa08-ee2d-4e80-b722-6410a906055b
  6. Windows 10 Activation Not working after upgrade from windows 7

Windows 10 Activation Not working after upgrade from windows 7: HI All, i working as IT Manager for Hospitality group, i had few computers (7) got update issue with windows 7 so i have restore them from the image then i have upgrade them using the upgrade DVD to win 10, but all of them did not get activated, in the other side i have...
  7. ACTIVATING WINDOWS 10 AFTER FREE UPGRADING FROM WINDOWS 7

ACTIVATING WINDOWS 10 AFTER FREE UPGRADING FROM WINDOWS 7: CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY I CANT USE MY PRODUCT KEY FROM WINDOW 7 ULTIMATE TO ACTIVATE WINDOWS 10 PRO FREE UPGRADE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activating-windows-10-after-free-upgrading-from/282f861b-a36d-44c6-9b73-f0e32f2e5453"
  8. Windows 10 re-activation from free upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 re-activation from free upgrade: I had an old motherboard that came with Windows 7, and when Windows 10 was offered for existing Windows 7 users I upgraded to that. Now, I bought a new motherboard and am asked to activate windows 10, but when I try to activate it it says its unable to. My question is, will I...
  9. Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Activation.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Activation.: So, many Windows 7 and 8.1 users started getting the notification to reserve their free copies of Windows 10. But what about those insiders who clean installed the Insider Preview? (Not upgraded from an existing system). How will activation work? Gabe Aul said on...
  10. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!: Hi, A couple of months ago I decided to finally upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I didn't do a clean install, I just went through the upgrade process. Everything went smoothly, and I've been loving everything about windows 10 since then, but today it started to...