Windows 10: Windows 10 not activating after processor and motherboard upgrades

Discus and support Windows 10 not activating after processor and motherboard upgrades in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; hi! need help since suddenly my copy of windows 10 cannot activates on my pc, recently I just upgraded my processor and motherboard. I have a retail... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bladespinna, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Windows 10 not activating after processor and motherboard upgrades

hi! need help since suddenly my copy of windows 10 cannot activates on my pc, recently I just upgraded my processor and motherboard. I have a retail windows 10 license upgraded from my windows 8.1 license. the new device appears on my Microsoft account but windows 10 refuses to activates. I even tried reinputting my product keys but it still not working. what is happening?

:)

Bladespinna, Mar 16, 2019
  2. mshimala Win User

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Mar 16, 2019
  3. twolfer Win User
    Activated windows 10... then upgraded motherboard and processor.. how to activate again?

title says it all.. I upgraded to windows 10 on release day, then my motherboard died. Installed a new board and processor and now cant activate windows. How do I get activated again? Normally id look for the phone activation number.. but windows 10
    didn't provide me with a product key when I upgraded originally.

twolfer, Mar 16, 2019
  4. Windows 10 not activating after processor and motherboard upgrades

Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Mar 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 not activating after processor and motherboard upgrades

1. Windows 10 not activating after processor and motherboard upgrades - Similar Threads - activating processor motherboard

2. cant activate windows after upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant activate windows after upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM: i recently upgraded my motherboard, RAM and processor.after logging in and updating my drivers my windows started saying "activate windows"after going to the activation page and logging in.the activation wizard fails and then says contact support.i was on windows 10 before...
  3. cant activate windows after upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant activate windows after upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM: i recently upgraded my motherboard, RAM and processor.after logging in and updating my drivers my windows started saying "activate windows"after going to the activation page and logging in.the activation wizard fails and then says contact support.i was on windows 10 before...
  4. Windows activation after changing my motherboard and processor

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation after changing my motherboard and processor: After changing my motherboard my windows is requiring an activation, it wasn't the free version I bought it previously with no issues, i got the code, when I enter it I get an error still, my license is Volume. trouble shooting is not helping, any idea what should be...
  5. Windows 10 unable to activate after replace motherboard, processor and ram

Windows 10 unable to activate after replace motherboard, processor and ram: Hi Microsoft,My old processor malfunctioned few days back and got replacement consider upgraded due to part availability. But I cant activate the Windows 10.My Windows 10 was free upgrade from, Windows 7 many years ago. I have my Windows 7 key....
  6. Windows 10 Not activating after Motherboard Upgrade

Windows 10 Not activating after Motherboard Upgrade: Hi there, I've seen a couple of posts but i havn't had any luck with the solutions, I upgraded my motherboard and CPU yesterday and since booting my PC windows has had this annoying watermark in the bottom right of my screen. I built this PC in 2017 and i'm not sure i...
  7. Windows not activating after I upgraded my motherboard and processor

Windows not activating after I upgraded my motherboard and processor: I've just upgraded my motherboard and processor and windows will not activate. I'm guessing it appears to be a whole new device maybe? If so, is there any way I can deactivate it on the old device and activate it on the new one?...
  8. Activating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Activating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: Having some trouble activating windows 10 after installing a new motherboard. Since I upgraded from windows 7 to 10 awhile back, I have a digital license instead of a product key. I know normally having an OEM version wouldn't allow me to have windows 10 between...
  9. Windows Activation after motherboard upgrade

Windows Activation after motherboard upgrade: Hello, when i bought my pc i bought a physical windows key. After some time it disappeared and i had to chat with support for them to give me another because the key randomly vanished. Now i changed my motherboard and it says i need to activate my windows. I've tried...
  10. WIndows 10 activation after motherboard upgrade

WIndows 10 activation after motherboard upgrade: Hi, I have just upgraded my motherboard and have to re-activate windows. When I select the device via the troubleshooter I get the message that I can't reactivate. Looking at my Microsoft account I can see that the machine is listed twice (once for each motherboard). Do I...